mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Affordable, yet effective MTB Shoe?

I'm looking for a replacement shoe for my Shimano M077, which I've had for a few years. I want a comfortable shoe with effective enough lugs to hike a bike, when needed over rocks and through creeks in north GA. I'm looking for the best made, comfortable shoe under $125. I initially thought I'd give the Specialized Sport MTB's a try, but all reviews say that they've gone drastically downhill in quality the past few years. I'm also looking at the Shimano XC30, but can't find many reviews on them. I prefer velcro straps or a BOA Dial, like the Scott Trail BOA, instead of laces. Anyone have an affordable shoe that they like a lot?

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Mavic Rush/Razor. Same shoe, goes by two names. $129 and you can get them 15% off at bike tires direct and get 10% credit of your purchase amount back towards a future
    Purchase. Free Shipping on orders over $99 and no sales tax. I have two pairs I love. Been going strong for a couple of years.

Not affiliated with BTD. That's just where I've found the best price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've been a fan of the Serfas Trax, and just bought my second pair. At $90, they are a performance bargain and are stiffer than the Lakes I used to wear. Great hike a bike shoe. I was skeptical of the Serfas name, but they work really well...especially if you don't have little ballerina feet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I love my Sidis, but Giro Privateers are very nice for the price.

Nor­wegr
    I like my Mavic Alpines for regular everyday mountainbiking. Affordable and good quality.
    For those days that all I want to do is spin the wheels on the XC bike though I'd probably get my Mavic Furys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorn240 View Post
    I love my Sidis, but Giro Privateers are very nice for the price.
    I bought a pair of Sidis cycling shoes for my bother last month, and he said the shoes are robust, comfortable, easy to hop in and out of the shoes and still has a good/ tight fit. It cost me about $200 and maybe its price is a little beyond the budget of OP.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks. Does anyone know how the Lake's fit relative to Shimano? None of the LBS's sell Lake, so I can't try them on. I'm generally a size 47 in Shimano.

mtbr member
    M162 Shimano

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    5.10's

mtbr member
    Keep an eye out at LBSs for last year's models that are on sale. Or try and find a used outdoor gear seller. There are ways to be a dirt bag and still acquire top quality gear.

Also, "5.10s" is a good recommendation.