mtbr member

661 Kyle Straight knee vs Roach Rally FR leg armor

I know you guys have discussed armor a lot on this forum but I am interest in opinions from those that have tried both 661 Kyle Straight Knee Guard and Roach Rally FR Leg Armor.

Which one do you like best?

I know you gain the shin protection with the Roach but do the shin guards make in considerable hotter?

The pads would be used on those days where I want to try to push my skills a bit. The trails I ride are mostly technical, rocky, southwest single track with the occasional drop and I am hoping the extra protection will help boost my confidence (and help prevent bodily harm). I do ride clipped in so I don’t have sharp meat tenderizers to smash my shins – still spds can do damage.
    Last edited by noosa2; 09-04-2007 at 05:02 AM.

mtbr member
    I use both those pads. I mean I used. For DH, bike park etc.

Started with the Roach - amazing pads. Loved them. Super protective etc.
    Then I got the Kyle Straits for "lighter days". That's what I thought, at least...
    They're unbelievable.
    You forget you have them on. Super comfy, NEVER slip, and a bunch of lateral protection. With the Roaches it was somewhat hard to pedal, they're super hot.
    PLUS, the 661s have some protection above the knee, which does help a lot.
    I'm running Syncros Mentals on my big bike. And have a scar to prove that. Freak accident in the parking lot... still didn't go back to my Roach pads.

Get the Kyle Strait and never look back. It's one of those products that was a home run from the start I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

calma
    I ride with the 661 and love them, but also ride with the fox shin depending on the ride, conditions, etc.

I am interested in trying out the new troy - lee Brian Lopes system - possible option to.

http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/ca...e.php?pID=1417

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i'm like Ro.nin

used the Roach FR leg armor for a long time.. definitely one of the best knee/shin guards out there. Super comfy, no slip, etc.. I did get some chafing after extended wear, and they did get hot for any kind of extended pedaling.

Got the Straits for the DJ days and lighter trail riding.. retired the Roach pads soon thereafter. Sure, the Straits don't offer the shin protection, but the added comfort and ventilation are well worth it.

mtbr member
    I've been riding with the new shorty pads from Rockgardn this summer on more technical decents (National and Corona Loma on South Mountain). The are very light weight and offer great protection without getting too warm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do what it takes to move through

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

mtbr member
    I m gonna say it depends on the trails you ride. I have only used the Rally pads. Why? Cause I want shin protection as well. It's not that knee pads only are bad. But they are half the protection. I can also ride FR/DH without a FF helmet. It's much cooler that way but I am sure glad I had it on when I Pete Rose slid on my face the other day. With a regular bike helmet I would have been spitting out teeth. I have only smacked my shin with my pedals once. It hurt like hell and lasted for 2 months. Bought the Rally's that week. Plus most of my trails have twigs and branches that stick out and poke and whip you as you go by. It's not just the ways I can think of getting hurt that I wear knee/shin pads. It also for the ways I can't think of getting hurt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doode
    I've been riding with the new shorty pads from Rockgardn this summer on more technical decents (National and Corona Loma on South Mountain). The are very light weight and offer great protection without getting too warm.
    Hey Doode, I am hoping the armor will give me the confidence to try the big waterfall on National.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    . It's not just the ways I can think of getting hurt that I wear knee/shin pads. It also for the ways I can't think of getting hurt.
    Good point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    Hey Doode, I am hoping the armor will give me the confidence to try the big waterfall on National.
    It definitely helps build confidence Good luck on the waterfall, its an accomplishment to make it down (or up)

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doode
    It definitely helps build confidence Good luck on the waterfall, its an accomplishment to make it down (or up)
    I am impressed when I see guys ride down the waterfall but I have seen a couple of guys make it up and it blew me away both times.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Knee pads are a fashion statement and are pointless (OK, they do protect your knee so there is some point to them). It's your shins that will take most of the beating when you start pushing yourself. Pedal slips will happen even with super grippy pedals and 5.10's. I have some wicked bad scars on my shins from over the years. Just the other day I was gapping up on to a wood platform and cased which cause my foot to slip off my pedal. Would have been crazy ugly without some shin protection.

I've noticed a lot of people with kneepads and bloody shins on the hill these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Knee pads are a fashion statement and are pointless...
    That is a silly statement. To put it lightly...

Ever seen an open knee? I thought so.
    Then you'd understand how a knee is so much harder to repair than a shin - which is just skin and bone... nothing complicated there.
    (until you get that, try not to make such statements on a public forum; some people might actually trust you and believe that...)

PLUS - a fixed knee will NEVER be as good as new.

But hey, I'm a poser. So I need my trendy knee pads. Cuz I hate crutches...
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    I do ride clipped in so I donít have sharp meat tenderizers to smash my shins Ė still spds can do damage.
    Err you might want to try reading the beginning of the post.

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I've been wearing the FR's for the last year and love them. I've also just picked up some 661 KS's for the simple rides. My right knee is screwed so I always like to have something protecting it.

mtbr member
    For rough rocky trail rides I really like the 661 KS's. Very comfortable although they get a little hot if you're climbing. Once I put them on I don't generally notice they are there. One thing I really like is the side padding

Now with More Wood
    Only good things to say about the Kyle Straits. They are super comfy yet give a very secure "wrapped" feeling to the knee. I literally forget I am wearing them (and I live in a pretty warm place...).
    For the shins (core samples hurt like h*ll) - Lizard Skin shin protectors and I'm good to go.

mtbr member
    I own both. I wear the Kyle Straights on the more AM'ish type trails, which is about 90% of my riding, and the Roach on the FR/DH stuff. I'd definitely wear the Roaches any time I rode with flats. As others have mentioned the Kyle Straights are comfortable enough to wear on most any ride. Although on long extended climbs I let them hang loose around my ankles.