Fiddle Sticks!
    Oct 2004

Z1 Light or Fox 36?

I've narrowed it down to these two forks for an all mountain/ light freeride bike. I wanted to know what everyone reccomends and why. Thanks.
    "We must learn to live together as brothers, or perish together as fools."
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Long

I have a Z1 light on my Nomad and I was also in your shoes trying to decide between these 2. I got a chance to ride the 36 talas and 36Van I like the Van better but did not get a chance to try out the Z1 light. No one in my area had them. Well I took a chance on some recommendations from the person that was bulding my bike , others on this forum and went with the Z1 light. I would normally never do this however Im glad that I did. This is truly an incredible fork. It is smooth- takes time to break in, but as much time as the 66 series, It is tough, Adjustable-you can really feel the adjustments too. It has bottom out resisstance adj. and ETA. The one thing that I originally wished for was that it came in a 34 or 35mm tubes not 32mm. I have no worries any more about that 32mm on this fork is enough for Your type of riding you described. Another Plus is that it is cheaper. Now with all that said. My best advice, try both out and make your decision. You cannot go wrong with either, My choice and suggestion for your riding is the Z1 light.
    Good luck,
    M.C.tigre

I railed it like Kong
    You know i'm in the exact same situation right now. I've ridden the 36 van and talas, (van felt way better) and the 66 light. For this other build i want the Z1 light. The biggest difference is the ETA switch on the Zoke. The 36 feels great all around but that ETA helps me climb better than any other innovation ever put out. I actually like the feel of the 36 better but just can't get over that one feature.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The ETA feature is awesome on the Z1

banned
    In general,

Most people know when they need to step up from 32mm to 36mm or 40 mm stanctions etc......

Sounds like 32mm's will be plenty suffecient for the time being.

Hone your skills and learn progression.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

zocchi's...

i've grown-up with bombers, currently got a zocchi 05 AM2 on my heckler. great fork, plush, smooth. yeah without a doubt, ETA has gotta be the single best climbing aid since the granny ring. haven't had them serviced yet. actually, i can't even remember looking at the seals in 2 years of regular trail riding. flex noticably on the way down. they'd be perfect with a 20mm thru-axle... which is basically a Z1

got a brand spankin' new fox 36 talas rc2 sitting here waiting to go on an 04 bullit frame. however, after all the bad reviews i'm thinking about selling 'em.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I ride 2005 Z1 with ETA and am very happy about it.
    Still, it wasnt like this before I got a softer spring kit.
    Zocchi doesn't offer much in 6' travel spring kits, so make sure you weight is average or above. I weigh 180lbs and needed a softer spring kit, but that was 2005, maybe this year, they swapped stock springs for something lighter.

Just my 0,02$..

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngy
    i've grown-up with bombers, currently got a zocchi 05 AM2 on my heckler. great fork, plush, smooth. yeah without a doubt, ETA has gotta be the single best climbing aid since the granny ring. haven't had them serviced yet. actually, i can't even remember looking at the seals in 2 years of regular trail riding. flex noticably on the way down. they'd be perfect with a 20mm thru-axle... which is basically a Z1

got a brand spankin' new fox 36 talas rc2 sitting here waiting to go on an 04 bullit frame. however, after all the bad reviews i'm thinking about selling 'em.
    I had a Talas and never found any real love for it. Eventually went to an AM1 then to a Z1 FR SL soI could have a 20mm. In the end, I seem to always circle back to Zokes (did the same on my xc bike after fiddling with some other forks). I think for the buck, the Z1 will treat you right.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheSpike
    I ride 2005 Z1 with ETA and am very happy about it.
    Still, it wasnt like this before I got a softer spring kit.
    Zocchi doesn't offer much in 6' travel spring kits, so make sure you weight is average or above. I weigh 180lbs and needed a softer spring kit, but that was 2005, maybe this year, they swapped stock springs for something lighter.

Just my 0,02$..
    This is a non issue on the 06 Zokes. With regards to the Z-1 light, the way you set sag is with the positive air chamber on the right fork leg. Changing out springs is a thing of the past. Just set the positive air chamber, and let er rip. My 66 light is the same way.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    The Z1 Light is a great fork for everything but the nastiest drops. Set the positive air and go. The ETA is nice if you have long fireroad climbs, but I never used mine out on the trail. It does not have the bottom out adjustment mentioned above.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My bad, I was under impression Z1 Light uses Air only for preload.
    In this case, springs are devided between coil in one leg and air in other, correct ?
    Sounds like a better solution, agreed.

El Borracho
    One more vote for Z1 Light with ETA. This fork is PLUSH, very adjustable, and ETA will help keep the front planted on steep climbs. With the 20mm axle it's plenty stiff for light freeride. And if for no other reason it just plain looks better.
    Just because everyone says your wrong, it doesn't make you right. But it is a pretty good indication.
    - El Borracho -