Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

5-10 Shoes For Trail Riding

Are 5-10 shoes really worth the money for use with platform pedals? I currently ride with DC shoes which grip pretty well. I've heard a lot of people say they are better but is it worth dropping the money for them over skate shoes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Id recommend going straight to clipless, but if you're set on platform riding, 510's are great. Not sure how much they'd be different from your skate shoes though, without knowing more about said skate shoes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannas View Post
    Are 5-10 shoes really worth the money for use with platform pedals? I currently ride with DC shoes which grip pretty well. I've heard a lot of people say they are better but is it worth dropping the money for them over skate shoes?
    In a word, yes. However there are other brands that offer similar and sometimes preferred sticky soled flat pedal shoes. i've ridden 5.10, teva and shimano and they have all worked well with small differences in performance and comfort.

Your DC's may offer decent grip but they are most likely pretty flexible in the sole. 5.10's and others will offer better grip and a stiffer sole (model dependent of course) which will translate into better power transfer and less fatigue in your feet and ankles.

And don't let anyone tell you you need to go clipless - ride whatever you feel most comfortable with and have fun. I spent 20+ years clipped in and went to flats a few years ago and love 'em.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rode DC and Vans for years. I got a pair of 5.10 Freeriders last year and it made quite a big difference. Stickier sole and as mentioned above, stiffer sole feels better while pedaling. I will stick with cycling specific shoes from now on.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyPunx View Post
    I rode DC and Vans for years. I got a pair of 5.10 Freeriders last year and it made quite a big difference. Stickier sole and as mentioned above, stiffer sole feels better while pedaling. I will stick with cycling specific shoes from now on.
    Thank you! That is very helpful. The Freeriders are what I was looking at.

mtbr member
    I have ridden on flats with 5.10 shoes for years and have been more than happy with the results on so many different types of trails here in Pennsylvania. Currently switching between old school Nathan Rennie high tops, Baron, Freeriders and pair of brand new low Impact on Shimano Saint pedals. The new Impacts are the stiffest and the Barons are the softest, most "bendy". All stick quite remarkably and take a beating. Have not tried other companies so I can't compare. Sure I have had a foot slip here and there, and don't have the uphill pedaling power/efficiency of my clipped in buddies, but don't really take a back seat to too many non-racers, especially at the tender age of 50+! I usually scour the interweb and have found some fantastic crazy deals on 5.10's thru the years. Good luck and shred them flats!!

bdub
    Live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    I love my 5-10's free riders. Got my current pair on clearance for about $50. They stick well to flats, just stiff enough, and will take a beating. I will never go back to clip less. Not sure why the clip less folks are so certain everyone should use them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    Not sure why the clip less folks are so certain everyone should use them.
    Because people love to feel like what they have/use/buy/whatever is the BEST and they need to tell people cuz it makes them feel smart.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I ride both clipless and flats. They both have advantages and disadvantages. Flats keep you honest especially in a steep or technical climb. Clipless lets you transfer more energy to the bike - you can pull up on the back stroke of the crank.

As for the biking shoe over a skate shoe or similar - the soles of bike shoes are usually stiffer especially after time. I comes down to shoes being designed for a sport. But, ultimately it comes down to what you like and what works for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    Because people love to feel like what they have/use/buy/whatever is the BEST and they need to tell people cuz it makes them feel smart.
    Or because people have experience with both and find one to be better than the other - for themselves. If the OP has never tried clipless, by all means he should try it out. They both have their merits, after all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have used teva links and now 5 10 guide tennie. Go with 5 10 more grip and stiffer. Takes a few rides to break them in however. I liked the guide tennie over the freerider because it has a large toe guard and a little slimmer. Pair it with canfield crampons and you will stick to the pedals like glue.

mtbr member
    5.10s are great bike shoes and well worth buying instead of skate shoes or other outdoor footwear. I like the Impact Low and Freeriders the best out of their line up.

