Thread: 5.10 shoes

mtbr member

5.10 shoes

im looking at a few pairs of 5.10s, the freerides, cyclone, samhills, and the impact 2, Since the cyclones are spds, how do they feel to walk in and how do they ride on flats?
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have the Cyclones.....they are very stiff, almost as stiff as my XC-Shimano. The sole is the same Stealth rubber they use on their other shoes like the samhills.....

I got them because I needed a high-top shoe to protect an injured ankle. Also currently I ride the Cyclones on a platform pedal (DMR) on the injured ankle and ride the other foot using an spd (yeah people give me funny looks)

When my ankle heals up, I'm gonna go SPDs 100% of the time on both sides.

I would say for occasional platform riding, these shoes are good enough if you have good pedals. Obviously a very aggresive pedal (with sharp pins) will stick better than other pedals . I don't have to remove the cleat when I switch to platforms and they stick just fine. Note because these shoes are hollow in the center of the sole, they will not stick as well as a SamHill so don't compare apples to oranges.

The Stealth sole on these shoes give you good grip for hike a bikes or if you have to walk across wet or slippery rocks like on stream crossings. Way better for scrambling on uneven ground compared to those light-weight XC style shoes like SIDIs, etc. However, the Cyclones are too stiff if you plan on using these shoes for every-day (non-bike use) .

Lastly, when I first wore them they felt hot compared to my XC Shimano shoes...I got used to the feel and its not really an issue any more. Also you will need to cut away with a utility knife the small square on the sole to reveal the holes for the SPD attachment......there is no removable covering like some other shoes I have had...no big deal but I had to figure this out since the shoes did not come with any instructions.

mtbr member
    since the cleat is covered i think ill go with those since i already have spd shoes andbdontbreally need that feature but i like the high top design of them
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7