Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Yeti SB-66 / Stumpy EVO / Blur LT

Hello there!

I've got a Cannondale Prophet with 36 right now as my main trail/am/miniDH bike. (I also have Norco DH 2010 but have actually ridden it 10 days in 2010/2011).

I want to sell both.
    Reasons to sell Norco because I almost dont ride it. Would be smarter to rent a DH bike on a resort. Reasons to sell Prophet:
    1. I want to fit reverb seatpost
    2. Rear QR and flexy frame
    3. Want modern suspension design.

I am looking for an agressive trail bike for all:
    70% - low elevation smooth technical singletrack, trail riding actually
    30% - big all-mountain riding + parks + DH

I try to ride aggressively. Pump every downslope, every corner, pop on stuff and to some natural gaps as much as possible. On vocations it is sometimes really steep and technical. I also race super-D twice a year and need a little more confidence inspiring bike.

I like about SB-66:
    Looong / efficient pedaling / supposed to pump efficiently / slack / low BB / looks / stiff frame / rear 12mm axle

What concerns me in SB-66:
    Will it rip technical singletrack with Talsa set to 130mm? HA seems nice, but BB height bothers me. It will be almost same as with 150 32forks and I also got used to low BB on prophet - but is it ridebale on trail (not a long climb on fireroad)? I always use geo adjust on prophet XC (steep, high BB) for trail riding where I live, FR (slack, low BB) when go to big mountains.

Other options are:
    Stumpy EVO. I like its light but it has rear QR a real disappointment. I suppose stumpy might work better for trail but will be less forgiving in AM Will it work good with 36 on it? The price for a mass market brand seems high.
    Blur LT. Might be not as slack as I like even with 36 on it.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    skip the blur lt2 and put nomad in its place- much slacker- great up and much better down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saxen View Post
    skip the blur lt2 and put nomad in its place- much slacker- great up and much better down
    Was thinking about it, but seems overkill for my trail riding, it will be too plush and lazy... It also have short reach (blur should also...)

Yeti is what really took my attention because of what should be super efficient suspension - the leverage rate and chain length growth graphs really impress! If it's marketing ********, but the first reviews seem to prove it.

I gotta pee
    Wait for the 2012 stumpy evo, 142 rear end which is ta that will solve your qr woes. Sb-66 is an amazing bike but for 95% of your riding you would the the stumpy

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Igor, you have a tall order there. None of your pick will be excelled at the DH park (without knowing how high the gaps/jump you want to hit). Travel 6" and less is hardly comfortable for a DH ride. Said that all your selection will cover most of your riding track.
    I more leaning to SB-66 from your pick, but look also on Pivot Firebird, Giant Reign-X if you want some more cushion for you big AM/mini-DH day.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamatt View Post
    Wait for the 2012 stumpy evo, 142 rear end which is ta that will solve your qr woes. Sb-66 is an amazing bike but for 95% of your riding you would the the stumpy
    Yup, the EVO was the first contender since I saw the video about it. forgot that it has 12mm TA But the FSR is not really efficient and bobs quite a lot, and the new Yeti design is something promising, ans same 150mm travel and supposed to have no bob at all. Even the geo is very similar. Both are great actually, but Stumpy seems a little more trail oriented as SB leans more to AM.

Probably I'll buy the cheaper and easier to get frame

2 bike would be interesting also... I can live a prophet for where I live and but a smaller fork on it and get a Yeti with 36 for mountains. Gotta think this one over!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    Igor, you have a tall order there. None of your pick will be excelled at the DH park (without knowing how high the gaps/jump you want to hit). Travel 6" and less is hardly comfortable for a DH ride. Said that all your selection will cover most of your riding track.
    I more leaning to SB-66 from your pick, but look also on Pivot Firebird, Giant Reign-X if you want some more cushion for you big AM/mini-DH day.
    Sure none of them is a true DH/park bike BUT I am planning to rent one if I need most of the time a prefer true AM rides on natural terrain and trails. It's wiser to rent a DH bike 7-10 days a year than it's is just standing in my house for 99% of the time...

And you can have loads of fun on DH course on a 6" bike! Just need some skills not talking about Champery though

So more burly bike is not an option at all!
    6-5.5" rear travel is what I am looking at. The trail I ride 70% of time are like rollercoaster + pumptrack and you have to pedal hard. I tried 5" bikes of my mates, but the seem to much XC - low front end, steep and low travel...

One more option is to have two forks for them 32 and 36 - sensible? Or 130mm 36 will be the same ATC length?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTIgor View Post
    Was thinking about it, but seems overkill for my trail riding, it will be too plush and lazy... It also have short reach (blur should also...).
    Curious if you've demo'd one before making this assessment/statement?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Curious if you've demo'd one before making this assessment/statement?
    yup, many times, but it was long ago

mtbr member
    Gotcha.
    The other thought that popped into my head is the SC Blur LT is currently using a tapered head tube...meaning it's capable of having an Angleset installed to reduce head tube angle...

Edit: oh, I'm currently (this afternoon) swapping out a 32 Float 150 to a 36 Float 160 on a BLTc for the purpose of slacking the bike out and raising the BB a touch. I can update w/ a ride impression when I have a chance to go tear it up this wknd...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    would be nice!

mtbr member
    It is definatly worth doing another demo. The VPP on the Nomad changed a few years back and the updated one is supposed to pedal much better. I have a 2007 stumpjumber I demoed a Blur LT and a Mojo HD. Both peddled noticibly better then my old Stumpy and demolished it downhill. I now have an HD on order because it had the best pedaling platform of all the long travel bikes (SB-66 is not out yet and has less travel and is heavier)and if I find its to much I can convert the front and back to 140.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    Man I was looking at the SB's tricky pivot set...and what scares me is it's a pivot within a pivot! What will the longevity be and how expensive is this pivot to replace?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

usually cranky
    Gotcha.
    The other thought that popped into my head is the SC Blur LT is currently using a tapered head tube...meaning it's capable of having an Angleset installed to reduce head tube angle...
    +1. a slacker blt sounds like what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    test ride the SB-66 before you commit to it, I did and wasn't as impressed as I had hoped to be.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a 2011 stumpy fsr, the rear shock can lock out. I have never noticed any bobbing on it. I think the EVO version would best fit your needs. If not then I would look at the enduro as it should handle what you want to throw at it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fureak View Post
    I have a 2011 stumpy fsr, the rear shock can lock out. I have never noticed any bobbing on it.
    Well, ya wouldn't if the sucka is locked out
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    it's a pivot within a pivot!
    i think its an awesome design.

has anyone noticed that the new bikes from Mountain Cycle feature a strikingly similar suspension design?

Mountain Cycle - Zen II

they call the zenII a trail/AM bike but it looks like it could take some pretty hard riding compared to the average 5in bike

mtbr member
    actually, after looking closer, they are pretty different due to where the moving pivot is, but both do use the same basic concept of a moving pivot

Woods Ready
    I think the EVO linkage is a little different than the regular FSR if I am not mistaken. I just got an EVO for a trail bike. It's almost more bike than I need. I didn't notice any more bobbing than on my Superlight. It's a very plush ride

mtbr member
    Nvrmnd...dbl post
    Last edited by Pau11y; 08-10-2011 at 07:37 PM.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Sure none of them is a true DH/park bike BUT I am planning to rent one if I need most of the time a prefer true AM rides on natural terrain and trails. It's wiser to rent a DH bike 7-10 days a year than it's is just standing in my house for 99% of the time...

And you can have loads of fun on DH course on a 6" bike! Just need some skills not talking about Champery though

So more burly bike is not an option at all!
    6-5.5" rear travel is what I am looking at. The trail I ride 70% of time are like rollercoaster + pumptrack and you have to pedal hard. I tried 5" bikes of my mates, but the seem to much XC - low front end, steep and low travel...

One more option is to have two forks for them 32 and 36 - sensible? Or 130mm 36 will be the same ATC length?
    If you want to hover around 5.5" - 6" travel, sure you can find many of them in this category. Somehow I see the virtual pivot short links bike (dW-Link, VPP, Switch, etc) offers efficient pedaling and good bump absorption.
    And yes, 36 fork (with 160mm travel) bring a new boundary to your trail riding. I have ridden Pivot Mach 5.7 with 160mm fork and it's way better that the original fork 140/150mm. The frame is strong enough for 160mm (for me) no matter Chris Cocalis say.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Man I was looking at the SB's tricky pivot set...and what scares me is it's a pivot within a pivot! What will the longevity be and how expensive is this pivot to replace?
    It's not more complicated than the other mini-links bike to me. How many (main) pivot are there on DW-Link/VPP? 4? (not including the shock mount). And they are known to put so much stress on the lower bearing (the reason of the manufacturer to put tougher or double row bearing there).
    From kinematic point of view, (I feel, note that it's not a scientific thought) the stress could also be created from the relative distance between upper and lower pivot. On the Switch technology, those pivots are closer so I hope the stress is not as much on the mini links.
    The proprietary design of the Switch pivot is another thing.
    Time will tell if it's durable enough over the time.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yxan View Post
    test ride the SB-66 before you commit to it, I did and wasn't as impressed as I had hoped to be.
    I can't agree more with this classic advice. And it's an interesting thought that you didn't impress that much on SB-66, but I am fully with you.
    We are always hoping the new model/technology will bring us something better, but what is better measured against?
    With the mini-links bike introduction few years back (esp DW-Link) people start to adapt the anti-squat concept more and more. I was in the same boat and tried different bike with different suspension model, to came up with mixed feeling. While I felt some VPP/DW-Link bikes are mostly very efficient on climbing but some were not meeting my expectation on plushness when bombing down rocky trail. It is more true for light rider like me.

It's clear that too much anti-squat must also not as good likewise too less antiquat, at least for me. And since anti-squat is more of geometry function, the shock tuning may have also limitation to deal with it (but that's another story).
    I still have the access to ride the bike with Horst-Link, VPP-1, DW-Link (gen-1 and gen-2), Maestro, FSR, single pivot, and I am now always checking the anti-squat functionality to compare with the ride feel.
    Sorry for derailling the thread, but I just can't stop to raise this thought.
    I still want to try the SB-66 though, to confirm my thought further.

Ramp Local
    The Trek Scratch Air or 2012 Slash might be worth looking into for your needs. I'm currently saving for the Slash.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast