Wannabe

Yeti SB-66 vs Giant Reign 0

The new Yeti SB-66 and the Giant Reign 0 are pretty close in price and both seem to be good bikes. They do have their differences though (head angle, suspension, etc) I'm wondering if there are area's where one bike excels more than the other, such as pedaling efficiency up hill or how playful it feels on the way down.

There's a place I can demo the Giant locally, but no one has the SB-66 for me to try on a trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you are buying a complete build, that is q good amount of coin. I'd wait for a demo day to ride the Yeti. Big decision to get wrong. Maybe call Yeti and see if there will be any demo days anywhere near you. Hell, if I was going to drop $3500+ on a bike, I'd be willing to get on a plane to demo one.

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    I ride a Giant Trance advanced SL and just demo'ed a carbon SB-66. I've never rode a Reign but I'm sure its a similar ride to my Trance with added weight and suspension to keep in mind. 1st thing I noticed was how well the Yeti pedaled in and out of the saddle something my Trance cannot do. The maestro suspension is a great design but when you get out of the saddle its a bobber. Steering was precise and the suspension felt so freaking amazing going over any type of terrain. Climbing long distance, my Trance was easier because its lighter and has less travel, but it wonders more than the Yeti. Going down hill the SB66 blew my Trance away. The Trance handles the trail nicely but the Yeti is just plain sick and it feels like you're cheating. I just plowed threw everything with ease.

One thing that is hard to explain is the feel you get when you throw your leg over a Yeti. My Trance advanced is a sweet bike but its also a production bike. The Yeti is a hand built "boutique bike" The frame design and finish on this bike is like no other. Just absolutely stunning!!! The demo made me want the ASR 5c only because I struggle climbing long distance and thats the majority of the riding here in Utah. As soon as I can demo one, and if its as sweet as the SB66 I'm switching to Yeti.

Another reason I'm switching is because CompetitiveCyclist.com here in Utah just announced that going forward they are doing a lifetime return policy on all their new bikes going forward. If you've bought from them in the past the lifetime warranty does not apply. Giant will warranty the bike if its a manufacture defect. Competitive cyclist will exchange the bike regardless of manufacturers defect or if you cracked it slamming on a rock. If Its damaged under the manufacturers warranty they will go through them, however if the the manufacture does not cover the damage or if the warranty is expired CC will exchange the bike, Thats pretty freaking sweet!!!!

mtbr member
    Does that Competitive Cyclist exchange/return program entail you getting full value for your return/exchange? That would be insane, in the best way,

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    I Know!!!! I called and asked to talk to a manager to confirm and he confirmed it. Full Value for the life of the bike... Nutty!!! He said he hopes people don't take advantage of the system or they'll be forced to stop the incentive. I'm buying my ASR 5 tomorrow!!

mtbr member
    Maaaan! That would've probably led to me buying from them, but I already went for a 5 Spot frame and most of the components. Great find!

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    The Reign will be the cheaper of the two for practically the same performance. But the SB-66 is not a bad option if you have the cash. I'll vote SB for sure if you can afford to spend that extra $$.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by utley06 View Post
    I ride a Giant Trance advanced SL and just demo'ed a carbon SB-66. I've never rode a Reign but I'm sure its a similar ride to my Trance with added weight and suspension to keep in mind. 1st thing I noticed was how well the Yeti pedaled in and out of the saddle something my Trance cannot do. The maestro suspension is a great design but when you get out of the saddle its a bobber. Steering was precise and the suspension felt so freaking amazing going over any type of terrain. Climbing long distance, my Trance was easier because its lighter and has less travel, but it wonders more than the Yeti. Going down hill the SB66 blew my Trance away. The Trance handles the trail nicely but the Yeti is just plain sick and it feels like you're cheating. I just plowed threw everything with ease.

One thing that is hard to explain is the feel you get when you throw your leg over a Yeti. My Trance advanced is a sweet bike but its also a production bike. The Yeti is a hand built "boutique bike" The frame design and finish on this bike is like no other. Just absolutely stunning!!! The demo made me want the ASR 5c only because I struggle climbing long distance and thats the majority of the riding here in Utah. As soon as I can demo one, and if its as sweet as the SB66 I'm switching to Yeti.

Another reason I'm switching is because CompetitiveCyclist.com here in Utah just announced that going forward they are doing a lifetime return policy on all their new bikes going forward. If you've bought from them in the past the lifetime warranty does not apply. Giant will warranty the bike if its a manufacture defect. Competitive cyclist will exchange the bike regardless of manufacturers defect or if you cracked it slamming on a rock. If Its damaged under the manufacturers warranty they will go through them, however if the the manufacture does not cover the damage or if the warranty is expired CC will exchange the bike, Thats pretty freaking sweet!!!!

Apples to Oranges to Kiwis
    Nobody cares...........

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Never rode either one, but...

The classic statement ... "you just need to test ride them both and see which one fits you best"... very repetitive, but very true.

mtbr member
    May 2004

fit it is...

Honestly, fit is a HUGE difference between these two bikes.
    Look @ the top tube lengths for a Large:
    Reign : 24.2"
    SB-66 : 25.1"

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    Apples to Oranges to Kiwis
    I love you

perpetual pucker factor
    I own a Reign 1, and I took a brand new SB-66 out for a full day in Moab this february. Here are my thoughts on them both:

Reign:
    Pros: nice and universal geometry, seems to me to be equally good at the up and the down. Feels a bit slacker than it says on paper when descending. Very stable and smooth at speed, zero bob when cranking. Lifetime warranty on the frame is pretty rad too.

Cons: Can feel a tad sluggish when whipping the bike through very tight slalom turns. Usually a few strange house-branded components on the bike that are pretty lame. Feels a bit tall when jumping, making it a bit hard to control on more lippy jumps.

Yeti:
    Pros: Super nimble. Lightning fast from side to side. Very good pedaling too. Little to no bob when climbing. Bike sits quite low so it feels more playful than the Reign. It really feels like a low rider when sitting on it compared to my reign: long and low. Did I mention extremely nimble? The bike was VERY fun to ride. Lighter leverage ratio in the rear shock means less air pressure needed.

Cons: Bottom bracket is very low. I hit the pedals all day long, even when ratcheting over stuff. I strongly recommend 165 or shorter cranks and super thin pedals on this bike. Felt a bit squirrely when going fast through chop, but not unmanageably so. Just not quite as stable as the Reign. I find this interesting because it is quite long and appears to have very slack angles to the onlooker

They are both very capable bikes. The Reign is by no means a 'budget' rider's bike like many seem to think. It is super high quality, rips both up and down, and of course the price is very good as well. Climbing performance is probably a tie. Going down hills through chunky stuff, I think the Reign is a bit smoother and more plush feeling. The SB-66 is very good at descending, just a bit more nimble and squirrely. Almost uneasy feeling, but still controllable. The low bottom bracket makes it handle faster than anything I've ever ridden before, so it gets my vote on tight, turny, and jumpy trails. But it does clip pedals quite often as a result. Never had more pedal strikes on any bike. All totaled, either will be an excellent bike. They are both top shelf rides in my book.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sb-66! It just looks better

mtbr member
    I don't have any seat time on the sb66 but I have over 700 miles on my reign now. I can tell you that for the price, the reign is a whole lot of bike. I came off a 575 demo before I bought the giant, and the reign was definitely head and shoulders better in the rough and pointed downhill. Like the guy above said, the bike feels a hell of a lot slacker and longer than the geo indicates.

I can't speak for durability of the yeti, bit I can safely say that my reign has been as durable a bike as I've owned. Bearings still feel great, I haven't had to tinker with anything adjustment wise, and im pretty notorious for being brutal on equipment.

either way, im sure you can't go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Tired sb-66 with a fox 36 160. The seat tube angle is very small and I don't like the feel when I climb with a high saddle.

The reign is much plusher too. It may be a penalty of its high pedal efficiency.