mtbr member
    Feb 2012

5.10 Impact Low for XC

I mostly ride XC and was considering buying clipless shoes from REI, then I read through the reviews on this site for the 5.10 Impact Low. Would these shoes be beneficial for XC or just downhill/freeride? Do they help at all with upstroke?

mtbr member
    If you are riding pure XC I would stick with clipless. I've switched to flats because I'm trying to ride some more technical stuff and they help with confidence, but I do miss clipless on long climbs in the saddle.

5.10s won't slip off the pedals easily (well, not unless the pins ice over), but they won't have any power on the upstroke.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Impacts would be horrible for XC. They are heavy, and do not breathe very well. Check out the Maltese Falcon, or the Kestrel, which has not been released yet, hopefully in the next month or so.

mtbr member
    personal preference. been using 5.10 s.hill's for almost 4yrs. for everything and anywhere. from texas to pacnw. they've worked well for me. don't want to get into a flat pedal debate. the only thing that has ever held me back on a climb is fitness.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I've been using Impacts for several years for all types riding - I'm a big fan. They definitely help you keep your feet on the pedals and thus with pedal stroke in general, but they don't give you any added upstroke power if that's what you mean.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    A sneaker-type shoe with sticky rubber and a stiff sole makes a great XC shoe, if you prefer riding with sneaker-type shoes.

One bum ankle can't twist, so I ride flats. I've ridden all kinds of XC mileage on them. If I could ride clipless? I likely would for some of those outings. But do you think my Impact lows held me back in some way? I think they didn't.

FWIW...

Mike

eb5
    mtbr member
    I traded my 5.10 low impacts for spitfires and I'm glad I did! The low impacts were too bulky/heavy for me, the spitfires on the other hand work perfect.

mtbr member
    you can check out the new raven as well as the Kestral. both are SPD, Kestral more XC, Raven more freeride. Both way lighter than impact
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

derp
    I use my 5.10 Impact Low's from XC to Enduro and never had any problem with them or any problem with the clipless crowd spinning like crazy on very steep uphills and me passing them with my bike on my back.

If you prefer flats the Impacts are a good choice specially in Winter/Spring but i would use something else when Summer comes.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i dont have those shoes, but i do have shoes with stealth rubber bottoms. the "sticky" factor cannot physically pull you the whole 360 range of motion, bowever, they do "drag" the pedal further upwards than a slippery shoe would. So if you know how to tilt your foot a bit on climbs so that you're dragging the rubber upwards, its almost a clipped in feeling. Basically, they dont have the range of motion of clipless, but they do pull the pedal more than any other flat shoe.

see me rollin, they hatin
    wait, Kestrel isnt out yet, correct? not that it matters, they wont have my girly size anyway.

habitual line-stepper
    i love my impact lows, but the other half of the equation are the pedals that you'll be riding. i have a set of exustar flats that have low-pro pins around the perimeter that do not grip as well as my forte converts that have longer and more inboard pins. a good shoe doesn't make a bad pedal any better. good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

orthonormal
    They are a bit heavy and can be toasty in warm weather but they're fine for XC riding most of the time.

Don't worry about any supposed lost power on the upstroke. From Chris Carmichael, one of the world's top cycling coaches: "If you take a look at graphs of power delivery through a pedal stroke, like those developed by Jeff Broker, Ph.D., at the US Olympic Training Center in the early 1990s, you see that the vast majority of a cyclist's power is produced in the down stroke portion of a pedal stroke. Power production falls drastically as the pedals approach and pass through the top and bottom of the stroke. The power of the down stroke is so great that it negates the opposite leg's capacity to produce any power during the upstroke. The best a cyclist can do is unweight the upstroke leg, or try to get it out of the way of the pedal coming up at it. In some senses, the upstroke leg can be seen as working against the rider. A portion of the force being applied in the down stroke is going to lift the opposing leg instead of propelling the bicycle forward."
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I have been wanting a lighter and more breathable version of the Impacts for a long time. However, if it has the clipless "window" thingy, I don't want it.