mtbr member
    May 2011

XT trail pedals or Mallet 2?

I would like a new pair of clipless for am/trail riding. I have Shimano 540 now but I would like something that is a little bit more stable like my flats. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I don't have any experience with the Mallet 2's but I will say that I do use the XT Trail pedals and love them. I switch back and forth quite a bit between flats and clipless I I notice the XT Trail pedals do have a bit more of a "platform" than the regular 540 pedals. I think if you really wanted something that was more substantial and "platform-like" you'd be best to go with something like the Shimano DX pedals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have both. I think the main difference is when you have to ride unclipped. The mallets are fine then, the shimano's are just ok.

The feel is different, though. The mallets give you more room for body english before they clip out, if you set the cleats up that way. I think the shimano's clip in easier.

Crank bro pedals are generally junk, though. The mallets will need more maintenance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The DX are not slim enough. Intresting to hear that the Shimanos are easier to clip in. I thought it was the other way around.

Stand back
    Don't believe the naysayers - all CB stuff isn't junk. I've run CB pedals since '02, and the few issues I've had have been from my abuse, and CB took care of each of those instances for free, no questions asked.

I haven't tried the latest Mallets, but mine from '05 are still going strong. I do have a set of new candy's (similar construction) that have been solid. I'd buy another pair.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by haakan View Post
    The DX are not slim enough. Intresting to hear that the Shimanos are easier to clip in. I thought it was the other way around.
    My experience is the shimano's guide the cleat in better, so you put your foot on the pedal and push it forward and click in every time.

The mallets don't always catch if you do that because the wire loops may be turned at the wrong angle. So you put your foot on the pedal, push forward, and it may clip in, or you pull back a little and catch the cleat. Not a big deal.

If you are riding sections unclipped often, the mallets are better for sure, otherwise I like the shimano. Both feel stable on the downhills, but I have different shoes for each, so that doesn't tell you much.

Edit: whoops, I have last year's mallets. I forgot there is a new one out. I assume that the new one rides similar to mine, just with plastic body parts. They are going back to metal on the DH mallet coming out, so that might tell you something.

I had the first gen. mallet's and now the second gen, and there wasn't a significant difference except they added traction pins. They rode the same.
    Last edited by Gilarider; 11-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    Don't believe the naysayers - all CB stuff isn't junk. I've run CB pedals since '02, and the few issues I've had have been from my abuse, and CB took care of each of those instances for free, no questions asked.

I haven't tried the latest Mallets, but mine from '05 are still going strong. I do have a set of new candy's (similar construction) that have been solid. I'd buy another pair.
    I have run their pedals since 02 also, mallets and candys. My problems have been: 2 broken springs, one covered by warranty; very fast cleat wear; and bad bearing seals leading to frequent overhauls and PITA overhauls on the candys and one of the mallet pairs because the dust covers get scratched up, weld to the pedal body, and won't turn until I dremel the things loose. This is what pushed me to buy shimano again.

I used them because my knees were dodgy and I liked the float. I actually like the float in technical riding, too because you can flail around more before you clip out. But they are not as durable as shimano IME, though shimano's can break too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't ride unclipped. If I unclip it's beacause I have to rescue my self from a bad sitaution. I just want a more stable plattform and easier to find then the 540.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by haakan View Post
    clip in/ clip out ease is mostly determined by the shoe. though cb pedals do take a few weeks to get the spring broken in. at first it is stiff but i didnt find it much harder to clip in. just maintain your cb stuff and they will do right by you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The "platforms" of Shimano's SPD flat offerings aren't very useful, you definitely don't get great purchase. That's with the DH offerings, the trails ones look worse. CB cleats wear out way too fast in my experience, but do have decent purchase unclipped.