mtbr member
    May 2013

5ten shoes - toe jamming

I have a pair of newer 5ten freerider contact shoes and after I ride my toes feel sore. I also notice that when I ride I have to bend my toes so it doesn't get jammed by the from of the shoe. Is that anything I can put in the shoe to keep my toes from jamming inside the shoe? I'm also starting to get ingrown toenails from this.
    Last edited by Lemonaid; 08-17-2017 at 10:11 AM.

mtbr member
    You are making me frown and look puzzled. Freeriders are wide. No way they should pinch your toes and no way that's causing an ingrown toenail. If your feet are screwed it's something else that's to blame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Toe Jammin

With Jackie Treehorn?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    ^^ Agreed! I have some Giros that are like that, but the 510s are roomy and very comfy.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    This is why I never owned 510. They hurt my big toe big way even one size up, I can't walk in them.
    You might try to tighten lashes harder to keep your toes further away from toecap front.
    I'd love to see Five Ten with Contacts upper, regular Freerider sole, and wider toebox. Until that happens I use Adidas Terrex Trail Cross SL and Swift Solo (and curious to also try new Specialized 2FO).
    The Terrex grip is less consistent but comfort is much, much better.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have some superfeet insoles I used on my sidi dominators. I'm going to try and replace them in my 5tens to see it it helps. One of the problem is the insoles don't hold the foot in place and my foot is sliding all the way to the front of the shoe causing it to jam. When I'm riding I'm riding with my toes bent in so as to avoid getting it jammed. It's becoming a natural reaction my body has started to do in order to protect my toes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    You are making me frown and look puzzled. Freeriders are wide. No way they should pinch your toes and no way that's causing an ingrown toenail. If your feet are screwed it's something else that's to blame.
    I'm wearing the freerider contact which is a newer shoe. I have the normal freerider as well and I don't have as much of a problem with them, although they do tend to jam a little as well.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kosulin View Post
    This is why I never owned 510. They hurt my big toe big way even one size up, I can't walk in them.
    You might try to tighten lashes harder to keep your toes further away from toecap front.
    I'd love to see Five Ten with Contacts upper, regular Freerider sole, and wider toebox. Until that happens I use Adidas Terrex Trail Cross SL and Swift Solo (and curious to also try new Specialized 2FO).
    The Terrex grip is less consistent but comfort is much, much better.
    I think you may be right. The toebox seems a bit narrow, and I have really narrow feet.

All fat, all the time.
    I always swap in better insoles in every pair of shoes I have. Usually factory ones offer very little support and feet slide around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I guees I found what is wrong with 510 toebox fit. I never paid attention before, but when I visually inspected both original Freerider and Contact, its toebox sidewall is not as vertical as in other make shoes, it is bent inside which makes it much less roomy. That's why 'wide' 510 hurts side of my big toes. To be precise, it hurts a lot when the I flex my feet while walking and to a lesser degree when pedaling, but not when my feet are straight.
    I am going to stick to Terrex Trail Cross SL most of the time when biking, and use Terrex Swift Solo (much lighter build with better breathability but less stiff and durable upper and sole) in dry hot weather or when I bike less than walk.
    I am even thinking of trying some Adidas for winter when time comes.

mtbr member
    I was getting the jammed toe feeling in my Freeriders too. So I took the Superfeet Yellow out of my hockey skates and swapped out the stock 5-10 insole. Feels so much better, and I haven't noticed my toes at all. Maybe the higher arch keeps the foot where it's supposed to be instead of sliding forward?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    I was getting the jammed toe feeling in my Freeriders too. So I took the Superfeet Yellow out of my hockey skates and swapped out the stock 5-10 insole. Feels so much better, and I haven't noticed my toes at all. Maybe the higher arch keeps the foot where it's supposed to be instead of sliding forward?
    I think my foot slides around too much in the shoe causing it to cram my toe to the front of the shoe. (doesn't help the toe box is small) I tried superfeet black and it didn't help maybe I'll try a different insole. My normal pair of freeriders seem ok though. No issues with toe pain. May just call it a lost cause and use the shoes as my work shoes and call it a day.