mtbr member
    Feb 2005

2008 s-works shoes, feel small

Hi, I use a sidi dragon 44 1/2 and have recently I've got the new specialized s-works mtb shoes but find a 45 is the best fit even though there's quite a lot of room at the toe. Is the chart spesh uses slightly off as I'm running a shoe size bigger than normal as I should be a 44! Is 45 relatively big as my buddies are saying I've got the wrong size. I run a US 10.5 for walking shoes etc. Any help?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    also I've got the blue footbeds so I guess they take a little more room up although I've never seen Specialized mention make sure you buy bigger if you want to change the BG aftermarket goods.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My experience: I am a 10.5 in almost everything. So for two years I have been running the BG comps in a 43.5. They were a little tight through the vamp at first but with the longer strap and some riding they were perfect. Well this spring I decided to upgrade to the new carbon pro in the 43.5. Well after numb toes and a nice metarsal bruise I sold them online. They were just to tight and my feet felt like they had no circulation. Tried shims, other footbeds etc to fix the problem and nothing worked. So i rode the spring and summer in my old thread bare comps. Finally brokedown after they ripped open and ordered the new updated comps in the 43.5 and they fit just like the old comps. So it seems to me that the pro/s-works bg shoes run a little smaller. Could be the more substansial footbed. However funny, I tried on the s-works boa mtb shoe in a 44 and it still seemed snug and the higher end bg footbeds just bother my feet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Specialized shoes DO run a little small IMO. The various footbeds shouldn't have alot of effect on the fit - just run the straps/boa a little more loose. Length is the main thing, they're simply smaller than some other brands.

Just make sure you buy them from a good shop with a trained fit guy.

- BTW, that's what I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    My experience: I am a 10.5 in almost everything. So for two years I have been running the BG comps in a 43.5. They were a little tight through the vamp at first but with the longer strap and some riding they were perfect. Well this spring I decided to upgrade to the new carbon pro in the 43.5. Well after numb toes and a nice metarsal bruise I sold them online. They were just to tight and my feet felt like they had no circulation. Tried shims, other footbeds etc to fix the problem and nothing worked. So i rode the spring and summer in my old thread bare comps. Finally brokedown after they ripped open and ordered the new updated comps in the 43.5 and they fit just like the old comps. So it seems to me that the pro/s-works bg shoes run a little smaller. Could be the more substansial footbed. However funny, I tried on the s-works boa mtb shoe in a 44 and it still seemed snug and the higher end bg footbeds just bother my feet.
    Heh, I picked up the Pro Carbon not too long ago and had similar issues. I wear a 45 in many shoes, but it translates as a US 12 on the box even though I wear an 11-11.5 depending on the shoe. I also thought that the 45 might be a little short, so I tried a 45.5 in the Pro and it was just big enough to let my toe hit the nose seam and rub on it. I stuck with the 45 and it's been fine.

Also, that "metarsal button" made it painful to walk for a while after my first ride. I got used to it, and now I find the shoes to me more efficient than any other I've worn. It's strange that a shoe designed to be more comfortable when riding would require a learning and tolerance curve.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Members who have read this thread: 0