mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Yeti 575 vs Titus El Guapo ??

(I just posted this in the FR/DH Forum and was informed there was a AM one so Im re-posting in the correct one).

So I have been given the big thumbs up from my GF to build myself a new bike for my 30th birthday......(Oh yeah shes a keeper)

Im currently looking at a Yeti 575 or a Titus El Guapo...(Frame w.shock only)

The bike will be built to my own spec. I currently have a 36 Telas RC2 fork already that will be used.

I have read many reviews on both bikes and they both seem to have similar ratings although the Yeti seems to be a bit more popular. I can get a decent price on the titus though, which will mean more money for other components and I kind of like the idea of having something different.

I dont have the opertunity to test either bike. Though Im sure I would love both bikes no matter which one I get.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any good/bad experiences that may change my mind.

Mal Ad Osteo
    I've got a 575 and I love it to death, its the alloy version 2008. Awesome bike, super supple suspension(rp23 2010, rockshox revelation uturn air), climbs really well(no bob), no flex on mine(165lbs).

The Guapo was on my list of other bikes but I couldn't find one to ride around here. Although, I've heard VERY good things about them, and there are quite a few reviews comparing the two bikes(check google). From what I remember, the Guapo was geared a little more towards AM, little bit better at DH type stuff(sturdier).

have you looked at Ibis Mojo's at all? That's another possibility for AM bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks. From the look of it the EG may be the better option then if I want it to do some Whistler BP and North Shore duties.....

Im not too sure about the carbon on the Yeti now it has been brought to my attention.

I really want somthing solid for the down hill but able to climb when I ride Squamish XC with my buddies.

mtbr member

Yeti 575

I own a 2009 575 and love it. I have brought it to Killington, Plattekill and Highland bike park. The bike feels stiff and gives confidence on the downhills. I weigh 155lbs and feel that the Yeti is more then confident on any lift service trails. There is carbon on the chainstays but there is no need to worry about it. Just use something to wrap them if you want a little more protection. Carbon can fail if it gets scratched creating a high stress concentration area. If you are scared that it wont be "strong" enough that is a myth. I am an aircraft mechanic and deal with carbon fiber aircraft components daily. I know how strong the material is and bike manufacturers have come along way in using it. Putting a 160mm fork on the 575 gives you a nice slack head angle for going downhill, while still allowing for efficient climbing. I have never ridden an EG so have nothing to compare. Just simply stating that I love my 575!

EDR
    Two relatively different bikes. The 575 being the much lighter, less burley bike that can take an air shock only. Fantastic bike. Probably the better choice if you like to do lots of technical climbing and it holds it own with a stiff 160mm fork on the d/h chunk.

The Titus should be the better choice for riding that leans towards the f/r spectrum. I have not ridden an EG but I came across a guy who got a new one a few months back. It seems much burlier than my 575, it sure weighed a lot more. He payed for it a bit on the way up. My 575, even with a 160mm coil fork is a much more nimble bike. On the way down though I'd have to imaging the Titus is more solid feeling.

Just depends on your intended use, which you mention lift assisted stuff so...........if that is a lot of your riding I'd think about the EG. If you want a bike that kills it for everyday up/down/chunk/xc riding and will only be used occasionally for d/h stuff the Yeti might be the better choice, imo.

EDIT: I see you did not mention lift assisted stuff, sorry. Anyhow the Yeti is more popular b/c it's a bike you can build up light (25-26lbs) or heavier (30-31lbs) but still can be pedaled all day long with no issues. The EG is just more bike, it seems. My 575 is 30+lbs and feels super light on the technical climbs. It's not as stiff and solid as my buddies Enduro when pointed down, I'd have to think the EG feels more like the Enduro, or better. It's all relative anyhow, my bike goes absolutely everywhere my buddies Enduro goes without issue, it's just a bit different.........and it feels much better on the way up

mtbr member
    Both bikes are fairly close in geometry. I am comparing 09 575 with 09 EG.
    The Yeti actually has a slightly slacker head angle with a 160mm fork than an El Guapo.
    The 575 has a slightly shorter wheelbase and a shorter chainstay but a higher BB.
    So in theory the 575 should be maneuverable than the El Guapo but the EG should be more stable at speed.

