Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5

    Yeti SB-66 vs Santa Cruz Bronson

    I've been looking to buy a new bike and have narrowed down my final choices to the yeti and the new santa cruz. Any insight would be appreciated, unfortunately my LBS does not have any Bronsons in stock for test rides, and the Yeti sb-66 is hard to find. Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    44
    26 vs 650..

    I am no fan of bigger wheels.. so sb66 (nomad /29er ht owner)

    As much as i love my nomad, SC's customer service is terrible my next bike will not be from them.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffijers View Post
    26 vs 650..

    I am no fan of bigger wheels.. so sb66 (nomad /29er ht owner)

    As much as i love my nomad, SC's customer service is terrible my next bike will not be from them.
    Do some research on SC customer service and you'll realize you can ignore this post.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Do some research on SC customer service and you'll realize you can ignore this post.
    Or just call them and see how helpful they are with a given problem.

    refused to sell me a butcher frame when no other distributers at the time would in my size. (Dist said they could not get a size large, SC said they had larges ready to go but could not sell direct.) Then a few months later they blow them all out in the size I was seeking.

    Bought a heckler.. wanted more.. bought a nomad. Called them looking for SC decals so the frame would still rock their name after re-painting it. Nope no decals for me.

    Friends Butcher developed spidering from top to bottom in the powder coat. Call SC.. sorry your SOL and say basically "we found out we suck at powdercoating and now outsource to someone else here is there number you can pay them to recoat it".

    Top notch customer service.. yup.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffijers View Post
    Or just call them and see how helpful they are with a given problem.

    refused to sell me a butcher frame when no other distributers at the time would in my size. (Dist said they could not get a size large, SC said they had larges ready to go but could not sell direct.) Then a few months later they blow them all out in the size I was seeking.

    Bought a heckler.. wanted more.. bought a nomad. Called them looking for SC decals so the frame would still rock their name after re-painting it. Nope no decals for me.

    Friends Butcher developed spidering from top to bottom in the powder coat. Call SC.. sorry your SOL and say basically "we found out we suck at powdercoating and now outsource to someone else here is there number you can pay them to recoat it".

    Top notch customer service.. yup.
    I won't deny your experience, but you are one of the only people I've ever seen with something bad to say about them. They have a near legendary reputation for good customer service. If bad customer service is keeping you from buying an SC bike, you are nuts.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I won't deny your experience, but you are one of the only people I've ever seen with something bad to say about them. They have a near legendary reputation for good customer service. If bad customer service is keeping you from buying an SC bike, you are nuts.
    there are many other good brands.. I have owned two SC bikes now and yes they are great but others are just as good. Also as i stated to the OP i picked yeti bc its a 26 & it is a great bike.

    But I agree it was weird how they handled 3 completely different situation. Negative outcome on all.. Sucks because they are one of the best design/looking bikes in my opinion.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5
    ok besides customer service, any other thoughts?

  8. #8
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,026
    aside from wheel size the bikes are similar. not really helpful but to decide you are going to have to figure out if you like 26'' or 650b better.

  9. #9
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,945
    SB66.... this 650B thing is just a fad
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

  10. #10
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffijers View Post
    As much as i love my nomad, SC's customer service is terrible my next bike will not be from them.
    SC customer service is top notch. I've seen them warranty bikes that are far outside warranty period. Free bearings for life. They pick up the phone. The list goes on. Do a search. Feeling are overwhelmingly positive.

    I've loved every SC bike I've ridden. nomad/heckler/butcher/tallboy/tallboyLT and I own a Nomad and Tallboy. I rode the SB66 and it was also awesome. The new switch thingy felt a little stiffer than their usual single pivot. I haven't had a chance to ride the bronson yet. I have to say, I'm not sure I'm going to replace the Nomad with another 26er. Very intrigued by the 650b.

