mtbr member

47yr old Clydesdale going to alps in july full face and neck brace?

hi all
    myself and a buddie are booked to go to morzine in july for a weeks riding. ive been riding since 94 but to be honest not much DH more trails/trail centre riding in the uk
    my (our) question is protection, ive purchased a troy lee full face helmet (i ware knee elbow all time) i was wondering anyones thoughts on the neck braces available and if any of you have them for such trips ect
    being a clyd when i come off its not a dainty affair and i hit hard sometimes thus the reason for the question (alps = steep= more protection)
    any info would be a big help
    cheers
    ''out of the way wide load coming through''

mtbr member
    Leatt brace. I am 44, and wear one for MX, and can't imagine riding without one. It's expensive, but who wants to risk sitting in a wheelchair drooling in a cup for the rest of their lives.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Well..here in America (where the area I live in (NC))..we dont have Mtns like that..so Im prolly not the one to be getting the best advice from..but I throw in my 2 cents....I personally think you wont need it...but then again I have seen some videos from the Alps and I was pretty shocked at how steep that place is..some of the videos I have seen were pretty scary..so to me it would be a toss up about getting one..the videos I looked at some of the people in them looked like XC people and others had DH helmets/armor on...if you are the type of person who crashes alot..then it would be a good purchase..its not gonna hurt to buy one and then not use it...you can always resell it of need be..I use to wear alot of armor..mainly knee pads and elbow..I got a buddy use to rag on me about wearing all that stuff and so I went without it for a long time..just this past spring I fell and hurt my knee and my knee still isnt right..I might have to get it looked at one day soon...but if I hadnt of listened to him and worn my knee pads I prolly wouldnt be in this situation..but whatever...do what you feel is right...if there is a video of the trail you are going to..look at it and decide from there...is there a huge drop off on the trail somewhere?...then you might need a brace...its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it..so Im on the fence about it..sorry I wasnt more help.

this is the video I was watching from the french alps:
    La Varda. Freeride Singletrack MTB French Alps - YouTube

and here is a discussion about the leatt brace and the evs brace:

Leatt brace - really worth it?
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    I think if you're riding down hill fast, you should go full face helmet and neck brace. I've just ordered a Leatt neck brace from Chain Reaction after landing on my head going over the bars on my BMX yesterday. I wasn't even going fast compared to downhill speeds. My neck's a bit sore today, nothing worse but it was a wake up call that it could have been worse.
    I was wearing a 661 Comp Shifted helmet that protected me well. I am about to get another because I think that was the helmet's "single impact". I managed to get a slight bruise on my forehead from the inside of the helmet and a mild head ache. I still have a bit of a head ache next morning but suspect it's due to the work Christmas party. Was also fully shin, knee and elbow padded fortunately. I still got a bruise and sore knee through the knee pad and have a sore wrist.
    You can get a 360, 2011 model neck brace for 220 at Chain Reaction which is cheaper than one of those wheel chairs you drive with a straw.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replys lads you have convinced me of getting one better to safe than forever sorry plus if and when I do have an off I would like to be having a cold beer sitting in a bar laughing about it and not in A&E
    Are leatt the best braces
    Cheers
    Brett

mtbr member
    Every one has told me to buy Leatt. Their designed by a South African doctor and motorbiker which should be a pretty good combination. Here's a link for an interesting read about them:
    Leatt Neck Braces - THE REVIEW YOU MUST READ. - Pinkbike

Have a look at Chain Reaction for them. They come in two sizes, child and adult.

Uphill? What's that
    Alpine stars bionic neck brace is also a good choice..My wife races dh. And last year while practicing she took a nasty fall. Hard enough to crack her helmet.. I watched her go over the handlebars on a real steep section. And land on the top of her head from about 6 ft. I am almost certain she would have a serious neck Injury if she wasn't wearing her brace.. bottom line is. Look at what is out there and buy the brand you feel is right for you..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    Look at what is out there and buy the brand you feel is right for you..
    This. I recommend Leatt only because it is the one I have experience with, but all of the "copies" are probably just as good. They are expensive, but I always figure not nearly as expensive as a severe neck injury...
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Well I've bought the leatt chest/spine adventrue vest which takes the neck brace
    As well
    "In for a penny in for a pound " as they say here in the uk
    Brett