mtbr member

New question here. Yeti ASR-7 Replacement Options

I was helping my buddy tear down his Yeti ASR-7 last night when we discovered that the main pivot mount had ovaled out on the seat tube rending his frame worn. 1mm of play at the mount ended up being like a .25" at the rear axle. Its pretty bad. It's kind of stupid for Yeti to have put the mounting hardware right on the frame material and not insert bearings there. Aluminum doesn't do well with that kind of direct contact.

Any how he's probably not going to get any warranty help from Yeti because it will be a wear item and because they don't make the ASR-7 any longer. He has a great build kit and wants to stay in the same category as the Yeti with 6.5-7" of travel that can take a 180mm fork. He also really loves the rising shock leverage rate of the Yeti making it very plush. The bike must climb well because we average around 1800-2300 feet of vertical gain on each ride too.

I passed on ideas of new rides like the but both of these are really expensive:
    Pivot Firebird
    Intense Uzzi

What other bikes would you suggest in this category? Again he's not interested in anything with less than 6.5" of travel and that can't take his 180mm fork. He might be willing to shim his for down to 170mm though.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Just throwing one more equally expensive option out there, 2013 Foes FXR. I just ordered one up and should see it sometime next week so I cant really comment on its climbing ability as of yet. The guys at Foes are terrific to work with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoDane250 View Post
    Just throwing one more equally expensive option out there, 2013 Foes FXR. I just ordered one up and should see it sometime next week so I cant really comment on its climbing ability as of yet. The guys at Foes are terrific to work with.
    Thanks will add it to the list. I am pretty well versed in 150-160mm bikes but sorely lacking in knowledge in the next category up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    -Knolly Delirium
    -Canfield The One
    -Banshee Rune

In order, however, none really shine more than the other, except the Knolly, since I'm on a chilcotin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    -Knolly Delirium
    -Canfield The One
    -Banshee Rune

In order, however, none really shine more than the other, except the Knolly, since I'm on a chilcotin
    Thanks, we have a Knolly dealer in Denver but I'll need to check to see if there's any place to even look at the other two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    Thanks, we have a Knolly dealer in Denver but I'll need to check to see if there's any place to even look at the other two.
    Your (probably) not gonna find a delirium at Salvagetti (I assume thats who your talking about) but try a chili while your there. IMO its the perfect Colorado bike. If u REALLY think you need the extra .5" of travel then I would look elsewhere but here in CO i think a well built 6-6.5" bike is all you need for everything CO has to offer. My 2 cents...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    Your (probably) not gonna find a delirium at Salvagetti (I assume thats who your talking about) but try a chili while your there. IMO its the perfect Colorado bike. If u REALLY think you need the extra .5" of travel then I would look elsewhere but here in CO i think a well built 6-6.5" bike is all you need for everything CO has to offer. My 2 cents...
    I agree with you totally. The bike is not for me but for my buddy. I have a 160mm bike but my buddy is pretty locked into something bigger. I was thinking Salvagetti and found a Banshee dealer in Englewood.

I think if we could get him to ride one of these with a 180mm fork he'd never miss the extra inch in the rear of the Yeti.

brownpow! (?)
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoDane250 View Post
    I'll add a votef for Foes. The new FXR is 6.3-7" adjustable and if it's anything like my '11 FXR (6.5") it'll climb pretty good. Totally jealous you're picking up a '13, I need to save up so I can get that extra .5" of travel . I run mine with a 170mm fork, I dont think these are really intended for any bigger of a fork, but it's plenty for most everything.
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng