mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Yeti SB 66 Carbon: Fork options, 32 or 34?

Hi,

I am just about to buy a Yeti SB 66 Carbon and I am wondering if you would recommend going for a 32 or a 34 fork. The Enduro kit comes equipped with a FOX 32 150 CTD ADJ 15 and the Race comes with a FOX 34 150 CTD ADJ 15.

Does the 34 add significant stiffness over the 32? What would be the weight increase?

Thanks!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Yes and yes...

For an AM bike I would think the 34 is the way to go.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Buy a rockshox pike. Night and day difference over anything else on the market right now and it's light. I think putting a 32mm fork on a frame with 150+ mm of travel is a joke. If your concerned about weight THAT much, buy a bike with less travel and put the lighter stuff on that. Who cares if you have a 25 lb 6" "all mountain" bike if it feels like a wet noodle when you throw it into a rock garden, corner, or drop.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker831 View Post
    Buy a rockshox pike. Night and day difference over anything else on the market right now and it's light. I think putting a 32mm fork on a frame with 150+ mm of travel is a joke. If your concerned about weight THAT much, buy a bike with less travel and put the lighter stuff on that. Who cares if you have a 25 lb 6" "all mountain" bike if it feels like a wet noodle when you throw it into a rock garden, corner, or drop.
    Yea. I love Yeti, but I think they spec their bikes a little crooked. No dropper and 32mm Stanchions just isnt right. I absolutely love my lyrik on the front. A Pike would be nice as well.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Pike
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    34. It is most definitely stiffer. I'm a big guy and I could get my 32 to flex quite a bit when I really pushed the bike hard. That flex also creates more stiction since the seals and bushings have to try and straighten out a curved stanchion to allow it to slide. I wouldn't get the 32 unless you're xc racing.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

^^ +gazillion

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This is off camber but I just cannot buy a fork from a company that makes a tapered only, CTD dirt jump fork. A CTD DJ fork!?!?!

FOX 34 Float 831 - Eurobike 2013 - Pinkbike

Fox lost my business a few years ago and seem to be doing nothing to get it back. The pike looks solid.

RS/Marz/Xfusion > Fox all day, erry day...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Yes and yes...

For an AM bike I would think the 34 is the way to go.
    Agreed, buy a 34 or the RS Pike. So much better for a slight weight penalty in stiffness and tracking.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks guys, I'll check on the Pike. I have not considered it previously because Yeti equips with Fox from factory.

What are your experiences climbing with this monster? I love going down, but most of my friends are more XC oriented and I do not want to be the slowest of the bunch!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

It has more to do with fitness and wheel/tire weight than anything. Lighter and less travel will shave a minute or two off climbs at most. You'll be noticably more tired at the end compared to a race-ready XC bike, but you likely won't be too far behind unless you were behind with an XC bike also.

IMO, unless you're racing, the only reason to get a short travel XC-oriented bike is if your terrain is pretty boring (i.e. midwest) or you want a second bike for more boring terrain (i.e. live far from gnarly terrain).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnz View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll check on the Pike. I have not considered it previously because Yeti equips with Fox from factory.

What are your experiences climbing with this monster? I love going down, but most of my friends are more XC oriented and I do not want to be the slowest of the bunch!
    My friend kills me on his SB66 on the climbs but that has way more to do with the fact that he rides 3 times as much as I do. It climbs well but its not a race bike.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnz View Post
    Hi,

I am just about to buy a Yeti SB 66 Carbon and I am wondering if you would recommend going for a 32 or a 34 fork. The Enduro kit comes equipped with a FOX 32 150 CTD ADJ 15 and the Race comes with a FOX 34 150 CTD ADJ 15.

Does the 34 add significant stiffness over the 32? What would be the weight increase?

Thanks!
    34 is the way to go!

26 for life.
    + another for the Pike.

I didn't realise how carp the 32 was until I got the Pike.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

undercover brother
    What in the hell is on your frame? You skin a leopard? That ehite pike fits the rest of that bike perfectly btw..

26 for life.
    Close. I took a close up photo of my Bell helmet & got it printed on vinyl.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks again...How would you compare the SB66c against the Lapierre Zesty 514?

I think the Zesty is more trail oriented and the SB66c more AM.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Buy a rockshox pike..
    +1, you really can't go wrong w/ the Pike. I like every thing about it especially when compared with the Fox equiv.

LCW
    mtbr member
    OP - honestly, get a Fox 36 (float or talas) and call it a day. The RC2 damper and more linear air spring, with the larger stanchions make it super plush, but also hold itself in the stroke, and capable of big hits. 20mm axle - super stiff. Not all that much heavier than a 34.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    OP - honestly, get a Fox 36 (float or talas) and call it a day. The RC2 damper and more linear air spring, with the larger stanchions make it super plush, but also hold itself in the stroke, and capable of big hits. 20mm axle - super stiff. Not all that much heavier than a 34.
    I agree, get a 36. I got it in mine and the difference in weight worths it

rider
    Sep 2013
    Agreed times 3, go for the 36 float 160mm. It's that simple. It made a huge difference in the overall feel of my 66 when i got it.
    What do you guys think about the 36 float 180mm on the 66? Jared Graves seemed fine going downhill, but do you think it would work for AM as well? I just ask because the OP said that he likes going DH and I was kinda curious...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 34 on my Dixon and it's holding up well. I would pass on the 36 though unless you're taking the Yeti to a park. The 34 seems to get the job done without leaving me wishing for a bigger fork.

I've heard good things about the Pike but no time on one. Let know how the Pike treats you if decide on that.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i just picked up my 66c with a X fusion Slant set at 160mm. I also have a 36 160 RC2 float and I plan on swapping back and forth to see what I prefer...

I will post my input...