mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Yeti sb-66 or transition covert?

im currently waiting on a yeti sb-66, but lately ive been looking at the covert and if i dont want to wait I can get a covert right now. I would have the same build kit for both with a fox 36 float. Ive never been on a covert but i have a tr450 and love that bike and the quality of transition bikes. I got to do a parking lot test of the sb-66 and really liked it, but havent had the chance to take it on the trail either. Any thought on the two bikes and which one i should go for? As for trails i do, Most are riding up a long fire road followed by a long technical descent and I do get shuttled every once an a while(thanks to the wifey), but I do some all day xcish trails as well.

mtbr member
    You have a Transition- you know they don't build the lightest bikes but they build them to last. The SB66 looks sweet- but it's a first gen suspension design that's already had some issues with the bearings- who knows if anything else will pop up when these bikes start getting some real mileage under them. At least with the Covert- it's a tried and true design that sits at the burlier end of the AM category and should last for years to come.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Covert. What he ^ said + there is no time like the present! I have no patience when it comes to receiving and riding a new bike so that would be the deal breaker for me.

The Covert won't climb like the SB and the SB won't descend like the Covert. Covert will ride more plush while the SB will have an edge to it. Your choice! Mine is Covert.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden a Covert, but my SB66 thoroughly impresses going both UP and DOWN.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    I haven't ridden a Covert, but my SB66 thoroughly impresses going both UP and DOWN.
    x2!

The SB continues to impress me in both directions as well. I have owned and ridden several other "AM" bikes out there, including a Banshee Rune, Turner RFX, NomadC, HD, Cove G-Spot, Trek Remedy/Scratch, Pivot Firebird and the SB has been my fav so far. The only dis I have experienced is going through rear shock eyelet bushings pretty fast (within 2 months each time). On Enduro eyelet bearings now, should last much longer. Also, there is a considerable amount of chain slap with minimal chain length when using a standard RD and no chain guide despite the rubber CS protector. Think a RD with stabilization control (XTR shadow plus) is necessity for controlling this on this suspension design at least. I am waiting for the SLX version to come out in a couple of months

Haven't ridden and speak of a Covert, but if you really like your TR450, probably not a bad way to go, especially since Transition is pretty cool company that makes solid rides as well!

The SB is a super sweet ride if you like to ride a little bit of everything on one bike. With a 160 fork and solid parts like Saint brakes, wide bars, short stem, burly'ish wheels like I am running, feels like a mini-DH rig at times that can still bust out 5k' of climbing as needed like I did one day last weekend
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks guys for all the input. It seems 50/50 almost from all the feedback so I dont think I could go wrong either way. Since I already have a DH rig, I would like a bike with an edge on climbing but at the same time I dont want to be working on the bike all season and having to take it to the shop all the time. Im going to give the shop a call tomorrow and see whats going on with the yeti, if they dont know...I dont know what im going to do haha.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This exact question came up in another thread not too long ago, that one came out 50/50 too.

For me it would come down to service - which has the better warranty, and which shop you prefer dealing with - but if they are from the same shop that won't help either!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I know! Its a tough one, I think im going to stick with the yeti because I actually get to test that one and know I really like it. I figure since I have the dh bike already, ill just take the one with a slight edge on climbing. But now im confused as to what build kit I want. My original order is basically a covert 2 build kit with a fox 36 float and a few little additional things like an mrp 2x guide, handle bars, reverb ect. The yeti xt build with a fox 32 150 is about the same price and im not sure if I should go with a more aggresive trail build to try and save weight since it isnt going to be my only bike. But will that even make that much a difference? I dont want to be kickin myself in the a#$ later wishing I had gone with the more burly set up.

bike rider
    My friend was on Covert for a couple years and switched the parts over to a SB66. He's very happy with the change.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Go to Sea Otter and see if you can get a 34mm fork from Fox or Xfusion!

I think a 32mm 150 travel fork will underwhelm you if you ride like a downhiller. You can pick up an Xfusion2011 vengeance HLR 160mm fork for $500. Really a steal since Xfusions products are easily on par with Rock Shox and Fox. I went from a lyrik to the vengeance and haven't looked back since!

Calm like a Bomb
    Curious as a follow-up how you are liking your covert - do you regret not getting the Yeti.

After much research it really seems the Yeti is a tad more trail oriented and the covert more AM.

Seems like the weight between both is roughly the same with the covert having a tad more travel

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I ended up with the yeti and couldnt be happier. I havent been able to test a covert but Im sure it rides great too. I also got a tr450 and it seems to be great combo. I think the yeti is more than capable of handling light DH though in fact i have used both on local DH trail and AM. Both bikes work great, obviously the yeti pedals way better and the tr450 destroys the DH but they are both a blast to ride. The new coverts looks sick though too.