Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member

XC vs. AM vs. FR/DH????

Can someone set me straight here? At what point does XC turn into AM and AM turn into FR and then to DH? I can see how this can vary based on opinion, but is there a better way to understand this?

powered by bacon
    XC is what roadies do when they want to ride on dirt. AM is what downhillers do when they cant shuttle or ride the lift. DH is what you do when you have huge hairy balls and love to shred the gnar.

mtbr member
    Nice

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    XC 100mm; AM 140mm; FR 180mm; DH 200mm.

And all the other ranges blur the categories. The other main difference is the weight and durabillity.

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stillerwinter View Post

And all the other ranges blur the categories. The other main difference is the weight and durabillity.
    I don't see many AM rigs with less than 150mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    depends on the rider , what 1 person considers freeriding another might consider AM , it's all just mountain bike riding to me .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stillerwinter View Post

XC 23lb
    AM 30lb
    FR/DH 30lb+

you can make it more confusing and add a trail bike between XC and AM. lets give it 130mm of travel and 27lbs of weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helidave View Post
    XC is what roadies do when they want to ride on dirt. AM is what downhillers do when they cant shuttle or ride the lift. DH is what you do when you have huge hairy balls and love to shred the gnar.
    Wait, wait....let me try....

You are riding XC if you are wearing full spandex, you are riding AM if you have baggy shorts and some sort of proper spandex bike jersey, and you are DHing it if you are wearing baggy shorts and a cotton t-shirt or flannel.

Or, maybe this....

You are riding XC if you are wearing full spandex, you are riding AM if you think knee pads might come in handy, and you are DHing it if nothing short of a full face helmet and knee/elbow pads will save your ass if you crash.

Administrator Administrator
    nvm
    Try this: HTFU

banned
    Nov 2011
    XC is for serious cyclists who only care about climbing and being the fastest period. There are many very technical downhill sections in XC racing. XC bikes are generally lightweight hardtails with 3 to 4 inches of front travel.

AM is more for overall fun. It involves climbing to earn your right to go downhill. AM bikes generally have 5 to 6 inches of front and rear travel, and are made tough for moderate jumps and drops.

Freeride is more gravity oriented. It involves huge jumps, gaps, and cliff drops. Freeride bikes generally have 7 and above inches of front and rear travel.

Downhill is strictly downhill riding as the name states. In downhill races there will be a few jumps but mostly high drops and extremely technical/rocky sections that only long travel bikes can accomplish. Downhill bikes can have 8 to12 inches of front and rear travel, and are the heaviest bikes of all classes.

Out of all classes XC is the most physically demanding and toughest discipline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    I would argue that statement....simply spinning is simply a leg burn and a dull one at that. Maybe you should ride with more of the huge hairy balls and a love to shred the gnar mentioned previously. A true total body workout....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    XC is for serious cyclists who only care about climbing and being the fastest period. There are many very technical downhill sections in XC racing. XC bikes are generally lightweight hardtails with 3 to 4 inches of front travel.

AM is more for overall fun. It involves climbing to earn your right to go downhill. AM bikes generally have 5 to 6 inches of front and rear travel, and are made tough for moderate jumps and drops.

Freeride is more gravity oriented. It involves huge jumps, gaps, and cliff drops. Freeride bikes generally have 7 and above inches of front and rear travel.

Downhill is strictly downhill riding as the name states. In downhill races there will be a few jumps but mostly high drops and extremely technical/rocky sections that only long travel bikes can accomplish. Downhill bikes can have 8 to12 inches of front and rear travel, and are the heaviest bikes of all classes.

I'd agree on all of the above with the exception of the last statement. Its impossible to say which is the "toughest" because it varies greatly from rider to rider. Even physically demanding warrants a similar response, as one rider's definition of physically demanding is different from another's. I came to AM/DH riding from racing XC for years, and I found DH to be much more physically demanding. My body had been used to riding for miles on end-not maneuvering a 40lb monster down a track and trying not to break my ass in the process.

I'm only making the point that one shouldn't be looked at as more or less 'tough'. We're all different.
    *Disclaimer-I've been dealing with an injury for the past month and haven't ridden my bike-I'm bored and looking to argue...Carry on...

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder View Post
    I would argue that statement....simply spinning is simply a leg burn and a dull one at that. Maybe you should ride with more of the huge hairy balls and a love to shred the gnar mentioned previously. A true total body workout....
    Haha!!

If you're getting tired going downhill then you shouldn't even be on a bike.

I know what I'm talking about when it comes to this subject. My main style of riding is XC I train on week days, and I also own a Downhill bike that I ride on the weekends for fun. (A Santa Cruz V-10)

I hardly ever break a sweat when I ride downhill, and be sure that I do shred the trails fast and hard. Of course I'm not that good of a downhiller since I only do it 2 days a week, but my point is that anyone can go downhill if they have their mind set to it and some bravery.

However not anyone can go fast uphill. It takes real physical fitness and strength to be a good XC rider. On top of that most of the time an XC rider will be on a hardtail. You're going to sit there and tell me that riding a hardtail down rock gardens isn't a workout on your body?

8 inches of travel makes a huge difference in the technical sections my friend.

this threads is so full of posturing it makes the jersey shore look like a weekend at camp Wanahawkaloogie.

You pick at a bad forum to ask this in OP. This forum is more splintered as far as what distinguishes AM riding from other genres as the difference between genres itself. The lines between AM/XC/FR are thin depending on who you ask.

Suffice it to say that XC is less jumping and drops, AM is some jumping and drops and FR is more and bigger jumping and drops but depending on who you ask it can also be XC as in World Cup XC racing, AM is red bull and FR is Wade Simmons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Haha!!

I know what I'm talking about when it comes to this subject. My main style of riding is XC I train on week days, and I also own a Downhill bike that I ride on the weekends for fun. (A Santa Cruz V-10)

I hardly ever break a sweat when I ride downhill, and be sure that I do shred the trails fast and hard. Of course I'm not that good of a downhiller since I only do it 2 days a week, but my point is that anyone can go downhill if they have their mind set to it and some bravery.

However not anyone can go fast uphill. It takes real physical fitness and strength to be a good XC rider. On top of that most of the time an XC rider will be on a hardtail. You're going to sit there and tell me that riding a hardtail down rock gardens isn't a workout on your body?

I hear what you're saying and I'm not jumping on the wagon with Thor, but I don't think you can say that one is 'tougher' than the other. Like I said, I come from an XC background too and used to ride 30 hours a week when I was racing, but I still think that Downhilling is harder on my body than XC ever was. Sure, legs would burn, lungs would ache, and my heart would want to pop out of my chest, but many more times I've been sore and stiff after a weekend of riding lifts-more than I ever was from XC.
    'Tough' is in the eye of the beholder. To say one discipline is truly harder than another just ends up in a pissing contest.

mtbr member
    Haha!!

This post is so ignorant I do not know where to begin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    This thread needs a "like" button...

Rookie
    XC: More uphill than downhill
    (Trail: Sort of like XC but with more jumps and downhill)
    AM: Even amount of uphill and downhill
    FR:Balls to the wall crazy lines and throwing 360s in lines
    DH: Bike parks, downhill courses, (as for bikes, slacker and longer wheelbase than a freeride bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike14 View Post
    This thread needs a "like" button...
    There is at the very top
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

Let's Ride!
    I'm new here, but here's how I see it....... XC beat their chest to say they are the best, while AM beat their chest to say they are best, while FreeRide/DH dudes are friggen nuts on the videos, but the ones who aren't beat their chest to say they are the best.......

Get on your bike, if what you like to ride is harder on the bike you have, get one that works better for it......and when you find your bike, and your mountain, then that is your "all mountain" bike........and you can beat your chest that it's the best!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    nvm
    I know you just said never mind.... but I've had this type of response on this forum more than once now and I've only been a member for a week. So I have to say, this questions is more of an opinion question that could be asked a million times over. Especially considering the way sports like this evolve. That's the whole reason I asked it. To be honest, I think it's impossible to truly know where one of these disciplines stops and another starts. Just trying to get some wheels turning here. That's all man. It's just not as simple of a questions as, "...how do I tighten my chain?".

I understand the whole "...use search and read before you comment" frame of mind, but only if the question asked were a tech question or something that's obviously fore straight forward. If I looked up every previous post that mentioned anything close to what I wanted to discuss that asks people opinion on something, then how would I ever be able be able to start my own thread with a subject/hook line that I feel would get more views and responses. Just a thought...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    I'm new here, but here's how I see it....... XC beat their chest to say they are the best, while AM beat their chest to say they are best, while FreeRide/DH dudes are friggen nuts on the videos, but the ones who aren't beat their chest to say they are the best.......

Get on your bike, if what you like to ride is harder on the bike you have, get one that works better for it......and when you find your bike, and your mountain, then that is your "all mountain" bike........and you can beat your chest that it's the best!!
    You win. Lol! That is about as close as I think this question can be answered... but what do I know? My awesome "Rep Power" is only a zero....

mtbr member
    ...funny thing is, nobody's got to beat their friggin chest. Just tell us what you think the different disciplines are to you. That's all. Pissing matches on an online forum.... really? come on...

Quote Originally Posted by Urb-dirt View Post
    I know you just said never mind.... but I've had this type of response on this forum more than once now and I've only been a member for a week. So I have to say, this questions is more of an opinion question that could be asked a million times over. Especially considering the way sports like this evolve. That's the whole reason I asked it. To be honest, I think it's impossible to truly know where one of these disciplines stops and another starts. Just trying to get some wheels turning here. That's all man. It's just not as simple of a questions as, "...how do I tighten my chain?".

I understand the whole "...use search and read before you comment" frame of mind, but only if the question asked were a tech question or something that's obviously fore straight forward. If I looked up every previous post that mentioned anything close to what I wanted to discuss that asks people opinion on something, then how would I ever be able be able to start my own thread with a subject/hook line that I feel would get more views and responses. Just a thought...

that is why i changed my post to read nvm. I posted then hit search and realized there was no coherent results. Not that this will give you any other solution either. The fact of the matter is the lines are subjective based on your location and when you started riding.

Here in arizona almost every trail is an AM trail. Large technical descents and climbs, jumps, drops and alternate big move lines. Yet a lot of people ride XC bikes, they just walk the stuff they don't want to ride.

Since i began mountain biking before the advent of suspension but have ridden everything from XC race FS to FR FS bikes I find myself most comfortable on a rigid bike. However i ride all the big move lines and the trails that those on the 6" dually bikes ride. I have been told that I am not an AM rider because my bike doesn't match the marketing term AM but in my opinion AM is what you ride. All the Mountain. Up down, big lines, fast single track and bumps and jumps. XC is all about Cross Country, trails that sinewy on singletrack are fast, tacky and allow you to maintain an really good heartrate. FR is all about abandoning the trail or the paradigm defined by the word trail and reinterpreting terrain for your riding pleasure. Fall lines, trees, stumps, gaps etc. Riding free of the constraints of a trail.

From your other posts you definitely fit into the AM realm but you are also in the DJ/Street realm. You are most definitely not XC nor is your bike suited for FR, even if your skills are.

Most will disagree with me on this forum regarding the above but that is the beauty of the internet. Opinions from all.

mtbr member
    Haha!! If you're getting tired going downhill then you shouldn't even be on a bike.
    Careful there....spandex is squeezing all the blood into your brain and you're not thinking clearly....

Why are XC geeks all about "training" and "number of days" and "miles" and "average speed"....sounds stressful to worry about. Oh, and a fancy bike doesn't equate to a competent rider....

Try pedaling as you ride downhill instead of coasting....you'll be sure to break a sweat....I thought you XC kids were all about speed and efficiency?

Lame....I pedal a 35 pound 9 speed bike up 3000 foot ascents faster than most of my buddies on XC bikes. And, if you can't finesse a hardtail at speed through rock gardens, well, maybe you haven't been spending enough time riding technical trails....or, maybe you shouldn't be....on....a....bike?

Agreed, but I thought you XC kids were all about speed and efficiency (deja vu)....so why aren't you riding downhill again?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Haha!!

Im not a downhiller but i do a local downhill track every once in a while. your obviously must be doing easier downhill trails, or not competing times with good riders. your riding fast; but fun fast. start riding competitive fast on scary trails with big ass rock drops and double doubles you have to jump. And put up times like the locals who kill it and that is not easy by any means. the **** is like straight up supercross without an engine. in perspective isnt that what you do in xc? try to be the fastest on a given trail. take that logic to the downhill trails against other downhill riders and i bet it is no longer the easiest discipline. unless your a very talented and trained adrenaline junkie its probably a more difficult discipline. the locals i know compete using strava gps app on android, or i phone.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-03-2012 at 10:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    that is why i changed my post to read nvm. I posted then hit search and realized there was no coherent results. Not that this will give you any other solution either. The fact of the matter is the lines are subjective based on your location and when you started riding.

Here in arizona almost every trail is an AM trail. Large technical descents and climbs, jumps, drops and alternate big move lines. Yet a lot of people ride XC bikes, they just walk the stuff they don't want to ride.

Since i began mountain biking before the advent of suspension but have ridden everything from XC race FS to FR FS bikes I find myself most comfortable on a rigid bike. However i ride all the big move lines and the trails that those on the 6" dually bikes ride. I have been told that I am not an AM rider because my bike doesn't match the marketing term AM but in my opinion AM is what you ride. All the Mountain. Up down, big lines, fast single track and bumps and jumps. XC is all about Cross Country, trails that sinewy on singletrack are fast, tacky and allow you to maintain an really good heartrate. FR is all about abandoning the trail or the paradigm defined by the word trail and reinterpreting terrain for your riding pleasure. Fall lines, trees, stumps, gaps etc. Riding free of the constraints of a trail.

From your other posts you definitely fit into the AM realm but you are also in the DJ/Street realm. You are most definitely not XC nor is your bike suited for FR, even if your skills are.

Most will disagree with me on this forum regarding the above but that is the beauty of the internet. Opinions from all.
    Well said! That's right on the money! Now you take the cake on this one! Haha. By the way, as of about 4:30pm today, I bought a knew frame and fork to suit my style of riding in the DJ/street realm and I'm putting my original bike back the way I bought it for more of a AM type sled. I've definitely learned a lot from this forum and it's a good thing, because I probably would have rearranged my face pretty good by the end of the month!

As far as location and what people say they ride, I agree 100%. I posted the XC to FR bike conversion thread in the FR/DH forum, saying I ride a little FR, but then soon realized I don't at all!!! I live in North Texas for god sake!!! There's no North Shore here... (and I don't mean a place that just uses the name, if you know what I mean).

Thanks for the good post man! Very intuitive

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    XC, you drive a hybrid
    AM, you drive something with extra cargo capacity, or a beat to **** tacoma because you're a dirtbagger
    FR/DH you drive this

Ferd F-teenthousand Truck Commercial (high definition) - YouTube

Cause you have 8 balls and a bike that weighs more than a whale
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    The fact of the matter is the lines are subjective based on your location and when you started riding.
    I admit my last post was a db posturing response to an xc geek. This, however, is what it really comes down to, I would agree. XC in the Midwest may not be the same as XC in Moab, etc., and it really just depends on what kind of trails you spend your time riding....it's all relative. Just leave your spandex and gps at home. Ha ha.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by helidave View Post

I laughed at the xc explanation because I'm a roadie riding my mountain bike because my road bike is in the shop. I'm more scared to go downhill on a mountain than 50 mph on the road. Id rather climb than descend. Anyways, carry on. Entertaining thread

mtbr member
    Just leave your spandex and gps at home. Ha ha.
    ...hilarious

banned
    Nov 2011
    Careful there....spandex is squeezing all the blood into your brain and you're not thinking clearly....
    You seem to be really against spandex. Are you afraid that it will expose your camel toe and blubber?

Why are XC geeks all about "training" and "number of days" and "miles" and "average speed"....sounds stressful to worry about. Oh, and a fancy bike doesn't equate to a competent rider....
    You just answered you're own question buddy. XC riders worry about training, number of days, miles etc, TO BE COMPETENT RIDERS.

Try pedaling as you ride downhill instead of coasting....you'll be sure to break a sweat....I thought you XC kids were all about speed and efficiency?
    Exactly what a noob would say. Pedaling actually makes you lose efficiency on downhills most of the time. The only time where I'll pedal going downhill is whenever I am coming up to a climb or a flat area, or if the terrain is not as steep as I would like it to be.

Lame....I pedal a 35 pound 9 speed bike up 3000 foot ascents faster than most of my buddies on XC bikes. And, if you can't finesse a hardtail at speed through rock gardens, well, maybe you haven't been spending enough time riding technical trails....or, maybe you shouldn't be....on....a....bike?
    Who said I can't finesse at speed through rock gardens? I was commenting on how different it is riding a hardtail through a rock garden than riding a downhill bike. The extra travel really smooths everything out on a DH bike to a point where you can plow through just about any line with confidence. I can assure you that my riding consists of VERY technical trails. In some parts I climb through steep rock gardens, yes climb. I'd like to see you do that.

Agreed, but I thought you XC kids were all about speed and efficiency (deja vu)....so why aren't you riding downhill again?
    8 inches of travel is not efficient for XC obviously. And like I said before I do ride downhill, as a hobby.

I see downhill as more of a mental sport. To be a good downhill rider you need to have a strong mentality, good bike handling skills, and definitely some balls. However physical fitness doesn't really come into play in downhill. For example I have seen overweight, and moderately out of shape guys shredding downhill hitting, jumps, drops, sharp corners, you name it. They were definitely very good downhill riders with a lot of skill. However on the first simple, small, climb they had to get off their bikes and walk it up.

I believe I used the word toughness in the wrong context. What I meant was that XC is the toughest class when it comes to physical fitness. Downhill/Freeride is all about balls and mentality. AM is best of both worlds.

Here's a hypothetical example. Take any average Joe off the street, give him a nice DH bike, and tell him you will give him $100,000 if he makes it down Whistler. If he is willing to do it, he will eventually make it down. (Of course he would fall many times in the process.)

Now take any other Average Joe off the street, give him a lightweight XC bike and tell him you will give him $100,000 if he can pedal all the way up the Leadville power lines hill. Even if he was willing to do it, he would NOT be able to complete the challenge unless he was or is a good cyclist.

To sum it up, anyone can go fast downhill on a bike if they have a strong mentality and balls but not everyone can go fast uphill. That is why XC is a discipline that takes much more physical fitness than all the others.

Understand?
    Last edited by Trail Addict; 05-03-2012 at 10:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    to the original post, all mountain to me is what i would call technical trail riding. the kind of stuff a newer or less skilled rider would get of his bike to walk up or down cause he cant figure out how to ride it. because we have to ride up the hill any bike too heavy or slack, ie. in the freeride + suspension category may be burdensome to pedal uphill.

so the marketing powers that be have labeled it all mountain.

in contrast what is labeled a trail bike or 5in bike is a cross between xc and an allmountain bike. it not as competitve light for climbing as xc but is still the most pedal friendly bike that allows you to do some more technical sections with out getting as hung up or beat up as much over the long haul.

as you go from xc to downhill bikes 3 things change. 1. amount of suspension. 2 weight and sturdieness. 3 head tube angle becomes more slack and more suitable to going downhill not up hill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    To sum it up, anyone can go fast downhill on a bike if they have a strong mentality and balls but not everyone can go fast uphill. That is why XC is a discipline that takes much more physical fitness than all the others.

Understand?
    Bullroar. It takes a lot of skill to actually shred downhill, not just ride downhill. Downhill takes a different kind of physical ability. The physical conditioning that is required to pedal inefficiently cause it can make you go faster, pump, rip, etc... is very different from what it takes to ride 20+ miles XC. It's not just about having chest hair and 32 balls. It takes strength (a lot more upper than XC does IMHO), finess, and some balls. You can have the biggest balls ever seen, hell, you could make a porn star feel inadequate, but that won't make up for skill, finesse, and ANEROBIC conditioning.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Here's a hypothetical example. Take any average Joe off the street, give him a nice DH bike, and tell him you will give him $100,000 if he makes it down Whistler. If he is willing to do it, he will eventually make it down. (Of course he would fall many times in the process.)

Now take any other Average Joe off the street, give him a lightweight XC bike and tell him you will give him $100,000 if he can pedal all the way up the Leadville power lines hill. He would NOT be able to do it unless he was or is a decent cyclist.

....yeah, but which would you rather see on YouTube?

mtbr member
    I really don't want to get any more into this pissing match, but what the hell....

Riding fast on a bicycle on non-technical XC trails does not make you a competent rider. The way you are able to handle a bike under various trail conditions is what would define "competent."

I'm fairly certain that if you are not pedaling on your "downhill" trails," you are likely one of the last guys down the mountain....or, at least missing out on the thrill of the downhill. Or, at least not doing something right. Or, are simply scared of going too fast downhill. Not at all sure how pedaling while going downhill would decrease efficiency, unless you were actually trying to pedal "uphill" while traveling "downhill." But that doesn't make any sense, eh?

