Cheesiest

Xpost with Tires and Wheels: AM/FR tire

I tried doing a search and didn't come away with any answers, because I'm looking for a specfiic kind of tire. I would like to find a tire that is a true 2.35-2.5" wide with good sidewalls and a square profile that will stand up to some lift-served/shuttle, but mainly be used for dirt jumping and trail riding. I would like to find tires that weigh 800-1000 gms. I finally blew out the sidewall on my motoraptors and have no desire to go back. Most of my riding is on loose, loose-over hardpack, and hardpack trails. Low rolling resistence is a consideration, but not a priority. I don't know if this tire exists, but I'm on the prowl

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways
    I tried doing a search and didn't come away with any answers, because I'm looking for a specfiic kind of tire. I would like to find a tire that is a true 2.35-2.5" wide with good sidewalls and a square profile that will stand up to some lift-served/shuttle, but mainly be used for dirt jumping and trail riding. I would like to find tires that weigh 800-1000 gms. I finally blew out the sidewall on my motoraptors and have no desire to go back. Most of my riding is on loose, loose-over hardpack, and hardpack trails. Low rolling resistence is a consideration, but not a priority. I don't know if this tire exists, but I'm on the prowl

Thanks
    I am pretty much finding out that tires are made for specific use - there is not a do it all tire that does it all well. Your riding style sounds like 75% of my local terrain. I too ran Motoraptors and in retrospect think they are marginal tires @ best. I have a SC Heckler that is my XC/ trail / AM bike, currently running Kenda Cortez 2.4 / 2.2 combo w/ good results. I have a SC Bullit that I use for AM / FR / light DH I run a Kenda folding Blue Groove / Nevegal combo. The Cortez's pedal really well, the BG/ Nevegal hook up really well. Figure out what your primary concern is - traction or rolling resistance.

Formerly DMR For Life
    I'm currently running spec. enduro pro D2 on my bike...which i have been riding a bit of urban...and i've banged my rear tire into curbs a couple of times to the point where i can hear the rim hitting and have yet to pinch flat

the only negative thing i've found with the enduro is that they pack up with mud preety fast...oh and if you do get then get the pro version as it seems to have a tougher side wall than the normal version

DMR

Edit: I'm 210lbs and running them around 10-15psi in them

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways

Thanks
    You would like a Maxxis 2.35 single ply 60 compound Hansventure, It's the only true all around tire I've ever used. This tire hooks up in the loose and rolls well.
    Even if you don't try one on the front, try one on the rear, with the top of the "Y" tread facing towards the rear, where it contacts the ground. They are selling really well around Bootleg which has a variety of terrain.
    The Kenda Blue Groove and Nevegals are good, but wear fast and don't roll as well.
    Later, Eric
    Last edited by Ericmopar; 08-06-2006 at 06:48 PM.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...