mtbr member

Yeti SB-66 unveiled

Last edited by cheezwhip; 06-06-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    SWEET!!!

mtbr member
    Looks killer at first blush
    sure does
    08 giant reign x1
    09 mongoose tyax elite
    09 avanti derelikt

local trails rider
    Yeti has it on their site:
    http://www.yeticycles.com/#/bikes/SB66/1/

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    looks amazing! wonder what the pricetag on that thing will be...

mtbr member
    yes yes ! much better than 575
    I'm from Ukraine, Kiev
    I'm graphics and web designer
    Follow me on Behance

mtbr member
    looks like a Saracen slept with a Tr. Covert...nice lookin kid, though. the suspension looks eerily close to a dept store Decathlon RockRider I saw in France years ago. not hatin (still have a FRO w/Accu-Traxs!!) just statin.

Trail Rider
    From the Pinkbike article:

• MSRP in USD; Frame Only - Fox Factory RP23 - $2200, SB-66 Enduro (X9/X7) $3500, SB-66 Race (XT Kit) $4500, and SB-66 Pro (XTR Kit) $6150.
    • Carbon will be available in December and will shave a pound off the total frame weight. Price TBD.

Pretty bike.
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8

local trails rider
    That excentric "micro link" thing is an interesting twist. I'll be interested to hear some real world reports on how well it does.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Dont think the price on the 575 will be affected as much, this bike is not replacing it, this is an addition to the fleet rather than a sustitution...

anxious to hear some ride reports

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I wonder if you could swap the eccentric micro link for a concentric pivot and just have a single pivot suspension system...what you would gain would be relibility at the risk of FUBARing your suspension linkages/shock...

meow meow
    this bike looks sick but what makes me super stoked is that this coming out should make the prices on the left over 575 frames drop which i have been eying for a while.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by masterlucasdude View Post
    Looks awesome!!! But where am I gonna put my water? Wwwwhhhhhhyhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????
    Same place where Ibis Mojo riders put it... Up there..

Under the top tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB-66 unveiled-s1600_eddieclark_yeti_sb66_dsc_8973.jpg  

mtbr member
    Those big dual thru-axles at the pivots should make the rear end pretty stiff.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    My LBS explained how the suspension worked. but he lost me until I looked at it. The main pivot rotates similar to the old Gt. idrive. but works more like Knolly suspension where there is a lot of platform movement from pedaling but minimal frame bob. The Yeti pivot rotates forward while the frame stays level. personally I will be looking at the 575.

I must say that I am dissapointed that they reverted to using the rotating pivot. I guess it does save complexity using the links like the knolly but... Just saying!!
    Last edited by FNG RIDER; 06-07-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    looks like a Saracen slept with a Tr. Covert...nice lookin kid, though. the suspension looks eerily close to a dept store Decathlon RockRider I saw in France years ago. not hatin (still have a FRO w/Accu-Traxs!!) just statin.
    Take a closer look at the main pivot though.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Yeti say this gives the bike "a more aggressive, sportier feel" than the 575, which will stay in their lineup for those who prefer a plusher, more comfortable ride. "The SB66 works best when it's pushed hard – into berms, over jumps and blasting through rough terrain," they say."[It] encourages more rider input and has a decidedly more 'performance' feel."
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...rst-look-30488

mtbr member

mtbr member

Long TT

What do you guys think about the long TT. That has to be the longest size medium TT I have seen (24.1). That is other companies size large. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Just wondering what others are thinking.

TG

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I like charts and graphs.

mtbr member
    Damn. One of the hottest rigs I've seen in a while.
    konahonzo

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    What do you guys think about the long TT.
    I think that you can then run a short stem.

Also, seat tube angle is slacker than on some bikes. It means you can put the seat a little more forward on the rail, making the bike not all that long.

Seat tube lengths are plentiful, so you can also pick a smaller size if you are sure the frame won't be too short.

mtbr member
    Reminds me a lot of the Busby iDrive system (which is a good thing!).

mtbr member
    This is exactly the kind of bike I have been looking for, the fact that it is a Yeti makes it even more appealing. Once I fix my god forsaken back, I will be selling my 575, and getting one of these with a lyrik up front!
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Looks beautiful. I hope people start selling 575 frames so I can pick one up for cheap to replace my hardtail frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I like charts and graphs.

Is there a graph for FSR and/or 4bar suspensions?

mtbr member
    Looks awesome!!! But where am I gonna put my water? Wwwwhhhhhhyhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    But where am I gonna put my water?
    In your fanny pack?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS View Post
    In your fanny pack?
    LOL I would rather get a cute little basket for the front of it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    it's nice. Not Yeti dealers in the East coast. Wish I could test ride it.

mtbr member
    Super sweet.

My Reign X is a bit small for me, that thing looks awesome and big. ( i'm 6'6" )

Oh, So Interesting!
    Kinda wonder what frame weight will be...

I also prefer the shock leverage curve of dw link or a slightly progressive single pivot. I want the sus to ramp up more near the end stroke. The 575 almost looks like it was designed to wallow in it's mid stroke, or "be comfortable" rather....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    What do you guys think about the long TT. That has to be the longest size medium TT I have seen (24.1). That is other companies size large. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Just wondering what others are thinking.

TG
    Excellent, run it with a short stem and an inline post. More bikes should have this geometry, it sits you in the middle of the wheelbase so the bike ought to feel a whole bunch more stable on the steep. Better than some brand's 'ass out over the rear axle' geometries for certain.

mtbr member
    In your belly!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    get a xc bike. this is a mans bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just got to ride of these and I would have to say that it is amazing. I have a friend that works at a bike magazine and he invited me to give it a ride around the parking lot. great of peddling, but it is stuff down hill. Amazing XC bike!

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Interesting... I noticed this point in the chat below the article:

And even better the Decathlon N.E.U.F.:
    Decathlon is a French sports superstore giant like Wlukeh said. This frame exists since 2006.

Looks very similar to me, esp the isolation bearing, size and position...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumV12 View Post
    [/I]Looks very similar to me, esp the isolation bearing, size and position...
    I would assume the most interesting question is if the lower link rotates the same way or switches direction - which Yeti seems to highlight as innovation.

mtbr member
    I am guessing the Yeti-SB66 might be built better and function differently than the Rockrider Decathlon. Still, it's interesting to see the similarities. I'm gonna say the Yeti might ride a leeeetle bit better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisstraley View Post
    Just got to ride of these and I would have to say that it is amazing. I have a friend that works at a bike magazine and he invited me to give it a ride around the parking lot. great of peddling, but it is stuff down hill. Amazing XC bike!
    You could tell this from a parking lot spin?
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Holy cow.....I thought frames were expensive when they broke the $2,000 barrier. Looks like the Carbon frame is going to hit $3,000 when it comes out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Interesting... I noticed this point in the chat below the article:

And even better the Decathlon N.E.U.F.:
    Decathlon is a French sports superstore giant like Wlukeh said. This frame exists since 2006.

Looks very similar to me, esp the isolation bearing, size and position...
    I've seen that before but notice the Yeti has an upper link and that doesn't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    That's very significant as far as I understand mini link designs too

mtbr member
    the 66 is so sick. i would love to own one

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    That's very significant as far as I understand mini link designs too
    Looks like it does have an upper link. You can see it - it is black in color.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    But there is no pivot for that "link". It could be a super awesome water bottle mount.

mtbr member
    Yep, I can see it now. The pivot at the bottom end of that link is hidden behind the vertical part of the rear triangle assembly.

Omnipotent
    May 2011

Upset Bling Blauuuuu!!! Y.E.T.I BLING!

Glad others share my curiosity... Course there's technical diffs, but that Iso-bearing looks too similar for Yeti to claim "innovation." Eh if they lifted the idea AND improved upon it, great, time to shell out royalties lol... I can't imagine the action of said bearing to be "unique" unless they really wanted to get complex and make it some kind of reverse direction rotation.... Either way just something I noticed hhehe...

I'd LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to pwn that 66', but jesus, you gotta be a pro-ball player to justify the cost of these bikes today. Come on folks, this is creeping up on the cost of a pre-owned car that's actually reliable and minus rust spots lol. $4000? Asinine purchase if you ask me; is it REALLLLLLY going to handle/perform 100% better vs a $2000 bike? This is where I start having major issues with these "bikes..." $4000 is not just a "bike," any longer imo. (Yes I know how much carbon costs, I ride it and fear it at the same time ha)... In biker terms this "bike" is like seeing a Carrera-GT parked outside; U cannot leave it unattended for too long, someone IS going to brute force it and you'll be had... My former carbon composite attracted too much attention and it was antiquated.

Damn I just like that name too... Having big arse "Y.E.T.I" sprayed on my bike would look sick! Bling bling!

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Glad others share my curiosity... Course there's technical diffs, but that Iso-bearing looks too similar for Yeti to claim "innovation." Eh if they lifted the idea AND improved upon it, great, time to shell out royalties lol... I can't imagine the action of said bearing to be "unique" unless they really wanted to get complex and make it some kind of reverse direction rotation.... Either way just something I noticed hhehe...

I'd LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to pwn that 66', but jesus, you gotta be a pro-ball player to justify the cost of these bikes today. Come on folks, this is creeping up on the cost of a pre-owned car that's actually reliable and minus rust spots lol. $4000? Asinine purchase if you ask me; is it REALLLLLLY going to handle/perform 100% better vs a $2000 bike? This is where I start having major issues with these "bikes..." $4000 is not just a "bike," any longer imo. (Yes I know how much carbon costs, I ride it and fear it at the same time ha)... In biker terms this "bike" is like seeing a Carrera-GT parked outside; U cannot leave it unattended for too long, someone IS going to brute force it and you'll be had... My former carbon composite attracted too much attention and it was antiquated.

Damn I just like that name too... Having big arse "Y.E.T.I" sprayed on my bike would look sick! Bling bling!
    What?

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    What?
    lol, my thoughts too. kinda lost where that one was going didnt ya?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Zonenschein has their "Pan" line of frames (dh / fr / all mountain / enduro / slopestyle) constructed with this epicentric trickery. Dirt magazine wrote a little about the dh version some time ago.

Since my post count is a bit low, MTBR won't let me post any links or images, so google...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    What?
    The correct exclamation is:

Wut?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Yep, I can see it now. The pivot at the bottom end of that link is hidden behind the vertical part of the rear triangle assembly.
    I see it too. Very peculiar indeed on the similarities.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tmmt View Post
    Zonenschein has their "Pan" line of frames (dh / fr / all mountain / enduro / slopestyle) constructed with this epicentric trickery. Dirt magazine wrote a little about the dh version some time ago.

Since my post count is a bit low, MTBR won't let me post any links or images, so google...
    I Googled.. and I would repeat myself about the point that Yeti's claimed innovation in SB suspension is the eponymous "switch" of direction part. I have no idea if the Pan, or Decathlon N.E.U.F. do that. Would be interesting to clarify.

In any case, nothing like that is on sale in U.S. right now, so any discussion about the other frames that look similar are only of interest to the patent office and historians.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Wait...what? No really....what?

mtbr member
    My bike used to be the sickest, stiffest, plushest bike on the planet. But now that I want this bike (even though I haven't much less seen a few pictures of it) that is beyond an oblivion of doubt the sickest, stiffest, plushest ride around!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    thats a sick looking bike!