mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Yeti ASR5 v SC Blur TRC as short travel AM/Trail bike

ok, like most people here i generally have a few bikes
    however, i've been cutting down the stable and now, for the first time in over 10 years i only have one bike, a Mojo HD, which is awesome by the way

I run the Mojo in 160 mode most of the time but occasionally run it in 140, just fitted an angleset which has improved an already fantastic bike
    so, i'm thinking of getting a second bike, which is a bit more on the trail/longer rides end of the scale
    i DON'T want a XC race bike, i like the slack angles and lowish bb with a long wb

i've got the short list down to Santa Cruz Blur TRC or a Yeti ASR5, both have similar geo, head angles around the 68/67 depending on fork, lowish bb's, reasonably long wheelbase

the ali/carbon Yeti is cheaper and a more simple design, the SC is using VPP which gives a plusher ride in my experience
    (i used to have a Blur 4X, which was the best handling bike i've ever had, just too short in the tt for longer rides)

even though i'm technically down to only 1 bike in the stable, i have a full build kit ready to go onto a frame, Revelations, EX1750's, X9/X0, Thomson, etc
    either of the mentioned frames should build into a 5" travel, 12kg bike with the kit i have

any views? thanks in advance
    A

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a 2010 Yeti asr 5... I really like the bike for a xc/trail bike its perfect! I have raced it, jumped it, and been on 6hr all day excutions on this bike. Honestly, its climbes really good sitting down, on steep climbes standing up the back tire looses traction, but this is easly overlooked by the numorios other strengths the bike has. Handles very well going fast on techy stuff as well as smooth stuff. I honestly cant complain about my decision. i too was torn between a Blur and a Asr 5. I went with the Yeti as its a unique bike here in eastern Pa and Blurs are everywere. Just added the sb-66 to my coral too. I got issues Race bike/ Trail bike/ All Mountain bike....lol

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    Older post but I'm in the same boat... I've narrowed it down to these two bikes.. I love both these bikes, is one really better than the other? Should I just go with what bike I think looks the best?

nero
    I have a 2012 ASR-5 and i am very, very impressed with it. It just plain rips.... most fun I have had on a bike ever.

mtbr member
    Ride em both! Single pivot and mini link designs like VPP tend to have very different feels. I like the predictability and feel of the single pivot (with the right geo), but I'm looking at adding a TrC to my stable as well. Considering the SPX build comes in at just over 25lb for a stock build, that's pretty damn sweet. Although it sucks SC doesn't offer a Fox 34 since this is supposed to be a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Although it sucks SC doesn't offer a Fox 34 since this is supposed to be a trail bike.
    I think if you're wanting the 34 then they want to sell you an LTC, this is supposed to be the super-lightweight ripper. Maybe a 20mm Rev or Lefty for a suitable substitute? Medium travel but lot's of strength.

IIRC SC list the max fork travel as 130mm, is the 34 available in 130mm or would it be a spacers fitting job?

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    I like the way both ride, but I guess my concern is with the TRC having the newer VPP platform and the ARC 5 having Yeti's older technology compared to the Switch Tech, I'll be getting an outdated bike. Should I just wait until Switch Tech is offered in a Yeti 5 inch light frame? I've always wanted a Yeti but I also don't want a bike that's hard to resale in a couple of years because of outdated technology. Should this be a concern?

mtbr member
    If it was my choice I would go with a TRc. Santa Cruz specifically said it was designed to replace the Blur 4x while also being an amazing trail bike.

This may help your decision, A TRc at Whistler:
    Whistler, Dirt Merchant - A-Line - GX - YouTube
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    I think if you're wanting the 34 then they want to sell you an LTC, this is supposed to be the super-lightweight ripper. Maybe a 20mm Rev or Lefty for a suitable substitute? Medium travel but lot's of strength.

IIRC SC list the max fork travel as 130mm, is the 34 available in 130mm or would it be a spacers fitting job?
    I'd run a 34 at 140mm. I believe the Fox Float 32 that it comes with can also be extended to 140mm by removing one of the spacers. I'm not a 140lb lightweight that finesses over the rough stuff. Even though the bike is billed as a lightweight ripper, it would be nice to have a burlier fork that tracks that much better. I'm waiting for the Xfusion slant to be released, which I think weighs in at 4.2 lb for the 160mm version, comparable quality and 2/3 the price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by utley06 View Post
    I like the way both ride, but I guess my concern is with the TRC having the newer VPP platform and the ARC 5 having Yeti's older technology compared to the Switch Tech, I'll be getting an outdated bike. Should I just wait until Switch Tech is offered in a Yeti 5 inch light frame? I've always wanted a Yeti but I also don't want a bike that's hard to resale in a couple of years because of outdated technology. Should this be a concern?
    Sounds like you're buying into marketing hoopla. New doesn't always equal better, and in fact, I think a lot of these new designs aren't tuned and refined like those that have been around for a while longer (VPP, horst link, faux bar, etc).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry to hijack, but can anybody compare these two, especially the TRc to the Transition
    Bandit in terms of feel and handling?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I've always wanted a Yeti but I also don't want a bike that's hard to resale in a couple of years because of outdated technology.
    Nope, stop listening to the advertising guy.

VPP is a product of the nineties, plus I've never seen a Yeti that was hard to sell (barring wrecks of course).

locked - time out
    Mar 2012

My brain hurts

Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Sounds like you're buying into marketing hoopla. New doesn't always equal better, and in fact, I think a lot of these new designs aren't tuned and refined like those that have been around for a while longer (VPP, horst link, faux bar, etc).
    All I know is that I've never been this stressed/lost over a purchase before. I demo'ed an Ibis SL R and a SB66 C, one after the other and I don't think that the Switch Tech is marketing hoopla. That is one sweet design! Its too big of a bike for what I'm wanting to use it for though.

The TRC and ASR 5c is more suited for what I'm trying to accomplish but I can wait for an SB65 C if Yeti plans on creating such a bike in the near future.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You can do this with the TRc and make it even better. Not sure about the Yeti

650b Mountain Bike with the Blur TRc | Mountain Bike Review
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

locked - time out
    Mar 2012

Wanted a yeti but getting the santa Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    You can do this with the TRc and make it even better. Not sure about the Yeti

650b Mountain Bike with the Blur TRc | Mountain Bike Review
    Ive been skitzing out online for days and everything is pointing towards the Santa Cruz TRc. SC has an updated vpp suspension and Yeti has had carbon issues with the rear triangle. Wanted a yeti 9 yrs ago when I first started mountain biking. Huge let down! Oh well, Santa Cruz is a sweet bike too.

mtbr member
    i havent tried either but ive looked into both, the trc seems more like a trail bike (does everything well, nothing perfect) and the asr5 seems like it would be faster and more "raceable".

again, this is all from what ive read online and in magazines, no personal experience.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not to confuse you more utley06, but... 1) don't let a few posts on MTBR give you a sense there is a "carbon problem" with the 5C - I've ridden mine hard for 2 years - multiple crashes (rocks, trees, you name it), and I'm a little over 200lbs - no problems. It's a stout bike. 2) the single pivot on the Yeti is surprisingly good - this was an issue for me, I was leaning toward a dw link. The suspension is impressive, only criticism I have (and this isn't a huge problem), on technical climbs it can get "hung up" on roots etc. But if you are looking for a plush ride, this isn't it. Just thought I'd address these points since they seem to be influencing your decision. Either way, they're both great bikes which will be a hoot to ride.

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    Thanks Chunky lover but today I've convinced my self that I'm 100% sure the TRc is the right bike. I rode the crap out of these two today and the TRc suspension felt better, it fits me better, the 650b conversion possibilities is a big plus, and after a couple more looks, I think its a pretty sexy looking bike. I appreciate everyones help!!

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Thanks Chunky lover but today I've convinced my self that I'm 100% sure the TRc is the right bike. I rode the crap out of these two today and the TRc suspension felt better, it fits me better, the 650b conversion possibilities is a big plus, and after a couple more looks, I think its a pretty sexy looking bike. I appreciate everyones help!!
    Sorry for resurrecting (again) the old thread.
    Utley, After couple of months on your TRc how is your take ? Any chance to get comparison with ASR5?
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I was in the same dilemma.
    I couldn't decide between the SZ Blur LT2, Yeti ASR 5, or Rocky Moutnain MSL.

Coming up from a hardtail was my main factor, and the trails on North Carolina.
    It was too hard to resist the ASR-5 alloy closeouts. Hopefully i made the right choice by buying the Yeti ASR-5. The slate frame gets here Friday!

I'll be building it up w/ a 120 CTD Fox fork & XT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ive been skitzing out online for days and everything is pointing towards the Santa Cruz TRc. SC has an updated vpp suspension and Yeti has had carbon issues with the rear triangle. Wanted a yeti 9 yrs ago when I first started mountain biking. Huge let down! Oh well, Santa Cruz is a sweet bike too.
    It might be a sweet bike, but VPP has a lot of pedal feedback built into the design