MTBer

Any suggestions for a new pair of liner shorts?

Alright. So I have been wearing Pearl Izumi Liner shorts and I have been riding 4-5 days a week for the past 4 months. I bought a few pairs and they all somehow seem to have lost their padding features. As I can feel numbness at times and discomfort in longer rides. I am in the market for a better liner with thicker padding? I have been looking at Canary so far, But I still am not convinced. Any suggestions guys?
    2013 Airborne Goblin
    2012 Trek RumbleFish Elite

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    How long have you been riding in general?

My Pearl Izumi shorts are amongst my favorite ones. LG's seem to work well too.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    How long have you been riding in general?

My Pearl Izumi shorts are amongst my favorite ones. LG's seem to work well too.
    Two years now shredding trails. Before that it was road biking normal stuff.
    2013 Airborne Goblin
    2012 Trek RumbleFish Elite

mtbr member
    I like Zoic the best so far. You may need to revisit your seat.

I've always felt that the sign of a good seat was when the liner you have doesn't make much difference in comfort.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I had a pair of OCG shorts years ago that had a gel chamois.....most comfortable shorts I ever owned, she'd a tear when I grew out of them, er, I mean when they shrunk........

Sorry, I know the above post fall under the category of coll starry bra!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Another ZOIC fan here. I just got a pair of their liners about a month ago and they are pretty comfortable, and for the price ($35) you can't beat them! Visit their website for a 20% off coupon. Best part of liners is I can wear shorts that I like (and didn't have to pay $60 for a logo).
    Last edited by dfrink; 04-14-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: wrong price quoted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrink View Post
    Another ZOIC fan here. I just got a pair of their liners about a month ago and they are pretty comfortable, and for the price ($35) you can't beat them! Visit their website for a 20% off coupon. Best part of liners is I can wear shorts that I like (and didn't have to pay $60 for a logo).
    Do you have the regular liner or the premium one? I have the regular ones as well and they are decent/above average but would still like something better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have the regular one. I'm pleased with them so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I second looking more toward your saddle than your liner pad. Once the liner pad gets to thick or big it feels like your wearing a big diaper. What you describe would indicate your saddle not being a good fit for you or even not adjusted well. I've ridden a LOT of saddles over the years & for mountain biking I am 100% sold on the sizing concept of specialized saddles. I am on my second specialized saddle & not only are they more comfortable but they offer way more support as a platform to pedal from. With all that said I like Fox Racing Evolution Ride Liner Shorts - Men's | Backcountry.com . Breath great & last several seasons.

mtbr member

Re: Any suggestions for a new pair of liner shorts?

Quote Originally Posted by dubbaduba View Post
    Do you have the regular liner or the premium one? I have the regular ones as well and they are decent/above average but would still like something better.
    I have one of each and can't tell the difference.

sent remotely

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I like Zoic shorts too. not sure if its for the liner, or for the outer shorts. I actually wear the outer shorts (without the liner) when not riding sometimes...

mtbr member

Re: Any suggestions for a new pair of liner shorts?

I've had good luck with both Zoic and Jett MTB inner shorts.

mtbr member
    Pearl Izumi has been great to me.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I wear bibs under my baggies and would never go back to regular shorts. I have 4 brands currently and they all do a good job as long as the bibs fit properly. If you are going numb it's likely your saddle and or it's position and tilt.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Pearl Izumi is always a safe bet. I've been using some TLD ace inner shorts and have been pleasantly surprised with them -the lycra panel on the lower leg is much more comfortable than the typical elastic band imo. https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/0841-12

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I buy premium road shorts and as they age they become my "Liner shorts" for MTB. You get what you pay for. Shorts for the Century (100 mile) ride start at about $100.00. They're worth it if you spend long days on the saddle. They also last for many years. I currently am using Sugoi. I also have a pair of Louis Garneau bibs that I use for 100 mile rides. I have friends who swear by Assos but I haven't been able to part with that much cash for a pair of shorts.