Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Any XC Riders Riding with a Full Faced Helmet??

Hey all--
    Just as the title asks...anyone riding primarily XC ride regularly with a FF helmet? If so, which one and why? Recommendations for an affordable ($150 or below), light, and cool helmet?

I am thinking of making the switch but am concerned about how hot the FF can get in summer. I ride in NorCal and do just enough riding through rock gardens that I would hate to lose my chicklets during a ride one day . I don't crash a lot but like the idea of the extra insurance/protection of the FF. Looking for feedback from anyone that has made the switch.

Thanks in advance.
    Tom
    Last edited by OnThaCouch; 10-16-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Bad grammerz...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I wish i had one on when I endoed earlier this year!

mtbr member
    Lots of wisdom in that statement. Thanks for the input.

I guess I'll be doing some FF shopping soon.

Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post

mtbr member
    I hope you healed up quickly and were back out on the trails without too much downtime.

If you don't mind me asking, what were the extent of your injuries? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Chin hit the ground, caused a lot of strain on neck muscles and kept me off of trails for about 2 months since it couldn't take any jarring. I always wondered what it would have been like if i had a full face and the chin of the helmet took the impact instead.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear. Glad that it sounds like you're back out there now.

Seems like the full faced helmet is cheap insurance for the trails. The pros outweigh the cons especially for those of us needing to make it back to work on Mondays.

Chin hit the ground, caused a lot of strain on neck muscles and kept me off of trails for about 2 months since it couldn't take any jarring. I always wondered what it would have been like if i had a full face and the chin of the helmet took the impact instead.

beater
    I'll add my experience as a counterweight. Pedaling in a full-face helmet is really unpleasant. It's not too bad once you get into shoulder season temperatures (40s, say), but otherwise it's not much fun. The chin bar makes it more difficult to get a drink from a hydration bladder, and I'd guess drinking from a bottle is even harder. You also can't hear as well.

I've had dental work resulting from a crash. I had a difficult time not imagining smacking my face into rocks for a few weeks after that. It took one pedally ride with a full-face to cure me of that fear. I still wear mine if I'm doing a ride that's pretty an up-and-back ride, but that's a small minority of my rides. If you're dead set on it, I recommend what a friend of mine does - she switches between a half shell and a full-face at the top of any significant descent. Too much bother for me, though.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Ow!
    Sometimes I wear a lid when I do pure XC, but I wear a MET Parachute for most of my riding. It is a XC helmet with added bits. Not much more hot than a regular lid, but, again, it is an XC helmet. I heard MET may not be making them anymore, but you likely can still get them on E-bay (where I got mine). Certainly more than $150 though.

I picked up an Urge Archi-Enduro this summer and tried for the first time last week. It is cooler now (live in Tucson), but still warm enough to check it out. Wasn't bad at all (70+), but I doubt I would try it on my early morning summer rides (in August at 5:30 AM, 80d and muggy). It does limit hearing a little, which, right now is a concern (rattlesnakes may be out in the day). I will likely wear it more this fall/winter/spring and put it away for the summer.

Search through this and other threads (AM is a good one). There are a lot of discussions about wearing FF and how hot it can be. Well worth the decrease in comfort for me--my falls are usually stupid falls, which surprise me enough to maybe not fall correctly.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the counterpoints. Lots to think about. Lots of the little "conveniences" of wearing a half-shell don't make themselves apparent until wearing the FF. I do sweat a lot and would need a pretty well ventilated helmet. Being in NorCal it gets soooo hot here in the summer. Overheating all the time would probably offset some of the pros of a FF. Might be a deal breaker more than some of the other points.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I'll add my experience as a counterweight. Pedaling in a full-face helmet is really unpleasant. It's not too bad once you get into shoulder season temperatures (40s, say), but otherwise it's not much fun. The chin bar makes it more difficult to get a drink from a hydration bladder, and I'd guess drinking from a bottle is even harder. You also can't hear as well.

I've had dental work resulting from a crash. I had a difficult time not imagining smacking my face into rocks for a few weeks after that. It took one pedally ride with a full-face to cure me of that fear. I still wear mine if I'm doing a ride that's pretty an up-and-back ride, but that's a small minority of my rides. If you're dead set on it, I recommend what a friend of mine does - she switches between a half shell and a full-face at the top of any significant descent. Too much bother for me, though.

mtbr member
    Keep the good stuff rollin' everyone. Thanks for the heads up on the AM threads clydecrash. I will check those out too.

Like I mentioned earlier, being a sweater, I am mostly concerned with the overheating aspect. If I could find a "reasonably" cool FF, I think I could live with it. Like you mentioned, to me, it is worth the decrease in comfort to be protected.

Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    Sometimes I wear a lid when I do pure XC, but I wear a MET Parachute for most of my riding. It is a XC helmet with added bits. Not much more hot than a regular lid, but, again, it is an XC helmet. I heard MET may not be making them anymore, but you likely can still get them on E-bay (where I got mine). Certainly more than $150 though.

I picked up an Urge Archi-Enduro this summer and tried for the first time last week. It is cooler now (live in Tucson), but still warm enough to check it out. Wasn't bad at all (70+), but I doubt I would try it on my early morning summer rides (in August at 5:30 AM, 80d and muggy). It does limit hearing a little, which, right now is a concern (rattlesnakes may be out in the day). I will likely wear it more this fall/winter/spring and put it away for the summer.

Search through this and other threads (AM is a good one). There are a lot of discussions about wearing FF and how hot it can be. Well worth the decrease in comfort for me--my falls are usually stupid falls, which surprise me enough to maybe not fall correctly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its a tuff call. I'm in the same boat and just bought a DownOmatic. We'll see when it warms up next summer. So far I hope I'll be able to deal with the added heat for the protection.
    I've had plenty of crashes over the years and always managed not to face plant, then about a month ago a simple front end wash out turned into a highside and face plant- trip to ER and 2 scars on my face.

Even my riding buddy that saw it happen is having a hard time with 1/2 domes now and debating getting a FF for XC.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    My biggest worry when riding (albeit it doesn't distract or stop me from riding) is what you mention. Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Its a tuff call. I'm in the same boat and just bought a DownOmatic. We'll see when it warms up next summer. So far I hope I'll be able to deal with the added heat for the protection.
    I've had plenty of crashes over the years and always managed not to face plant, then about a month ago a simple front end wash out turned into a highside and face plant- trip to ER and 2 scars on my face.

Even my riding buddy that saw it happen is having a hard time with 1/2 domes now and debating getting a FF for XC.

Working on my Drops
    I usually strap the FF on my backpack on the long sustained climbs and put it on the descents/up and downs. I have the Urge downomatic and in norcal too.

But at the rate I climb, I don't need a helmet for the long sustained ups.
    2011 Turner DHR
    2011 Intense Tazer FRO

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i would recommend trying out a specialized deviant (i had the old version)--it's pretty well vented, and basically an XC lid w/ a face guard.

i use a specialized dissdent myself, but it gets quite hot (heat doesn't bother me too much, however). i also ride in nor cal, mostly annadel, t-rancho and soquel demo forest. in annadel, on cobblestone or rough go trails, i definitely appreciate the FF helmet.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I used to ride xc with a ff specialized and even in our wet cold winters it was hot ... however, it provided extra protection from low hanging tree branches and since we have a lot of downed trees with sharp broken branches sticking up, having a ff to prevent getting a sharp stick in the eye isn't a bad precaution.

Also helped one time when shifting over on bike to clear a tree and smacked face first into the next tree -- definitely a wake up call and didn't try that move again afterwards ...

Helmet broke and was replaced with an open lid with lots of vents and its nice and cool but I do miss the added protection even if it looked geeky riding xc with that thing on my head.

mtbr member
    Ever considered just wearing a mouth guard? It would help keep the little white bits where they're supposed to be. You could even strap it to a hydration pack and just wear it during the descents and other sketchy bits.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spor...e=off&tbm=shop
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I ride a lot with a full facer, mostly in the warmer weather as once the conditions get worse and the slop increases I tend to slow down so less of a major risk of damage. I use an urge archi enduro so its got a lot more air flow to the mouth and makes drinking from a bladder still quite an easy task.

For a little bit of background as to why i chose to ride like that at the end of April this year I clipped a tree going approx 30mph, the next thing I knew I was on the phone to 999 trying to tell them, with major concussion and a broken face, where I was in the middle of the forest. I'd broken my jaw in 3 places and knocked 3 of my front teeth completely out. I now have a few scars, titanium plate and false teeth, I've also lost part of the sensation from my chin where they had to cut through my lip and therefore my nerves to fix the break. My OH had to receive the phone call from 999 emergency services to tell him his fiance was in the forest hurt and I had to experience the sensation that they may never find me and I may end up dying in the forest!

Trail Ninja
    I used to. I stopped because I figured it was too heavy for some 2+ hour group rides and I had a light mount on my half shell for night riding, but no mount for my FF. Surprisingly wasn't hot at all, but I always wear a cheap $1 bandana underneath no matter what the helmet. I think it blocked out the sun and kept away the bugs and low hanging brush vegetation well enough to make it feel worth it and comfy enough in the summer.

