mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Amazing Coating that Coud be Used for Mounatin Biking Gear

I recently read about a spray on coating that is supposed to be available to consumers mid 2012. It makes any surface super hydrophobic and I thought it could be used on bike apparel. It seems like this coating is very durable and it is a big jump compared to products currently on the market. Anything with this coating will stay clean and dry. The website has a bunch of videos with demonstrations. What does everyone think about this? Would it work well for mountain biking gear? Superhydrophobic Coatings | Corrosion Control & Waterproof Coatings | NeverWet
    Here is a video about the coating on YouTube.
    Ross Nanotechnology Introduction.flv - YouTube

Here is a picture with a jacket that has had the coating applied.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would spray that stuff on my drive-way but not on my biking gear........the issue with riding gear like jackets is it should keep the water out but should be breathable to let your perspiration out......that stuff looks like it would be the same as wearing a PVC jacket.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    From what I have read, it is breathable. I think it coats individual fibers rather than forming a membrane, in which case it would breather even more than eVent. I sent them an email yesterday to find out about the breathability.

SamIAm
    could i spray it on my frame/wheels to keep water/mud from sticking as well?
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227 View Post
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't. The only places I wouldn't want to spray it is on the tires and moving parts that need lubrication.

Nickel Havr
    I have the same jacket... With the coating. (Under Armor)
    My buddy has an Oakley jacket with the coating as well...

It breathes well and is amazing when water hits it! It just rolls right off!
    If a fat raindrop hits it, it will actually bounce...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Will water go through it if you rub the water on the jacket the way a regular DWR is not completely waterproof or is it completely impervious to water to the point of being able to replace a hard shell rain jacket in stormy weather? Also, is there any decrease in breathability and how does it compare to gore-tex?

usually cranky
    i have an oakley sweatshirt coated in something like that, good stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you want to keep your frame clean, then use car wax. It makes clean up very easy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227 View Post
    try pedros bike lust polish,,, clean your bike dry it off then spray on the pedros bike lust then wipe off, it's silicon based so the mud will wash off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    that is some pretty cool stuff!, i would be concerned about breathability as well but seeing as it has been addressed, its something to keep an eye out for!