Eyes of the world

661 bravo helmet problem

Be easy I'm a nooB Ok so I got the helmet in from Jenson they had great price on it so I decided to get it. Came in today and I put it on and it fits pretty good. Problem is there is absolutely no padding inside this helmet. I can smack the helmet when its on and it actually hurts more than just hitting my head without the helmet. Is this normal for a mtb helmet? Are there any helmets out there that have a decent amount of padding in them? I'm used to my nice a$$ shoei helmet for my sportbike which is really comfortable and padded. Do you guys think Jenson would trade the helmet? Thanks guys
    Find 'em hot leave 'em wet

Bionic Mtn Biker
    When you say "there is absolutely no padding inside this helmet", there's absolutely NO padding whatsoever? Or does the padding feel too thin that it causes discomfort?

If it's the first case, then look to see if the pads are in the box somewhere (should've already been on the helmet, though). What you're looking for is 8 removable coolmax pads. If you don't find the pads, call Jenson (or even 661) and explain your situation. They'll send you a set of pads.

If it's the second case, as long as you haven't used the helmet, you should be able to send it back for an exchange. The problem with buying online is that you can't try on items conveniently. Helmets are one of those items where proper fit is crucial to the effectiveness of its feature: skull protection, as well as comfort, the lack of which can be a distraction and hindrance to your ride. Here's a suggestion: if you can, go to an lbs and try on different brands and sizes and find one that fits and is padded perfectly. If they offer the same model at Jenson, exchange the Bravo for that model. If not, get the helmet at your lbs and send the helmet back for store credit or exchange for other bike-related goodies. Unfortunately, the cost of sending the item back will come out of your pocket.
    Better than he was before. Better. . . Stronger. . . Faster. (but not smarter)

Eyes of the world
    Yeah it's the second case the pads that are in there are like an 1/8 of an inch thick if that. If I remember right there were only like 3 or 4 pads in there. Any reccomendations on a helmet that has nice soft padding inside? I've got a big a$$ head by the way. The large XL 661 just barely fit. I think I'll take a trip down to the bicycle shop on my lunch break.
    Find 'em hot leave 'em wet

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertYota
    Yeah it's the second case the pads that are in there are like an 1/8 of an inch thick if that. If I remember right there were only like 3 or 4 pads in there. Any reccomendations on a helmet that has nice soft padding inside? I've got a big a$$ head by the way. The large XL 661 just barely fit. I think I'll take a trip down to the bicycle shop on my lunch break.
    661 products tend to be low end but do the job.

The Giro and Bell have a range of quality. All are very functional and some breath better and some are more stylie. But they all come with various pad thicknesses and are more easily adjustable than most other brands to fit well.

Giro tend to fit longer narrow heads (oval). Bell are a better fit for more round headed.

Specialized also makes very good helmets for the money.

- ray