mtbr member

any Dux Helm users?...

gonna get a new helmet and found a 2013 Interbike video re Dux Helm helmets. The thing that really interests me (along with excellent protection) is the built-in retracting visor...the visor allows glasses to be worn and is available in several shades. They are also about as fashionable as possible for a helmet. Pricing direct is $199 for the helmet and three visor/shades. Anybody touched one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    gonna get a new helmet and found a 2013 Interbike video re Dux Helm helmets. The thing that really interests me (along with excellent protection) is the built-in retracting visor...the visor allows glasses to be worn and is available in several shades. They are also about as fashionable as possible for a helmet. Pricing direct is $199 for the helmet and three visor/shades. Anybody touched one?
    apparently not...guess I'll pull the trigger and let you know my thoughts after wearing it a bit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails any Dux Helm users?...-53-300-thickbox.jpg  

any Dux Helm users?...-53-301-thickbox.jpg  

any Dux Helm users?...-53-303-thickbox.jpg  

any Dux Helm users?...-46-311-thickbox.jpg  

any Dux Helm users?...-46-309-thickbox.jpg  

any Dux Helm users?...-46-310-thickbox.jpg  

2014 Nail Trail 29er

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    We just got one of these in for testing just the other day. Francis is testing it. I tried it on and the fit is good and seems easy to adjust. The visor is an interesting feature, for sure.

AZ
    banned
    Hey Gregg, do you know how many visors this helmet comes with? I know that there are three different colors but info is pretty scarce. I see different colors available but can't tell if there is even one included with a helmet purchase. TIA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Hey Gregg, do you know how many visors this helmet comes with? I know that there are three different colors but info is pretty scarce. I see different colors available but can't tell if there is even one included with a helmet purchase. TIA.
    check out the Interbike video...I am sure one is included, but I also seem to have read that you get one of each, clear, amber and gray, with the higher dollar version. I guess I should have checked before this, huh!
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i want to see how this really works on someone that is wearing eyeglasses.......the visor seems to sit back on the face a bit to far in the pics ive seen........i will too be awaiting pics

AZ
    banned
    Uhmmm, yeah, Bike Radar gives it a "Neat idea but lacking execution". Guess I'll wait until its been refined a bit.

Dux Helm helmet - BikeRadar

mtbr member

we all know...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Uhmmm, yeah, Bike Radar gives it a "Neat idea but lacking execution". Guess I'll wait until its been refined a bit.

Dux Helm helmet - BikeRadar
    that opinions are like...at any rate, I do wear glasses and the retractable shield is the main focus for me...I got me one coming and we shall see...I am optimistic, and I am way too old to "wait until..."
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

AZ
    banned
    Yeah I wear glasses myself, that drive my interest in them. But this gives me enough pause to wait:

"And because the lens is positioned so much further away from your face than conventional sunglasses there's a lot of wind hitting your face"

That is from the review. The wind getting past my glasses is what I'm attempting to mitigate and this sounds like it exacerbates the problem, I was hoping that this was a lower cost option than plan A, prescription sunglasses. Thanks for posting this.

Hey All,

It comes with just one lens (smoke black). Amber and Clear are available for +$30. each.

Just chatted with Francis who took it for one ride so far and he didn't notice excessive wind hitting his face. He said it might make a good dedicated night ride helmet (with the clear lens, naturally).

I also wear prescription glasses and my prescription is not that heavy, so I've never bothered with contacts (yet). You can fit glasses underneath, dependent upon the profile of your glasses, of course.

If you want to have less wind hitting your face, you can just pivot the helmet forward on your head a bit (obviously, not so far that the helmet comes up too far in the back, exposing the back of your head), thus moving the shield farther down your face.

It's an item that looks funky and definitely leaves itself wide open to ridicule, but the helmet itself is legit in build quality. I'm not the one testing it, but after holding it and trying it on, I'm pleasantly surprised.

mtbr member

thanks Gregg...

and I will let you know how it works for me...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

AZ
    banned
    Thanks Gregg.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any updates? This is a really cool looking helmet!

Currently, we are working on an Enduro helmet comparison, but Francis has still been riding with Dux helm too. Not forgotten, but need a bit more time for our write-up.