Dropshot Champ!

New question here. 2013 Specialized S-works EVO Boa problems?

I'm curious if anyone else is having problems on the revised BOA 2 system?

I put 2 rides on them and then became trapped in the shoe, ha! Took them into my local LBS and they went to replace the left top one. When inspecting the others, the store manager said all 4 were really bad. Replaced for free. Said to make sure not to overtighten, and be really careful loosening them.

Sweet, I'll keep an eye on it.

Put 1 10hr ride on them, carefully loosened them and was trapped again. Made sure I was super careful not to overtighten, etc.

What happens is that I go to loosen them up, and they halfway loosen and then start tightening again (while maintaining the same loosening direction the whole time). I was able to get one side free while pulling the BOA lace out of the mechanism with one hand, but it wasn't easy, and this was the result: Somehow they are still binding up.

2013 Specialized S-works EVO Boa problems?-1001334_714082968617964_1069714934_n.jpg

I've been super-conscious of which way to turn, not to overtighten, and to "lead" the wire when loosening, all of which my LBS suggested. And this still happens.

Is anyone else having these problems? Any tips/tricks? Shoes should not be this difficult. I would gladly return to the 2013 pro carbon's I had, but the ratchet loosens while walking, and the LBS has had dozens of returns as well. Specialized shoes fit my feet really well, and I put well over 10k miles on the last pair.

Help!

Dropshot Champ!
    anyone? Or do I just have bad luck.

mtbr member
    Just got the Evos myself today. I needed new MTB shoes and have loved my S-works road shoes the past few months. I had a very dusty ride today and could tell the BOA wasn't working the great. I'm going to dry cleaning with some compressed air and doing some research to see what others have done.

mtbr member
    I ride S Works road shoes as well as recent purchase of S Works mtb shoes. If you have problems with the BOA, take them to the Spesh store and they will replace the BOA right on the counter, while you wait! Know it's kinda of a hassle, but guess it's a matter of how comfy the shoes are and if the occ visit is worth it to you!!?? FOr me, if I do ever have trouble, just means another reason I need to go to the shop and buy something!!!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

Dropshot Champ!
    Did you read the thread?

I don't want to go in after every single ride.

mtbr member
    I do not have the S-Works but I do have two other pairs of Specialized shoes with 1 Boa on each and I have no problems.

I'd just ask the LBS to escalate with Spesh and approve a complete shoe replacement.

Dropshot Champ!
    1 boa on each indicates the last generation BOA stuff right? sorry I'm new to boa stuff. I've read great reviews and know many people having success with the old system.

This post is about the redesigned boa-2 system.

mtbr member
    Actually one of the shoes does have the first gen (2012 model Comp Road), but the other I just bought last week and it does have the boa-2 (2013 model Rime).

Early on, you had to go through Boa to get replacements. At this point if you don't get any love from Specialized, I'd definitely go to Boa.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have the newer Boa's on my S-works road shoes, and have been having the same issues as you... as I loosen then the wire basically wraps back up and starts tightening. I haven't taken them into the store yet as it hasn't been that huge of an issue, but now that I see it's not just my shoes having this issue maybe I will take them in one day!

I really miss the older style... I had them on my old road shoes and just loved how you popped up the button to release the tension and loosen up the shoe. Having to unwind on the new style just annoys me...

mtbr member
    I can see where they were going with the boa-2.. if you're riding along and your feet swell, and you need a little loosen... you spin the dial and get a little loosen. with the original boa you pull it up and it's loose-- you might be a little bit loose, or a lot.

how often do people need to do that though? once you get used to the shoe, and used to how much your feet swell during a ride, are people really adjusting the tension during a ride?

obviously, it's much more likely that you need to loosen the shoe A LOT when you remove it at the end of a ride. with the original boa, pop it up and you can remove the shoe. with the boa-2, you have to uncrank it a whole lot.

I can see the boa-2 wearing out a lot faster due to all the cranking in both directions.