  11. #11
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,294
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    SB66.... this 650B thing is just a fad
    Yeti should have made a 650b SB66c instead of the SB95c.
    Keep the Country country.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    46
    Get the Yeti SB66c, its awesome

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragz22 View Post
    Get the Yeti SB66c, its awesome
    I've seen a lot of people mention that they think that the suspension on the sb66 is just firm regardless of sag setting from the switch link, unless you really push it to the limit, which I'm not sure I'll be able to do.I've also heard that it just eats up travel and it's really easy to use all the possible travel even when unneeded, but I'm not convinced about this which is why I haven't given up on it yet.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    46
    I read a lot about the fox ctd set up on the 66 re problems, and brought it thinking I would buy a different shock, but I haven't had any problems yet. Maybe I just got lucky when setting it up. And I weigh 245lb with riding gear

  15. #15
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by surfboard3r View Post
    I've seen a lot of people mention that they think that the suspension on the sb66 is just firm regardless of sag setting from the switch link, unless you really push it to the limit, which I'm not sure I'll be able to do.I've also heard that it just eats up travel and it's really easy to use all the possible travel even when unneeded, but I'm not convinced about this which is why I haven't given up on it yet.
    If you swap the shock with a better one, the travel is bottomless on the SB-66. Vivid air really got my SB-66 to the next level.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    If you swap the shock with a better one, the travel is bottomless on the SB-66. Vivid air really got my SB-66 to the next level.
    I was looking at the Vivid Air, how does it ride going up? I can only imagine it would be awesome when pointed downhill

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    If you swap the shock with a better one, the travel is bottomless on the SB-66. Vivid air really got my SB-66 to the next level.
    Before you switched the shock what did you think of the travel?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,888
    Lets just hope that Yeti has done something to add some life to the pivot bearings... last I heard this was a major issue of the frame.

    I've ridden the Bronson though. One ride was all it took for me to sell my blinged out stumpy Evo 26. Now I just have to wait for it.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

  19. #19
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    780

    Re: Yeti SB-66 vs Santa Cruz Bronson

    Quote Originally Posted by surfboard3r View Post
    Before you switched the shock what did you think of the travel?
    It was ok for normal riding, but blew a bit through the travel when pushed Harder.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    SC customer service is top notch. I've seen them warranty bikes that are far outside warranty period. Free bearings for life. They pick up the phone. The list goes on. Do a search. Feeling are overwhelmingly positive.

    I've loved every SC bike I've ridden. nomad/heckler/butcher/tallboy/tallboyLT and I own a Nomad and Tallboy. I rode the SB66 and it was also awesome. The new switch thingy felt a little stiffer than their usual single pivot. I haven't had a chance to ride the bronson yet. I have to say, I'm not sure I'm going to replace the Nomad with another 26er. Very intrigued by the 650b.

    ok then tell them to sell me some Nomad decals so i can re-coat my bike. lol

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charging_rhinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,563
    The SB-66 is a very low and nimble bike. I rode one last year in moab and it was extremely fun. Like a flying squirrel on crack. Super fun. But it does have a pretty low bb height. I hit the pedals fairly often at first, until I got used to it. After a few hours, I didn't hit at all. The only complaint I had at all with the bike is that it often felt a tad nervous when going really fast through choppy stuff. I haven't ridden the Bronson, but I bet it's higher rotational moment of inertia from the big wheels would make it a tad more stable than the SB-66 at high speed.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    SB66.... this 650B thing is just a fad
    Not a lot of 26" here.Those that are building in alloy are slamming them out pretty quick.

    24 Bikes of the Enduro World Series - Pinkbike

Similar Threads

  1. Santa Cruz Bronson picture thread
    By jazzanova in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 1988
    Last Post: 1 Day Ago, 11:18 AM
  2. Santa Cruz Bronson
    By reformed roadie in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 256
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 09:12 PM
  3. New Santa Cruz Bronson Bike?
    By dustman in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 909
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 09:22 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-14-2013, 08:42 PM
  5. Turner Burner or Santa Cruz Bronson?
    By gnomer in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 06:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •