mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Affordable winter riding gear?

Any Suggestions on getting a winter riding gear set w/o breaking the bank?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you're not looking for bike specific gear, check out target. They have softshells and winter compressions by champion. Picked up a water repellant, wind proof 3\4 zip for 25.

mtbr member
    REI sells quality gear at a reasonable price, plus you get a membership dividend every year.$75.00 may seem like alot however other well known brands cost 25-50 bucks more for heavy lined tights.I have owned these for well over ten years,very durable.Novara Express 2.0 Bike Pants - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com problem with pants or jackets not bike specific is that most likely you end up with plumbers butt

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Look on Nashbar for closeout gear. Go to a running store or a cross country ski store and see if they have a clearance rack I bought a Pearl Izumi shell at a ski shop for something like 50% off. I have a pair of Swix XC ski gloves that I like more than ay winter-weight biking gloves I have ever tried. Target, as someone else suggested, is a good idea. Any non-cotton clothing can be good. I have a pair of hiking pants that look somewhat like kahki dress pants (think Dockers) that I often wear over a pair of fall-weight tights. I put rubber bands around the ankles to keep them from flapping around. That two-layer combo is very nice when it gets cold. I got the hiking pants at REI for less than $20 on a sale rack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Depends on where you live. It looks like you're in Arkansas? How cold does it average during the winter?

I am in Atlanta and a cold day here is in the low 30's. What I have found is that I can get by with my normal summer shorts and leg warmers for the bottom. For the top, I have a wind resistant, light weight and water resistant top. It is good because I can layer underneath it depending on the temp. A thermal like an underarmor top and a jersey, then the windbreaker and I'm ok. Skully and winter gloves round out the lot. I have found that a win proof fleece ($$) is usually overkill once I get warmed up.

The cycling specific windbreakers with the soft shell front and more breathable back are awesome but I've not seen one of them for less than $200.

You can also look at any of the winter run ing gear from the big sports stores like *****, etc. they are usually much less $$ than cycling specific gear. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Buy your gear during off season when it's marked down to nothing. I do this every year on regular clothing and save a bundle.

mtbr member
    What is recommended for Boots/shoes that are insulated and good with flats?