How much heavier is the EG frame compared to the 575?. Competitive Cyclists lists the 09' EG as "sub 7 lbs.". So they are very close in frame weight. Other than that everything else is the build and the suspension design.

The El Guapo uses a Horst link design and the Yeti is a single pivot. Do you have a preference in designs?

Either bike can be built up light or burly. There will be subtle differences in handling if all other components are the same.
    If you are building up this bike from scratch and weight isn't the utmost concern, I would go with whatever frame you could get cheaper.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Seconding what a lot of people have said... I love my 575. I run it with a 160mm fork and it's pretty much amazing. I ride pretty much everything on it and it kills it on just about everything.

I used to have a superlight xc race bike and a 8'' travel DH rig and I've gotten rid of both because of this bike. With a 160mm fork it is more then capable of riding anything I'm willing to which so far is double blacks at Keystone and up to 10 ft drops to transition. I am pretty light and smooth though, so keep that in mind.

As for the carbon issue... I've bashed mine hard before, never had any issues.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

EDR
    Competitive Cyclists lists the 09' EG as "sub 7 lbs.". So they are very close in frame weight.
    So the EG is a pound heavier, at least as advertised. With a coil shock it's that much more. I think the guy I rode with said his EG was 33-34lbs, and it felt like it when I picked it up.

Geo wise I can see how they would be very similar. My 575 with a 160mm fork is around 67 degrees (HA). It's hard to be any slacker than that for a bike that's intended to ride everywhere.

The EG still seemed like a burlier bike, frame wise.....to me. I wish I would have rode it a bit to get a feel for it compared to my Yeti. Again, if it's a bike you plan to ride everywhere all the time, the Yeti is hard to beat unless you just want a heavier, stiffer bike (not than I can vouch for the EG stiffeness mind you).

mtbr member
    Yeti states the 575 carbon as 5.9lbs.
    And the 575 aluminum/carbon as 6.2lbs

Competitive Cyclist states the El Guapo Ti as 6.25lbs.
    And the Aluminum El Guapo under 7 lbs so say 6.9lbs.

I assume the OP would be comparing the Aluminum versions.

redefined
    Both fine bikes. I would go for a lightly built EG.
    And though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours...I simply am not there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Here's a glowing review of the EG from the North Shore:

http://nsmb.com/3275-review-titus-el-guapo/

Can't comment on either bike but I love my Motolite, little less bike than you're looking for tho.

David B.

Off the back...
    I'm riding a Titus Motolite right now, and I'm leaning toward the El Guapo. I was originally going to get a Yeti 7, but the considerable hype seems to have blown over. I was also looking at an SC Nomad, which has very similar geometry to the EG and is well loved, but EVERYBODY has one. The 575 hadn't really entered my thought processes, as I put it in the same class as the Motolite or the Titus FTM. I had also considered a Knolly DT, but my buddy has one and it's a tank.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So i think I am leaning towards the EG.
    I checked with Jensons and they cant ship Yeti bikes to Canada.....and I cant seem to find a Canadian dealer I can buy from online?
    The EG being a burlier frame sounds like the better option and I can get a decent price on the EG. I think I will just build it up as light as I can when Im picking components.

Both bikes sound very similar apart from the EG being a tad hevier. Although all the reviews i have read still say it still climbs really well.

Im riding a Cove G-Spot at the moment (which I love). So either bikes will climb better then that anyway.

EDR
    You're in Canada? Have you considered an Endorphin? Super, super stiff. Heavier and burlier than a 575. The price tag is high though.

Off the back...
    Yeti 575 online
    Knolly Delerium T online [closer to the OP's desired 6" travel]
    Knolly Endorphin online [5.5" bike]
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    wow D-T is only 2100 canadian there...thats not a bad price at all.

Members who have read this thread: 0