a dad
    Jan 2004

yeti 575 vs intense 6.6

anyone compare these two?? i have been riding the 575 for 3 years now and just thinking about something new...any thoughts?

Thanks!!
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    not really the same type of bike, the 575 can be set up for xc-all mtn, the 6.6 is not really set up for xc, its closer to freeride

Mr.
    mtbr member
    What kind of riding do you do? Do you feel like you're pushing the 575 beyond it's limits on most rides?
    If you can grab a fistfull of belly in your hand, does that mean you're fat?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    good question... i would say i don't push it past its capabilities on most rides, but definately on some.. fortunately i am not a heavy guy so i think that has helped a bit..

i definately prefer to ride technical stuff, the harder the better..love small drops and jumps...

the 575 has been remarkable and not sure if i should get rid of it, but its getting to be that time after 3 years...
    BBZ

Mr.
    mtbr member

I understand

Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    good question... i would say i don't push it past its capabilities on most rides, but definately on some.. fortunately i am not a heavy guy so i think that has helped a bit..

i definately prefer to ride technical stuff, the harder the better..love small drops and jumps...

the 575 has been remarkable and not sure if i should get rid of it, but its getting to be that time after 3 years...
    I just went through the same thing. My rig for the last 3+ years was just fine, rode fine, and had plenty of ride life left in it - but I was ready for a change. Since I justified replacing it, I went gonzo and spent money where I wouldn't feel the need to "upgrade" for a long, long time.

My only advice is if you like the way your 575 treats you on 95% of your rides, then look at bikes in a similar category. The 6.6 is going to be a much bigger bike...the 5.5 would be more in line with the 575, if you're going for Intense.
    If you can grab a fistfull of belly in your hand, does that mean you're fat?

mtbr member
    Why not make some improvements to the 575? You're going to lose a bunch of money swapping, so spend that cash on new stuff. Suspension has come a long way in 3 years.
    RP23 shock - revolutionary! I ride a 2007 575 with one and I'm still astounded by platform damping!
    Try a new fork, new tyres, get the 575 repainted in a wacky colour!

Just roll it......
    My buddies that ride their 575's hard complain about the frame being flexy and 2 of them are looking to sell them. One has a 36 on it and the other has a Pike. They're using them for our "AM" trails which border on "FR" for a lot of poeple. The 6.6 is a more stout frame for sure and will allow you to progress in that area. I disagree that it's not epic worthy. I've got 3 buddies that ride 6.6's as their do-all's and they take them on big rides with lots of climbing.

I'd say the 5.5 is a step towards XC simply due to the angles of that bike. It's definitely a steeper frame. If you were to consider this, I'd say just make some upgrades to the 575 like a rp23 and a 36. That alone, will breathe new life into the bike.

Cheers,
    EB

a dad
    Jan 2004
    thanks for the replies..

i have already done many upgrades on my 575..went with the marz all mtn 1 and keep it at 150mm at all times, got the rp23 last fall... the bike gets beat up for sure, i broke the dogbone thing that connects the shock to the frame once from a drop that was too big (glad that was the only thing that broke)... new wheels last year.. hope to hear from some more of you, specifically anyone that has made the switch...
    BBZ

www.derbyrims.com
    Intense bikes are great looking and well engineered. I've demoed both and prefer the pedaling of the 575 on rough trails, handling is a bit more stable and balanced too. But I'm not a big fan of VPP except for racing. A 6Point would be a better performing rough trail bike progression from the 575 at about the same weight as a 6.6.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The 575 is a trail bike. its not FR or AM, although its tough enough for light AM and FR. its versatile in that it is also a good XC bike as far as trail bikes go.