mtbr member
    Jul 2013

XT M785 to Zee ??

Looking to go from 2x10 to 1x10 on my 2012 Giant Trance X0.

Little confused as to the right Zee crank to get if in fact it is a straight swap.

The trance has an 89.5mm BB width and a BB71 press fit installed.

So do I need the 68/73 or the 83mm version Zee? Or is the Zee a narrower axle compared to my M785 XT double?

Cheers.
    Last edited by nzx0; 07-12-2013 at 03:12 AM.

MTB B'dos
    Uh, you have lots of spare cash hangin around, please send some my way if that's the case - cheers If that's not the case, then just remove the granny ring, install whatever single ring you want in the middle ring position, add a bash and you're all set
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Haha.

Nah I have an XT double not triple currently.

I measured from centre of rear hub to the centre of the 5th cog and its about 46mm. From centre of seat tube to the centre of the larger ring is 56mm. So I figured chainline would be an issue and hence considering the Zee option.

Cheers

mtbr member
    you can use your current cranks. save your $ because chainguides are not cheap, and youll need one

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Even using the likes of a Raceface narrow/wide ring and clutch rear derailleur?...Ive read good things about this combo.

Cheers

mtbr member
    I've read good things about that too but not tried it. I look forward to seeing some long term user reviews on here about that.

MTB B'dos
    Didn't know the 2 and 3 ring cranks were that different in terms of chainline Hum, have to say, absolute dumb as shite by Shimano then. The newer outboard stuff with 50mm chainline is at best, just workable, to make a double run a even wider chainline is assinine.

Quote Originally Posted by nzx0 View Post
    Haha.Nah I have an XT double not triple currently.

I measured from centre of rear hub to the centre of the 5th cog and its about 46mm. From centre of seat tube to the centre of the larger ring is 56mm. So I figured chainline would be an issue and hence considering the Zee option.

Cheers
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The chainline is pretty much the same on a Shimano triple and double (around the 48-50mm mark) as far as I know. The thing is chainline is measured to the middle of the rings (ie between the centre of the two rings on a double and to the middle ring on a triple).

So if you whip off the outer and inner ring from a triple then the ring left should line up pretty well with the centre of the rear cassette. With a double on the other hand the outer ring sits off centre (towards the lower end of the cassette) so to me just removing the small ring will mean a pretty big angle on the chain if using the large rear cog.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    UPDATE: I spoke to a guy at the bike shop and found out where my confusion was re the bottom bracket shell width. The width spec'd on crank compatibility is apparently referring to the use of the bb shell width when using external bottom bracket cups (thread in type). So the width of my BB shell is wider (89.5mm) since the bearings are actually pressed inboard. ie the width to the outside bearing surfaces of a thread bottom bracket is the same as what my bb shell measures.

...just in case anyone else was wondering.

Cheers

usually cranky
    so your not going to a zee crank right? not a good move imo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Was going to yeah. Why's that?

usually cranky
    because you have a crank that is a little lighter and will work fine with a shim. moving to zee is just spending some money needlessly on an inferior product. unless you want to spend money, in which case i'll pm you an address where you can send your old crank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah I was not happy with the 10mm offset chainline and for me putting a 10mm spacer between the ring and crank wasnt an option..not to mention longer bolts.

Cheers.