Getting the rear a bit sideways on a 29er (note the XC semi slick tires, rotor size, and limited fork travel):

Older pic on a Gary Fisher/Trek Superfly 100 (XC FS bike):

My original reason for wearing it is that I have no health insurance and that the helmet and pads would be my insurance. Seeing pics of Aaron Gwin losing his teeth worried me too.

The FF helmet can be useful when **** like this happens to me, like flying into a ditch at speed on a hardtail:

Or faceplanting after going off a jump and panicking when I see someone standing on the route I intend to take (not on an XC bike):

Bikes are getting more capable and faster. No shame in wearing a FF. Not really geeky looking as long it's not one of those visor-less ones. Can do stuff on modern XC bikes that some of the other guys hesitate doing on their older long travel bikes.

mtbr member
    I always wear my FF. but in my area we have tons of rocks.. you go down it's never in soft stuff. It's confidence inspiring to have your face protected. And you get used to it after a few weeks. of wearing it. I wear a camelbak so water is not an issue. If you want a great deal then check this out. T.H.E. T2 Carbon Fiber Helmet > Apparel > Helmets > Men's Helmets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I'll be ordering this on payday. I have been using a Giro Remedy lid for the last year but I've been wanting to go to carbon for a while. It's light and protects.. It's right around 1000grams.. which is very nice.

Good luck..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    I always wear my FF. but in my area we have tons of rocks.. you go down it's never in soft stuff. It's confidence inspiring to have your face protected. And you get used to it after a few weeks. of wearing it. I wear a camelbak so water is not an issue. If you want a great deal then check this out. T.H.E. T2 Carbon Fiber Helmet > Apparel > Helmets > Men's Helmets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I'll be ordering this on payday. I have been using a Giro Remedy lid for the last year but I've been wanting to go to carbon for a while. It's light and protects.. It's right around 1000grams.. which is very nice.

Good luck..
    If you have a lot of rocks and ride fast you may want to make sure the helmet is ASTM-1952 certified otherwise the chin bar hasn't been test and you're hoping it works.

I actually have 2 FF helmets, one for downhill lift riding and one for XC riding. Since my XC is all up and downs without any long climbs and long fast downhills, I wasn't as worried about the chin bar tests because of the slow speeds.

For downhill, I went with the POC cortex MIPS, at the downhills speeds I wanted the MIPS for concussion protection. As soon as someone releases a MIPS ASTM-1952 helmet, I'll be all over it.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have seriously considered switching to FF for my rides as I've had a couple close calls. The problem with me is that everyone once in awhile I get complacent when riding and that's when Ive almost smashed my face. Here in PHX, we have some trails that have some nice kitty litter at just the right places and I've bit it quite a few times around turns and going down hill that has made my slow down. Now that its getting colder, I am seriously considering it. Even if other riders say something, who cares....its your face.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    I have seriously considered switching to FF for my rides as I've had a couple close calls. The problem with me is that everyone once in awhile I get complacent when riding and that's when Ive almost smashed my face. Here in PHX, we have some trails that have some nice kitty litter at just the right places and I've bit it quite a few times around turns and going down hill that has made my slow down. Now that its getting colder, I am seriously considering it. Even if other riders say something, who cares....its your face.
    Who gives a ****. I can guaranty one thing, you'll get a lot more looks in everyday life with scars on your face.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Who gives a ****. I can guaranty one thing, you'll get a lot more looks in everyday life with scars on your face.
    truth. Kind of what I was going for but he said it better.

Trail Ninja
    A big boon with FF helmets is that it goes hand in hand with goggles. You don't realize how much your vision is being impaired by typical eyewear that you'd use with half shells until you try some quality goggles. This was my setup, when it was brand new:

I've since replaced the helmet after a big crash and wasn't too happy with the newer model's looks. Saved my noggin for sure.

The MIPS thing interested me, but when I tried to verify the claims, it turns out that bike helmets aren't really that tightly affixed to the head that a small amount of slip offered by MIPS (~5mm) is that significant compared to the amount of slip a helmet experiences anyways due to how loose people secure their helmets anyways. I was not convinced enough to pay the extra amount for it.

If anything, I'd like for some new materials to break into the FF market. Something like Koroyd would be welcome to help reduce weight, bulk, and stand up to multiple hits.

Working on my Drops
    The downplaying is sub 1000 grama and cheaper than most carbon helmets
    2011 Turner DHR
    2011 Intense Tazer FRO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast