mtbr member

Another reason to wear a helmet

Went trail riding today in the woods up above the Santa Cruz campus. Friend brings along his friend, who shows up wearing a bandana.
    'You want to borrow a helmet, man? Got a spare in the car...'
    'Nah, i haven't fallen on my head in years'

Whatever, he's not my friend.

45 minutes later we're enjoying Santa cruz' buff trails filled with trees and sticks. Perfect SC weather, cool, a light drizzle of rain, dry trails with enough moisture to make the trails really stick and keep the logovers from being too boring. I was following the fella at a good clip down a gentle grade when i hear 'WHACK...aaghhh!' He hadn't ducked enough to get under a limb, and taken the branch to the head. He had to stop because he knocked himself silly... I had to stop because I couldn't stop laughing. Tempt Fate, and Fate will whack you upside the head.

Do i regret laughing at this poor guy after taking a baseball bat to the head? Nope, not even when after a few beers that evening his forehead looked like it was ready to give birth.

cheers.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Karma....bad juju.

Serious....no helmet? I G N O R A N T. It's his life but what a 'tard. I'd laugh my a$$ off too (since he was relatively OK).

yeah, uh............bikes
    I've broken more helmets like that than I have actually falling and hitting the ground. Not a fan of those overhead branches.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Consider your melon is 5 mm thick.....
    The rest is pure speculation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I went riding here in eastern PA the morning after a significant ice storm. The trails were great - just really crunchy. But the low hanging branches!!! I hit my head every 100 ft. or so!! No helmet = no brains.

Hup, Hup
    Ouch!! That brings back some memories. I have this friend who wanted to start riding offroad about six or seven years ago. We had arranged to meet at the trailhead after work and upon my arrival I saw him tooling around the parking lot with only his bandana on his head. Once I got my bike and gear situated I handed him my backup helmet, which I brought just in case of a situation like this, and insisted that he wear it. He was reluctant but took it anyways and sure enough he ended up using it. Steep downhill, narrow bridge over a shallow ravine, and then a tight right-hander at the end of the bridge which caught him off guard and sent him OTB. He was a little loopy afterwards and the helmet was ruined. He still loves MTBing and he always wears a helmet today.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member

No helmet is great...

...and sooooo tough. I say let people decide if they want to use safety equipment, but if you crash without a helmet, seatbelt, etc. don't expect help from the rest of us. Darwin Award recipient guaranteed! I would prefer that we refuse medical services to people who make that choice, rather than punish them with tickets, etc. Your life, your choice, it's good for the gene pool.

DRS

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    wear a helmet.

i've banged my head on so many tree branches i've lost count. and i have the gashes in my helmets to prove it.

Never trust a fart
    Natural selection at its best. haha

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by drsmonkey
    ...and sooooo tough. I say let people decide if they want to use safety equipment, but if you crash without a helmet, seatbelt, etc. don't expect help from the rest of us. Darwin Award recipient guaranteed! I would prefer that we refuse medical services to people who make that choice, rather than punish them with tickets, etc. Your life, your choice, it's good for the gene pool.

DRS
    Yeah, and if some fool rides a mountain bike and gets hurt, all those non-mountain bikers should refuse to offer medical services since nobody forced him to ride a mountain bike... Doesn't anybody see the problem with this sort of argument? Oh, wait, it's about the so-called "safety equipment". So if I strap a rocket to my car but I wear my seatbelt, that is perfectly reasonable, right? Or more to the point, if one guy rides his mountain bike with skill and rides within his abilities but doesn't wear a helmet and has a once-in-a-very-long-while crash, we shouldn't help him, but the guy who rides his bike off of a 3 story building with full safety gear and splats into the pavement deserves medical treatment?

Ah, the Self Righteious Cult of the Bike Helmet. It never ends.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Riding without a helmet is a liability for everyone. At most of the places I ride it's mandatory to wear a helmet. If a rider ignores the rules and cracks his/her skull it puts the entire trail system at risk. Lawsuits and liability are big down here and no one wants to have a person seriously injured in "an unsafe environment/activity". Counties won't support mtb trails in their parks or on their land, insurance companies won't insure parks/land for clubs, organizations won't receive local/state funding to develop trails, mountain bikers will be seen as crazies that do nothing but cause trouble by getting themselves hurt.

If you don't wear a helmet you put everything at risk.

Members who have read this thread: 0