mtbr member

200Lx2 - Helmet & bar mount- Trial run with photo

9/23/07 Tonight was my trial run with my second DiNotte 200L that I purchased so I could run one helmet mounted and one bar mounted. I do believe I'm going to be sticking with these lights for quite a while. In combo these lights rock. I took a couple of pictures tonight but unfortunately most of them didn't turn out so good. I have a Sony digital Cyber-shot camera and while it does have a night setting you really need to be using a tripod to get a clear picture. I did bring a tripod along but the tripod is only about 4 ft. high at best. If I had used it I couldn't have gotten a decent rider point-of-view. Somehow I'm going to have to find a way to elevate the tripod to rider height. I'll see if I can find a cardboard box so I can get the camera an additional two ft. off the ground. It will be on my "to do" list for next time.
    My Bar mounted set up: The 200L I have mounted on my bars I've made some alterations to suit my riding style. I prefer a more flood beam on the bars and all 200L's are more of an intermediate spot. Doing this was quite easy. I cut a piece of thin semi-translucent ( slightly clouded ) plastic from an old file folder that I bought at Target a while back. ( the product name is ,"Work org document carryall" ) I rounded out the piece and attached it to the front using some electrical tape. Since the light engine has a semi-translucent ring built in I also put some electrical tape over that too because the light from it bothers me when I use it bar mounted. Last but not least I also put a small piece of electrical tape over the blue button on the rear because the light from that bothers me too. When all was done I was very pleased with the effect. The clouded plastic disperses more light to the sides and makes the light in front more softer and easier on the eye. Yes, this does cut down on the over all brightness of the lamp but it is only really noticeable on the lower power levels. Just keep in mind this is a test. I don't think the reflected light is going to hurt the LED...I hope. I didn't see the light engine heating up so maybe all is well.
    Helmet mounted set-up : Standard helmet mounted set up.
    Test Photos: The first photo is the standard night setting that the camera has. Reflectors are set-up at 25', 50' & 75ft respectively. The first photo has been unaltered. The second photo I decided to adjust using my Adobe Photo elements software. I did this because I felt the unaltered photo didn't catch all the light that the two lights were putting out. The second photo will show more light to the sides which I feel is more representative of what these lights were actually putting out. This wasn't easy to do because I have an LED monitor and the pictures look brighter or darker depending on what angle you are viewing from. Anyway, I did my best and decided to include both the altered and the unaltered photo. If I get a chance I'll try to take some comparison photos using my halogens.
    Test conditions: very dry trails, low humidity, semi full moon but taken under trees.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You could try changing the bar mounted 200L to a flood lens version. I'm using one for my bar when I upgraded it from a Ultra5. The light throws about the same distance as a Ultra5, but the surrounding flood is so much better. There's no real spot though and the flood extends to almost 90degrees on each side. The effect is similiar to turning on a table lamp with cardboard between you and the lamp.

Members who have read this thread: 0