mtbr member
    Mar 2010

510 Spitfire vs Dirtbag mid

Does anyone have experience with either of these shoes, better yet both? I normally ride clipless but I've been thinking of giving flats a try just as an alternative for honing different skills. I ride XC with lots of climbing and I mostly stay on the ground, so I don't need my shoes to be protective, but I would like for them to be fairly light and breathable. I'm drawn to the dirtbag mid because they look less bulky than the spitfire and like they might breath better, but since I have to order either one over the Internet and there is more information online about the Spitfire, it seems like they might be the more sensible option. So does anyone have any info that might make my decision easier?

mtbr member
    Just purchased a pair of the Dirt bag mids for casual use. They are designed to be a casual/skate shoe but not a serious mountain bike shoe due to the thin flexible sole. It has no mid sole --good for skateboard feel - bad for mashing on pedals all day.

Five Ten makes great stuff but the dirt bags are not mountain bike shoes.
    Wha daur meddle wi' me?

mtbr member
    Had a pair of spitfires in canvas, not bad but if you are patient you can find deals on Freeriders for the same price - which are alot more breathable/comfortable.

I ride xc in the 510's and have never had any issues slipping off pedals. The only time flats cut me is when im resting on the bike or tripping over it in the garage.