mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Any way to stiffen the sole of cycling shoes? (stiff inner soles?)

There's only a few cycling shoes available in my size (50-52 depending on shoe) and my current shoes (Shimano M087) could do with being a bit stiffer in the sole. I use XTR race pedals and the small platform is quite obvious through the sole of the shoes. A carbon sole would be great but I don't think there's anything in my size.

I'm wondering if there's any way to stiffen them up or aftermarket inner soles that are really stiff but still comfortable?

DIY all the way
    Back in the day when it was a general issue, I made carbon fiber inlays for my shoes.

Maybe you should try the same.

Magura

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Back in the day when it was a general issue, I made carbon fiber inlays for my shoes.

Maybe you should try the same.

Magura
    Interesting! Any tips on the process you used?

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid_Android View Post
    Interesting! Any tips on the process you used?
    You gotta be a wee bit more specific, to give me a chance to answer that question

Magura

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I guess I'm wondering exactly what you mean by 'inlay'? Something in addition to the inner sole? Below it? Attached to it? What shape and thickness did you use? Did it just sit in the shoe or was it fastened somehow? Where'd you source the carbon fibre? How'd you layer it etc?

Thanks!!!

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid_Android View Post
    I guess I'm wondering exactly what you mean by 'inlay'? Something in addition to the inner sole? Below it? Attached to it? What shape and thickness did you use? Did it just sit in the shoe or was it fastened somehow? Where'd you source the carbon fibre? How'd you layer it etc?

Thanks!!!
    I put it below the inner sole, it was glued in, it took up the space of the front half of the shoe.

As I recall, I made it 2.5mm thick.

Carbon fiber can be sourced loads of places, depending where you're situated. I usually buy composite materials from Fibermax Composites.

The layup was twill 45-0-45-0.

Magura

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thank you very much good sir. That's what I was envisaging. I actually have a podiatrist appointment soon, to follow up on my orthotics, so I might mention it to him too.