Beer is my spirit animal

XTR M952 RD Issue

Had difficulty finding anything similar so I figured I'd ask for some help. Working on a Titus Racer-X that was brought in because the chain was jumping in the front rings when the client was climbing. Diagnosed the problem initially as a worn out cassette and chain. The rear derailer is an XTR M952, but the client wanted to save some money so had us install a SRAM PG970 and a 951 chain. After test riding the bike, noticed a vibration/grinding sound coming from the chain/derailer, and found that one of the guide pulleys was having a negative interaction with the chain. We have tried a few different chain/cassette combos on the bike (stuff we had laying around) and everything we try gives us the same vibration/grinding/blegh chain noise. So far the only thing that has gotten rid of the problem is putting the old cassette and chain back on, but obviously that means the client has the exact same problem he did when he brought us the bike. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Start by adding tension to the derailleur pull back spring. i'm not sure if this derailleur has one. if not that, ensure the chain is proper length. might be too long. after that i'd throw on some new pulleys on the derailleur and see how that feels.

ballbuster
    What was wrong with his XTR derailleur? Those things last for frickin' evar, except for the pulleys that can easily be replaced... that is, unless you smack it good on a rock, or it gets pushed into the rear wheel.

When you say grinding noise, is it coming from the rear gearing for sure? Sounds exactly like what happens when you replace a worn chain and don't change out the front chainrings.

And the chain was jumping off the front chainrings? Why didn't you suspect chainring issues? Chain jumping off the chainrings can be bent teeth, warped chainrings.... or it can be poor gear selection. If the rider choses middle or granny ring and smallest cog, then plows the bike through a rock garden at speed, it would not surprise me at all if the chain jumped off the rings. If it's coming off while slowly climbing, I would look for misadjusted front derailleur or bent teeth.