banned
    Mar 2012

5.10 Shoes with arch support?

I ride with Straightline platforms and DVS skate shoes. On longer rides my arches tend to get sore. I do have high arches but never have this problem when running wearing good running shoes.

I've wanted to try out 5.10 shoes for a while due to the good things I hear about the Stealth soles. Do any models of the 5.10 offer arch support?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super66 View Post
    Do any models of the 5.10 offer arch support?
    I run mine with super feet insoles and they are great!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have been using the 5.10 guide and lately the 5.10 camp four shoes for mtn biking for the last five years. I find that the guides have good traction on the platform pedals but are a little too thin on the soles, feeling the pins. The camp four shoes have better sole thickness, not quite as good traction on the pedals, have more arch support and are great for hike a bike or hiking too. Dont feel the pins at all in the camp four shoes. I bought a second pair of the camp fours as I like them so much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    was using superfeet insoles.... now using Specialized insoles.

Yes, that's fonetic
    One word: Orthotics. There are several over the counter versions you can get w/o having to pay a podiatrist to perscribe (i.e. the Superfeet 2fewdays suggested). I have plantar fasciitis and wear arch support orthotics in all my shoes. I'm on my second pair of Impacts and while they aren't completely devoid of arch support, they are much better with the inserts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    One word: Orthotics. There are several over the counter versions you can get w/o having to pay a podiatrist to perscribe (i.e. the Superfeet 2fewdays suggested). I have plantar fasciitis and wear arch support orthotics in all my shoes. I'm on my second pair of Impacts and while they aren't completely devoid of arch support, they are much better with the inserts.
    the orthotics a typical podiatrist provides is mainly for walking, that's about it. Yes, superfeet and some other insoles try to fill that void... but it's mainly also for walking type activities.

cycling puts different foot mechanics than walking.

if you can find a podiatrist or certified pedorthist that specializes in cycling... even better.

specialized insoles, ironically, have a warning that tells you they are not made for walking.....

I've also been through this with snowboard boots... my orthotics did not work for my snowboard boots. Other heat-molded stuff didn't work either. I went to a certified pedorthist that specialized in ski/snowboarding to get something that finally worked for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    X2.
    I dont know how old you are, but dont ignore proper arch support now or your feet will let you know later. Custom orthotics are best, but a good generic orthotic will do wonders. REI sells some good quality orthotics in the footwear dept. Also check GART if you have those in your area. Remove the flimsy, flat insole that comes in the shoe and replace witht the orthotic. Your feet will thank you.
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

mtbr member
    Specialized insoles.