Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

You have $2k MAX to buy a 29er AM bike...

What do you get and why?

mtbr member
    I built my Banshee Paradox for less than 2K. Rockshox Revelation fork, full XT group with brakes, Thomson cockpit, handbuilt Pacenti/Hope wheelset. Every single part was new but on sale and the frame was 'used' but without a single scratch or sign it had been built up.

Might end up a hair over $2K to do it from scratch though since the bars, tires, and pedals were holdovers from my last 29er.

Thing Maker
    Apr 2013
    The Boombot REX, ultraportable speaker/speakerphone/siri assistant. With the ability to deny phone calls on the trail Huzzah!

undercover brother
    Honzo. Nimble 9. TransAM 29.

mtbr member
    Nevermind wrong place

mtbr member
    Maybe I misunderstood my own criteria, full-suspension only also! toss a wrinkle in there..

mtbr member
    Does it have to be new?

mtbr member
    Not necessarily, but no links to a CL ad in Northern Canada. Something that can commonly be found used at a certain price qualifies, or your components to include in a build such as listed above by GTscoob.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    AM 29er is a pretty small and relatively new class of bikes. I don't think any of them are available in the used market at such a quantity that they are easily found at a given average price. I'd say just watch the classifieds. Rip 9's pop up at a reasonable frequency and should be available around the $2k mark.

EDIT: You can look at the Trance X-2 29er. It hits the $2k requirement, but the fork & wheels may not be what some consider "AM".

mtbr member
    This is in my neck of the woods and could be a good starting point for a build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That's a Jet 9. Nice frame, but not what I'd call "All Mountain".

mtbr member
    Interesting. Without getting too far off topic, what would some general criteria of 'all mountain' be? What sorts of things really separate it from XC? I guess I got more to learn than I though!

mtbr member
    Maybe try to find a used Rumblefish? Drop an angleset in up front to slacken it out and drop the BB and it could be fine on a budget. Or a used Tallboy LT?

Long travel slack 29ers are still kinda rare, especially for fullies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Santa Cruz Superlight 29er can be built for well under 2k. It's only got 100 mm or travel but with a 120 mm fork and the right components it can certainly handle all mountain riding.

It's slim pickings for full suspension 29ers for less than 2k.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    used 2011/12 Stumpjumper 29er. 130mm of travel and decent geometry. I have a couple buddies that ride them like madmen!
    2013 Stumpy Evo

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I love my Giant trance x2 29er. I am not doing riding that I would consider AM though. I do think with a better fork it would be capable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Interesting. Without getting too far off topic, what would some general criteria of 'all mountain' be? What sorts of things really separate it from XC? I guess I got more to learn than I though!
    For me: Slacker HA. 34mm stanchions or larger. Mandatory thru axle front and rear IMO(another strike against the Niner). Dropper seat post. ISCG tabs. No weight weenie wheels. Knobby tires 2.2" minimum. And most importantly, a 'ride everything' mentality. :-)

If buying new is a priority, I might save a bit longer. Perhaps when the DB Mason FS comes out, it will be in the ~3k price range? I have the hardtail version and love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I already have it... a 2012 Blur LT I built up myself. Full build came in right at $2k. Granted, I bought and built this bike in Dec/Jan so the parts were a lot cheaper than right now (new frame directly from Santa Cruz's website sale), but I don't think I'll ever buy a "kit" bike again. I've got it right around 27 lbs and it's the most fun bike I've ever had- and that's coming from a Nomad Carbon.

High level specs include: Fox Float 32 150 RL fork, WTB Stryker Race wheelset, Fox CTD rear shock, RS Reverb seatpost dropper, XT/X9 drivertrain, Avid Elixir 5 brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    built my yelli screamy for around that price point but definately had to research and get some deals and buy a few parts used. I started with wheels ironically. wtb laser tcs trail 29 off of chain love for $240 shipped. got the frame gently used for $500. slx crank for $90, slx shifters for $40, gently used xt RD $40, new xt FD $30, wtb sturdy tnt tires $70 for the pair, flat pedals, $40, raceface turbine handle bar $50, cane creek 40 headset $80, Manitou Tower Pro 120 $300, xt rakes and rotors $350, seatpost, saddle, grips $75 pretty much puts the build right at $2000.

Fortunately, I got some sweet deals from waiting around and searching craigslist. I actually didn't pay anything for my xt brakes, I bought a lot of parts from a guy that couldn't get a project off the ground and needed money. In the end, I spent about $2000 but have a bike that would easily retail for a lot more than that

You have k MAX to buy a 29er AM bike...-yelli-screamy-4.jpg
    Last edited by cpfitness; 06-09-2013 at 07:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'd look at a Satori.

bike rider
    Well there's lots of people dumping 29er AM bikes for 650s so go used, if you want to follow their mistakes.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Salsa is having a full suspension sale.. picked up a 2012 horse thief for $2025 this past winter on there closeout sale
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    May 2013
    +2 horsethief

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I already have it... a 2012 Blur LT I built up myself. Full build came in right at $2k. Granted, I bought and built this bike in Dec/Jan so the parts were a lot cheaper than right now (new frame directly from Santa Cruz's website sale), but I don't think I'll ever buy a "kit" bike again. I've got it right around 27 lbs and it's the most fun bike I've ever had- and that's coming from a Nomad Carbon.

High level specs include: Fox Float 32 150 RL fork, WTB Stryker Race wheelset, Fox CTD rear shock, RS Reverb seatpost dropper, XT/X9 drivertrain, Avid Elixir 5 brakes.

*throwing money at screen" it ain't working! :/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast