Thread: Yeti 7 or Nomad

JRR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Yeti 7 or Nomad

Anyone here had either or both that can compare one against the other as far as trail riding for someone 6,1 255 # . Looking for new bike that will work well with coil shock

usually cranky
    if your just trail riding both bikes are over kill. id look at something like a trance x or spitfire.

perpetual pucker factor
    The Nomad would be my choice of the two, but it is pretty burly for regular trail riding. A Giant Reign is a bit lighter duty but can support you with ease, as well as take a coil shock. The Yeti is a great bike, though. I just like the way floating pivot suspension works, and the Nomad and Reign have got it.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I agree that both of those bikes are over kill
    as a trail bike. For that type of bike I would go
    with the Yeti 575. This is a great bike and can
    be built light, or heavy duty, take your pick.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I definitely wouldn't say these are overkill unless you know what trails he rides and how he rides them. They are perfect trail bikes for my type of riding in Colorado and Utah.

T.W.O.
    What about Ibis Mojo HD, it's 160mm almost similar to Nomad, and AS7 but you can get a limbo chip which allow you do reduce the travel to 140. So as your riding change you can always swap to increase the travel.

Why get only one shock, when you can have 2 twice the price

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider
    I definitely wouldn't say these are overkill unless you know what trails he rides and how he rides them. They are perfect trail bikes for my type of riding in Colorado and Utah.
    very true. but when some says "i ride trails" and just leaves it there i think mostly people will assume fairly buff single and double track.

I'm with stupid
    You could try out a enduro evo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    At 255# i'd say your are a Hoss and neither bike is overkill. Both bikes have very different pedalling personalities and you will need to test ride them. The 7 will have pedal bob but that can be tuned out with the shock. The Nomad will pedal better but will have pedal torque lockout, not a big deal unless you live to do tech climbs.

Right now based on '10 model pricing the 7 at $1099 is pretty compelling.

mtbr member
    After test riding both - Yeti seems like more of a tank. Would be a good thing at your weight.
    Both pedal great - but somewhat different.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm about your size. Look closely at the Yeti - They tend to have high leverage ratios, which will not work with heavier riders. I was looking at Demo'ing a 7 earlier this year, but when the shop guy told me he runs 250-280 lbs in the shock and he weighs 180 I knew this wasn't the bike for me.

If price is a concern look at the Banshee spitfire or Rune. I just picked up a Pivot Firebird and it is awesome. Rolls super fast for a 6.5" bike. In my opinion these are the perfect trailbikes for a bigger dude.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by JRR
    Anyone here had either or both that can compare one against the other as far as trail riding for someone 6,1 255 # . Looking for new bike that will work well with coil shock
    Been on both and don't care for either because they both feel like I'm riding on top of a tall bike (used to like that feeling but don't any more).

JRR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for all the info.Test rode the Rumblefish and was very nice.Going to try an new 575 to see but really liked the Rumblfish

mtbr member
    I ride trails mostly and ride a Nomad,im 6-2 210 and absolutely love it on the trails!If I see a downhill and want to get brave,hell yea!!!!

mtbr member
    Enduro... http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...nuItemId=15153

Bike mag, in i think Jan, reviewed tons of bikes, it said the Enduro climbs like a trail bike yet descends like a freeride bike. the Pro, Expert and Comp has a rider weight rating up to 300lbs too. see page 5...

http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...10_AppA_r2.pdf
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert