Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Yeti ASR5 v SC Blur TRC as short travel AM/Trail bike

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  le_buzz 
#1 ·
ok, like most people here i generally have a few bikes
however, i've been cutting down the stable and now, for the first time in over 10 years i only have one bike, a Mojo HD, which is awesome by the way

I run the Mojo in 160 mode most of the time but occasionally run it in 140, just fitted an angleset which has improved an already fantastic bike
so, i'm thinking of getting a second bike, which is a bit more on the trail/longer rides end of the scale
i DON'T want a XC race bike, i like the slack angles and lowish bb with a long wb

i've got the short list down to Santa Cruz Blur TRC or a Yeti ASR5, both have similar geo, head angles around the 68/67 depending on fork, lowish bb's, reasonably long wheelbase

the ali/carbon Yeti is cheaper and a more simple design, the SC is using VPP which gives a plusher ride in my experience
(i used to have a Blur 4X, which was the best handling bike i've ever had, just too short in the tt for longer rides)

even though i'm technically down to only 1 bike in the stable, i have a full build kit ready to go onto a frame, Revelations, EX1750's, X9/X0, Thomson, etc
either of the mentioned frames should build into a 5" travel, 12kg bike with the kit i have

any views? thanks in advance
A

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 2010 Yeti asr 5... I really like the bike for a xc/trail bike its perfect! I have raced it, jumped it, and been on 6hr all day excutions on this bike. Honestly, its climbes really good sitting down, on steep climbes standing up the back tire looses traction, but this is easly overlooked by the numorios other strengths the bike has. Handles very well going fast on techy stuff as well as smooth stuff. I honestly cant complain about my decision. i too was torn between a Blur and a Asr 5. I went with the Yeti as its a unique bike here in eastern Pa and Blurs are everywere. Just added the sb-66 to my coral too. I got issues Race bike/ Trail bike/ All Mountain bike....lol

#5 ·
Ride em both! Single pivot and mini link designs like VPP tend to have very different feels. I like the predictability and feel of the single pivot (with the right geo), but I'm looking at adding a TrC to my stable as well. Considering the SPX build comes in at just over 25lb for a stock build, that's pretty damn sweet. Although it sucks SC doesn't offer a Fox 34 since this is supposed to be a trail bike.

#6 ·
Although it sucks SC doesn't offer a Fox 34 since this is supposed to be a trail bike.
I think if you're wanting the 34 then they want to sell you an LTC, this is supposed to be the super-lightweight ripper. Maybe a 20mm Rev or Lefty for a suitable substitute? Medium travel but lot's of strength.

IIRC SC list the max fork travel as 130mm, is the 34 available in 130mm or would it be a spacers fitting job?

#7 ·
I like the way both ride, but I guess my concern is with the TRC having the newer VPP platform and the ARC 5 having Yeti's older technology compared to the Switch Tech, I'll be getting an outdated bike. Should I just wait until Switch Tech is offered in a Yeti 5 inch light frame? I've always wanted a Yeti but I also don't want a bike that's hard to resale in a couple of years because of outdated technology. Should this be a concern?

#15 ·
Wanted a yeti but getting the santa Cruz

Ive been skitzing out online for days and everything is pointing towards the Santa Cruz TRc. SC has an updated vpp suspension and Yeti has had carbon issues with the rear triangle. Wanted a yeti 9 yrs ago when I first started mountain biking. Huge let down! Oh well, Santa Cruz is a sweet bike too. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
i havent tried either but ive looked into both, the trc seems more like a trail bike (does everything well, nothing perfect) and the asr5 seems like it would be faster and more "raceable".

again, this is all from what ive read online and in magazines, no personal experience.

#17 ·
Not to confuse you more utley06, but... 1) don't let a few posts on MTBR give you a sense there is a "carbon problem" with the 5C - I've ridden mine hard for 2 years - multiple crashes (rocks, trees, you name it), and I'm a little over 200lbs - no problems. It's a stout bike. 2) the single pivot on the Yeti is surprisingly good - this was an issue for me, I was leaning toward a dw link. The suspension is impressive, only criticism I have (and this isn't a huge problem), on technical climbs it can get "hung up" on roots etc. But if you are looking for a plush ride, this isn't it. Just thought I'd address these points since they seem to be influencing your decision. Either way, they're both great bikes which will be a hoot to ride.

#18 ·
Thanks Chunky lover but today I've convinced my self that I'm 100% sure the TRc is the right bike. I rode the crap out of these two today and the TRc suspension felt better, it fits me better, the 650b conversion possibilities is a big plus, and after a couple more looks, I think its a pretty sexy looking bike. I appreciate everyones help!!

#20 ·
I was in the same dilemma.
I couldn't decide between the SZ Blur LT2, Yeti ASR 5, or Rocky Moutnain MSL.

Coming up from a hardtail was my main factor, and the trails on North Carolina.
It was too hard to resist the ASR-5 alloy closeouts. Hopefully i made the right choice by buying the Yeti ASR-5. The slate frame gets here Friday!

I'll be building it up w/ a 120 CTD Fox fork & XT.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.