Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sleevem1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    233

    661 Recon Stealth helmet opinions

    I was wondering if anyone can provide some feedback on the 2013 661 Recon Stealth helmets. I can get one for around $60.00 but not sure to go with it or the Fox Flux or maybe Poc trabec if i can ever find the black one on sale .

  2. #2
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,525
    Its a bloody great helmet, i ditched my flux for it and couldnt be happier, its got better straps than the flux, its lighter, better pads, better airflow, and it feels great, ive a 61cm head, i got the L/XL and its perfect, i also own 661 FF helmets, the same goes for them.
    i highly recommend the recon, and for 60 bucks you cant go wrong.

    P.S it looks slick in the matte black, lol all helmets look better in matte black
    cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  3. #3
    Quiet Professional
    Reputation: chef7734's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    515
    I was in the same delima but the recon was no where near that price. I went with the camo flux as I paid around 40.00 for it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eclipse24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    851
    I'll second what Tone posted for the Recon. My two current helmets are the Recon and Uvex xp cc. Both are great, but the recon has more padding. However, I really like the Uvex dial retention system and chin strap. I think I paid $80 for the recon and $50 something (on sale) for the uvex.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    209
    I'm interested too in the 661 and in a Giro hex. Could somebody tell me which one is the better and which has less "mushroom" effect on a 56-57cm head? Thanks!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: YamiRider1316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    263

    Re: 661 Recon Stealth helmet opinions

    Have owned a recon, trabec, hex and a few other lids. I would say forget them all and check out the giro feature. Best looking most comfortable helmet you can get IMO. And reasonably priced as well. Its all i wear now along with most of the people i ride with.

    Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BillClinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrider24 View Post
    I'm interested too in the 661 and in a Giro hex. Could somebody tell me which one is the better and which has less "mushroom" effect on a 56-57cm head? Thanks!
    I don't mean to resurrect this thread (great first post) but I am also torn between the two. Have heard that the 661 can have more of that mushroom effect. Also, can't find the Recon for less than $90 shipped. My lbs does not carry either.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RipRoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,339
    I used the 661 Recon for well over a year and really liked the overall fit. It is also a really good looking helmet. Venting was pretty good as well. The retention system was ok but did eventually break on one side but still usable (this was probably going on year 2). The retention system also cut into the back of my head a bit so I chamferd the edges of plastic which helped a little.

    Check Blue Sky Cycling for deals, it pops up for sale occasionally. Sweat Buster's also fits really well in this helmet.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BillClinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    I used the 661 Recon for well over a year and really liked the overall fit. It is also a really good looking helmet. Venting was pretty good as well. The retention system was ok but did eventually break on one side but still usable (this was probably going on year 2). The retention system also cut into the back of my head a bit so I chamferd the edges of plastic which helped a little.

    Check Blue Sky Cycling for deals, it pops up for sale occasionally. Sweat Buster's also fits really well in this helmet.
    Thanks for the feedback. BlueSky does have a pretty good deal going but hoping to find a bit cheaper. Maybe get lucky on chainlove or something.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RipRoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by BillClinton View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. BlueSky does have a pretty good deal going but hoping to find a bit cheaper. Maybe get lucky on chainlove or something.
    Keep checking I saw the 661 for $60 a few weeks ago on Blue Sky.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BillClinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    30
    I have one lined up for $75 shipped which is only a few bucks more than what that would come out to ^^ I just am torn between the Recon or Fox Striker

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •