rider
    Sep 2013

Yeti SB-66 with downhill set up?!

Recently, through two years hard work, i bought myself a yeti SB-66. However, also recently, I have been getting more and more into downhill riding. My question is if i could put the Fox 40 Float 26 or the Fox 36 Float 180 for the fork (and yes, i know downhill is not all about travel ) Anyways, would this work out? The yeti SB-66 is an all mountain bike, but can it take basic to intermediate downhill riding?
    Last edited by fruitegg; 09-01-2013 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

OSCMTB
    Fox 40 on a 6lb carbon frame? Yikes!

rider
    Sep 2013
    It's a Yeti SB-66 alloy with the race build kit (all XT)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah - just to be clear in case the link doesn't work: Graves raced the world championship on what is essentially an all mtn/ Enduro build. Fox 40 on it? ummmmmm no. He typically runs a 34 but the build listed on the link indicates that he does, at times, run a 36. Most people waaaaay over estimate what kind of builds they need.

rider
    Sep 2013
    Thanks Todd S, found the link online. Some good info, and you're probably right about over estimating my ride… Planning on renting a GT Fury next weekend in Winter Park just to test out the shocks and see will find out if i am over. Thanks!

mtbr member

No. Just no. Don't put a 40 on it. Don't even put a 180mm fox 36 on it. The bike wasn't designed for it and it will void your warranty. Get a nice 160 mm fork like a fox 36 or rockshox lyrik (not a fox 34 160mm or anything like that) which the 66 was designed to take, and it will ride amazingly. It won't be a downhill bike, but it will take a good beating and be plenty capable. Only bad things come from trying to way over-fork a frame.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    A fox 40 I am sure would void the warranty, not to mention that it would totally mess up the bikes geometry.

a 180mm will still majorly compromise the geometry, you won't be able to seated climb properly cause you weight will be too far back. and if you want to ride only lift access trails - then buy a different bike made for it.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by horsey24 View Post
    A fox 40 I am sure would void the warranty, not to mention that it would totally mess up the bikes geometry.

a 180mm will still majorly compromise the geometry, you won't be able to seated climb properly cause you weight will be too far back. and if you want to ride only lift access trails - then buy a different bike made for it.
    A fox 40 and a fox 36 180mm fork have the same axle to crown length, so the geometry will be the same with both, and will be awful. Like I said, get a good, heavy duty 6.3 inch fork. That's the best, and most heavy duty way you can go. A SB-66 with a 36 or lyrik at 160mm will absolutely rip.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    you might consider just purchasing a used bike for park days. I am not sure where you live, but for the price of a new Fox 40 ($1300 give or take) you can probably find a decent DH rig.

Pinkbike currently has nearly 4,000 DH rigs for sale.
    Used Freeride/DH Bikes - Page 1 - Pinkbike Buy&Sell

Honestly though, you sound like someone with discipline around saving for a new rig. If I had your discipline I would save up for a legit rig and try a few along the way.

LCW
    mtbr member
    The 180 36 worked amazingly well for Graves, so the geo can work. It will be slacker than normal, but not a big deal. If I can run a 160 36 on my 575, no reason a 180 on an SB66 can't/won't work just as well. OP - go for it!
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

perpetual pucker factor
    I like how everyone is pointing to Jared Graves' PMB ride and saying 'hey look, he did it and it was fine!' Graves can get a new bike any time he wants, so I'm sure he doesn't care much about frame fatigue. Us mortals without the infinite free bike replacement holy grail connections do have to worry about it, provided we have any sense. Adding a 180mm single crown will probably work, yes. The hard part is telling for how long it will work. Increased leverage always = increased stress and fatigue. And we all know what happens when perfectly fine looking carbon decides to give up...

Oh, and don't go for a 40 on it. Or any other dual crown. Yes, it's not a big increase in axle-to-crown height from the 180, but it does change the forces the frame feels. It also would require you to add fork bumpers to the sides of your head tube area. When you crash hard, your fork uppers can put some impressive impulse forces on those bumpers, putting point-loads on your frame in ways it was most definitely not designed to take.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Perhaps I needed an emoticon to show my tongue planted in my cheek. The PMB course is an example of light dh (in my opinion) and that is why Graves was able to be so competitive on an "Enduro" spec bike. Most people never come close to maxing out the potential of a 6 inch travel bike, even on technical, "dh" terrain. Graves just shows that a supremely talented rider can do amazing things on about any bike.

To the OP: you have an amazing bike. Ride it and be happy that you have a first class steed. DH riding is not a class unto itself - your bike will be fine for some settings, but for park riding, the suggestion to try out some dedicated dh rigs and save for a purpose specific bike makes sense to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah the geometry looked really balanced on the all climbs Jared had to deal with in a downhill race... ?!

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    The 180 36 worked amazingly well for Graves, so the geo can work. It will be slacker than normal, but not a big deal. If I can run a 160 36 on my 575, no reason a 180 on an SB66 can't/won't work just as well. OP - go for it!

rider
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for all of the input! When I test rode the 66, it had the fox 36 with 160mm along with the rc4 taking up the rear. This felt, from what I remember, very plush without giving up any noticeable climbing disadvantages. Does this sound better than my original idea? and how about that rear shock, rc4 or float x or leave it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey man while not a SB-66, I had set my GT Force (150mm) up for a very brief time with a 180mm RS Domain. Similar geometry and it was actually great for DH but sucked when I came back home and tried to climb anything. Ended up converting the fork to 160 u-turn and now the bike is great everywhere including DH'ing.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by horsey24 View Post
    Yeah the geometry looked really balanced on the all climbs Jared had to deal with in a downhill race... ?!
    who said anything about climbing?? the whole topic of the OP's post relates to pointing it downhill
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitegg View Post
    Thanks for all of the input! When I test rode the 66, it had the fox 36 with 160mm along with the rc4 taking up the rear. This felt, from what I remember, very plush without giving up any noticeable climbing disadvantages. Does this sound better than my original idea? and how about that rear shock, rc4 or float x or leave it?
    Thats what im running. Float 36 160mm and dhx rc4 on my sb66.

Like it a lot. Chair assisted dh park is opening for the first time ever where I live in a couple weeks im anctious to try it on some mor dh stuff
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Heres an idea OP, why don't you get the Fox 36 Talas 180-140 so when you go downhill you get that 7.1 inches of travel like Graves, but when the trail goes up, just turn the lever and you've got 140mm. This will help maintain a good geometry when climbing, and will enable you to bomb downhill (within reason) and will totally rip! For the rear shock, go for the DHX RC4, sooo plush.