mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Zee or xt rear derailleur

I'm goin 1x10 with a 32t chainring and just received my xt shadow plus medium cage derailleur but now I'm debating getting the zee for the short cage. This is on a 120mm fs bike

wuss
    If you already have the XT I don't see that much reason to switch, but sure the short cage will be more snappy if you are sure you will not be going 2x10 again. If you where buying, I guess most people would point you to the Zee, but in your situation it's more a question of how much hassle you are willing to go through.

mtbr member
    I'm running an XT med cage shadow plus at the moment on my 140mm trail bike with a 32 tooth front ring with no issues whatsoever, but I am running a guide up front (xcx). I'd keep with the XT.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    There are two versions of the Zee, only one of them takes up to 36t cassette, i would stick with XT just in case cheap 10s XX1 alternatives with 11-40 come along.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Even a 40 tooth gear will require a small cage with a 32 tooth chainring. My jagwire ripcord is gonna take awhile so swapping them isn't that big of a hassle. Will the snappy shufting of the short cage of the zee be worth getting rid of the forged parts of the xt?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    So the zee free ride version won't work as a 2x10 set up? I just purchased the the rd and the shifter and was planning on running 24/36 up front. The shimano rep said it will work fine.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    free ride will, dh won't, unless you use a close range cassette.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had the xt med cage w shadow plus on my trans am and switched to a saint short cage w shadow plus after a branch ripped my xt apart. I'm sure it was my fault, but the saint is definitely ALOT quieter and just as smooth. There's still a chance I could've torn up the saint in the same scenario, but I feel like it's a lot less likely. If you've got the time, I'd get the zee.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just 2 day shipped the zee lol. Thanks guys. Any recommendations on a cassette and chain? I am debating an xt 11-36 with an xtr chain. I have an X0 crank with bling ring and an xtr shifter as my drivetrain so far

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have the ZEE short cage! I really like it.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    xt 11-36 is a great cassette. The fancy sram ones are prohibitively expensive, and you can buy 2 XT for the price of an XTR. Better to save the weight elsewhere. I'm a fan of the KMC chains over shimano; for the most part they are cheaper, lighter, and have a master link. I'm not sure, but Shimano might wear better and are dynasis "directional" or something, but really it's the master link being stock that I like. Makes cleaning super easy. I believe shimano advises against using them on their chains, but I'm sure you could. Sram chains have them too, but are very pricey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well my bike came with a SRAM pg-1030 11x36 and a KMC X10 chain. I have ridden on it for a year and it still looks new. Since I am swapping parts i am having the itch to upgrade but I don't know if what I have is good or not.

mtbr member
    You may as well run your current cassette until its done. You can tell you need a new cassette if the teeth are worn if your chain sort of shifts or jumps around on the teeth while pedaling hard.

Edit: not jumps to different cog but back and forward on same cog

Sounds like a sweet drive train. Are you going to use any type of chain guide? I use a full guide with my zee 1x10 setup, personnaly

I think moving to zee is especially worth it if you can get your $ back on the xt and you tend to smack your der on stuff. The zee is very compact and all around sexy

mtbr member
    I now have a Zee FR after my XTR looked at a rock and broke! So far it has been amazing. It has taken some pretty big knocks and keeps on rolling I just don't see the point of spending $$$$ on something that begs to be broken off!

I am running it on a 1x10 drivetrain with an XT 11-36 cassette, 32t E13 ring, XTR shifter, SRAM 1051 chain and i will be purchasing a the new MRP AMg guide in the next week.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    xt 11-36 is a great cassette. The fancy sram ones are prohibitively expensive, and you can buy 2 XT for the price of an XTR. Better to save the weight elsewhere. I'm a fan of the KMC chains over shimano; for the most part they are cheaper, lighter, and have a master link. I'm not sure, but Shimano might wear better and are dynasis "directional" or something, but really it's the master link being stock that I like. Makes cleaning super easy. I believe shimano advises against using them on their chains, but I'm sure you could. Sram chains have them too, but are very pricey.
    I have used the sram 9sp powerlink on xtr/da chains for at least 4 years and its rock solid. Use it every day.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well I have a long cage xt now and it has taken a few hits to the point where it won't shift into the lowest cog no matter how much I adjust it. The top three cogs shift very harsh and has noticeable wear marks on all gears. I've taken a few good falls this year learning hahaha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revmoto View Post
    Well I have a long cage xt now and it has taken a few hits to the point where it won't shift into the lowest cog no matter how much I adjust it. The top three cogs shift very harsh and has noticeable wear marks on all gears. I've taken a few good falls this year learning hahaha.
    It sounds like it might be that your hanger is bent. Did you check? It can be hard to see unless you take it off and lay it flat on something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    It sounds like it might be that your hanger is bent. Did you check? It can be hard to see unless you take it off and lay it flat on something.
    I'm sure it's bent a little but
    It is coming off anyways so that solves that lol.