Keep in mind for best performance you need a quality flat pedal as well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    In addition to the stiffness and stickier rubber, Five Ten's are built pretty solid. I've got about 3 years on my current pair of Freeriders, the rubber is a little torn up but the shoes are holding up quite well otherwise.

mtbr member

Re: 5-10 Shoes For Trail Riding

I have seen some claim teva's newer compounds are as sticky as 5.10. I bought a new pair of impacts and a pair of tevas with their spider 360 compound, or whatever it's called. 5.10 is notably grippier, though it may be in part due to concave vs convex tread pattern.

Note that some or all freeriders use a less grippy compound than the impact, which you may or may not prefer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    In addition to the stiffness and stickier rubber, Five Ten's are built pretty solid. I've got about 3 years on my current pair of Freeriders, the rubber is a little torn up but the shoes are holding up quite well otherwise.
    This^^ Allthough I only have 1yr on my pair of Freerider not 3.
    Really THE tuffest shoe I've ever had. Just this weekend got back from dusty ride. Hosed off my 5.10..give um a genie rubb..set in the sun to dry...dry by nightfall. Other than the obvious hits n scrapes the clean up nice!
    I'll never go clipped in and never not buy 5.10s..stuff just works !
    And you CAN get up swing and back up pedeling..you just gotta learn How to Ride Flats!...
    All thoe guys that have ONLY been clipped in start baggen on Flats and they too have never tried it....grass is allways greener/lol
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Competent User

5-10 Shoes For Trail Riding

Yes. I've got Freeriders as well as a pair of Teva Pinners. The Pinners are actually more comfortable and fit ME better, but the 5-10s definitely stick to the pedals better. Spank Spikes help make up the difference.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Does anybody have experience with the Impact Low and the new Impact VXI? Is it worth the extra $$$ to reduce the weight? Does reducing the weight lower the protection and durability of the shoe?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    Does anybody have experience with the Impact Low and the new Impact VXI? Is it worth the extra $$$ to reduce the weight? Does reducing the weight lower the protection and durability of the shoe?
    I have owned the Impact Lows for over 5yrs. Great shoe. Very sticky, lots of protection, excellent for hike-a-bike.

I had a pair of the Freerider vxi shoes that started to come apart after 5 rides, but I suspect that was a one off manufacturing defect. They were less bulky compared to the Impact Lows and felt lighter, but I didn't love the smooth sole under the ball of the foot so I didn't get a replacement pair.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    So the consensus is that 5.10's are the shiznit on flats. Are they comfortable to walk around in, or are they too stiff for walking for very long?

mtbr member
    So the consensus is that 5.10's are the shiznit on flats. Are they comfortable to walk around in, or are they too stiff for walking for very long?
    I've spent days walking around LA's concrete jungle in some Impact Lows including a 12hr warehouse party.

I've done more hike-a-bike in them than I care to remember.

Supremely comfy for walking - at least on my feet.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I've spent days walking around LA's concrete jungle in some Impact Lows including a 12hr warehouse party.

I've done more hike-a-bike in them than I care to remember.

Supremely comfy for walking - at least on my feet.
    Cool. Thanks for the answer. I think I'm gonna get some. Just been hesitant cuz there's nowhere that sells em where I'm at and I've never been one to buy shoes online without trying them on at all.

mtbr member
    Just been hesitant cuz there's nowhere that sells em where I'm at and I've never been one to buy shoes online without trying them on at all.
    I find the Impact Lows fit true to size as do the Freeriders.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I take my 5.10s to work, cubical land...they are flat and fit simlar to Vans but more stiff. The break in nice and I have them on 12hrs dayly and then RIDE too. But I switch socks lol

I found them to be tight, I normally fit 11 but both my pairs of 5.10 are 11.5. I use zappos for free returns and good sales if you watch and wait..
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    I have a pari fo 5-10 impact high's and Sam hill's (impact low's) they are awesome. I actually bought a set of clipless shoes and pedal's and switch back after a very short time.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    I heard the Stealth rubber tends to mark floors. Is this true? Sorry kinda getting off the trail riding topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast