mtbr member

Your thoughts on Rhyno Lites.

I'm looking at replacing my heavy Doubletrack rims. I have found that online I can buy a new set of wheels cheaper than buying new rims and having them laced to my existing XT hubs.

What i want to know is your thoughts on the Sun Ringle Rhyno Lites? I am looking for a rim that is light enough for the climb, but also tough enough for some light freeride descents. Remember that I live in the Greater Norther Shore area, so the trails I ride here are a little steeper than most....and subsequently rougher.

-mike-

P.S. any other cheap options will be considered.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a set of those wheels on my HT. Solid, strong wheel, but definitely not the lightest. I don't find them too bad on the uphill, but others may disagree. Only bummer is that for such a strong build, the hub is still a QR. Sort of a two steps forward, one step back kind of thing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ran rhyno lites for a year and a half or so and I didnt have much trouble out of them. They seemed to hold up pretty well as far as durability goes.
    However, if you reason for changing wheels is to loose weight, then you are wasting your time with the rynos. They are heavy. I switched to a set of salsa delgados and the difference was amazing.

mtbr member
    I though Rhyno Lites were light compared to say DT 5.1's. Any way, I run them on my DJ bike and they hold up reasonably well. I find they are an Incredible pain in the ass to replace the tires compared to disk only wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    rhyno lites are 550g
    dt 5.1s are 500g
    salsa delgados are 450g

however, seeing as you are coming from a rim that weighs around 800 grams, even the rhyno lites would be a massive improvement as far as weight goes, however, maybe not durability

I have no experience with the dt's but they are highly recommended.
    I personally love my delgados and have had no trouble out of their durability. The only problem with them is that salsa says not to use stan's to convert to tubeless and it is really quite difficult to seat a tire on them properly.

if you want cheap, strong, and lighter than you currently have, the the rhynos will do you well. If you want to spend a little more and go even lighter and stronger, go for the DTs or the Salsas.

mtbr member
    well the rhyno lites weigh a claimed 550g's and my Doubletracks weigh a claimed 850g's.....so I would be saving considerable mass with them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I got a rhyno lite for my rear wheel. Its strong, but it really is a pain in the butt to change tires. I got a flat while riding on the street yesterday and it took literally two hours to put my tire back on. I was amazingly pissed off, but if you know how to do it its not hard. It was the first time my rhyno lite got a flat and I never changed it before. But yeah if you are used to disc rims then I would suggest that you learn how to change the tire or it will be a long time experimenting on the trail or wherever your riding.

mtbr member
    I agree they are very hard to change tires on. I invested in nice tire levers and they are much easier to deal with.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I assume you are looking at the Rhyno Lite XLs right? There was a different style years ago which wasn't as wide and strong, but I don't think you can buy that anymore.

I used a RL XL as a front wheel on my Bullit for 6 years and then put it on my Delirium T where I've bashed it for another 8 months. This rim has dealt with countless trips to Keystone, shuttle runs in town, trips to Moab, etc. and it's still going strong. I am also now using one for a rear too, but I've only had that one for 2 years. Needless to say, I have had a good experience with Rhyno Lite XLs

mtbr member
    I have rhyno lite xl's and I have no complaints at all. I've never had a problem fixing a flat or changing tires. Use tire levers that's what they're for. I also think they're incredibly light for the abuse they can take.

Formerly DMR For Life
    there good rims except for changing tires...metal tire levers are a must, I broke multiple plastic ones trying to take kevlar beaded tires off them, and wire beaded are even worse

DMR

Hmmmmm

Good job! It depends on where you get them...

If you get Rhyno Lites with XT or better hubs from Price Point or KHS, I know from experiance they will come properly tensioned ect, with DT or Wheelsmith spokes.
    Stay away from the really cheap sets that use Deore hubs. The Deore hubs aren't weak, but the builders usually use cheap spokes on the Deore hub, Rhyno Lite builds.
    Also; look for the " welded and machined " or " Rhyno Lite XLs ".
    They are light for how strong they are, and only about 3 ozs more than most XC rims.
    I use them for all mountain riding around Bootleg Canyon in Nevada and they hold up to high milages and jumping, in a very rocky enviroment.

Later, Eric
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    I ended up getting some Sun ringle S.O.S. rims laced to formula hubs...soooooo much lighter.

Thanks anyway,

mike

mtbr member
    I run a rear Rhyno Lite on my bike. It has held up pretty well. I have had it trued maybe a couple times. I really thought maybe I was losing my mind I always have had trouble dealing with my rear tire on my Rhyno Lite. So I guess its not just me.
    Looking to buy Vintage Brodies, Rocky Mountain's and steel Dekerf or Cove hardtails.

mtbr member
    I have them on the old Heckler for few years xt hubs 5000 miles or more, got them for very cheap and just until they die, never hade any problem, do not use this bike as much anymore but the wheels are good as new.
    240-lb !

Hmmmmm

Cool-blue Rhythm Its true but...

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheRubberSideDown
    I run a rear Rhyno Lite on my bike. It has held up pretty well. I have had it trued maybe a couple times. I really thought maybe I was losing my mind I always have had trouble dealing with my rear tire on my Rhyno Lite. So I guess its not just me.

I used to hate the fact that it was harder to get tires off and on my Rhynos, but I've since learned that there is an advantage to that when the tire blows on a bad rock hit.
    The tires don't derim and wrap around your drivetrain or axles when they flat.
    I've seen that, on some "high end" rims from Mavic to name one company and its not pretty when you derim a tire.
    I should add that my new Rhyno XLs are a little easier to mount tires on.

Later, Eric
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...