And finally, I suppose, to challenge a virtual bike forum participant to an uphill, steep, rock garden climb while knowing there is no realistic way of actually proving yourself worthy, likely means you are a poser, who really just sits in front of Pinkbike videos, on your indoor trainer, on your XC bike, in your spandex, munching Clif bars and counting your calories and merely pretending as if you were brave enough to actually pedal anything downhill.

Or, you're just 16 and then i forgive you.

Hell Track
    this thread is hilarious! i'm tougher, no i'm tougher, ridiculous. riding a bike good is hard no matter what style. Down Hill racing is insane, but on the other hand when i get passed by someone on an uphill (road or mountain) as if i was standing still, i'm equally as impressed. Just ride what ever damn bike you want to however you want to.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I too am just about done with this little pissing match.

I already know that I am a faster and stronger rider than you'll ever be on the climbs. That's okay though. You're probably a faster rider than me on the downhills. That doesn't mean anything to me though. I don't ride downhill to be competitive, I ride downhill to have fun. I train in XC to be in top shape and to be the fastest rider I can be on the uphills where overall cycling truly matters in my honest opinion. Bike handling is definitely important and I am good at it too. However pushing your physical fitness past its limits is where all cycling counts.

Try not to call XC riders geeks from now on. A good XC rider will school you in real mountain biking.

Have fun on your bike!

mtbr member
    Oh, I don't ride downhill....I've always thought that was too fast and kinda scary.

I'm more of an all-mountain guy, ya know? which, to answer the original question is a little more than XC and a little less than DH.

Geek. I knew you liked spandex.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I'll just leave these right here.

Perpetual n00b
    Fat biking is where it's at!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    I too am just about done with this little pissing match.

I already know that I am a faster and stronger rider than you'll ever be on the climbs. That's okay though. You're probably a faster rider than me on the downhills. That doesn't mean anything to me though. I don't ride downhill to be competitive, I ride downhill to have fun. I train in XC to be in top shape and to be the fastest rider I can be on the uphills where overall cycling truly matters in my honest opinion. Bike handling is definitely important and I am good at it too. However pushing your physical fitness past its limits is where all cycling counts.

Try not to call XC riders geeks from now on. A good XC rider will school you in real mountain biking.

Have fun on your bike!
    This is comedy gold right here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'll just leave these right here.

good thing those are still photos and not videos. or else we would see how much they're using their brakes down those technical sections. JK bro.

nothing against xc. my best freind is an x triathalete who introduced me to mountainbiking. full props to xc racers but also gotta give respect where some respect is due. when i watch videos of Sam Hill, it looks completley different from anything a guy could do on hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    how to do those guys keep from eating **** with their a$$es so high and their face so low going down sections like that? You would be so much faster droppin that post and getting back. then you could actually use your legs as a suspension

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I really don't want to get any more into this pissing match, but what the hell....

Riding fast on a bicycle on non-technical XC trails does not make you a competent rider. The way you are able to handle a bike under various trail conditions is what would define "competent."

I'm fairly certain that if you are not pedaling on your "downhill" trails," you are likely one of the last guys down the mountain....or, at least missing out on the thrill of the downhill. Or, at least not doing something right. Or, are simply scared of going too fast downhill. Not at all sure how pedaling while going downhill would decrease efficiency, unless you were actually trying to pedal "uphill" while traveling "downhill." But that doesn't make any sense, eh?

And finally, I suppose, to challenge a virtual bike forum participant to an uphill, steep, rock garden climb while knowing there is no realistic way of actually proving yourself worthy, likely means you are a poser, who really just sits in front of Pinkbike videos, on your indoor trainer, on your XC bike, in your spandex, munching Clif bars and counting your calories and merely pretending as if you were brave enough to actually pedal anything downhill.

Or, you're just 16 and then i forgive you.
    sure you have to pedal down sections to keep speed. but if you have to pedal alot then your trails arnt steep enough. just thought i would throw that in there.

mtbr member
    Skipped most of the thread.. so thor is some young kid posturing on the internet? Pretty lame. I guess we all have to grow up eventually, his time will come too.

If you judge other riders, you're pretty much a tool. Im glad to see anyone out there pedaling, on anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i suppose if we have to say whose the fastest on the mountain and you have to ride up to every descent, the xc guy will always win. cause it takes 10 times as long or more to get up the same hill you can ride down. i truly respect both.

mtbr member
    The well rounded rider gets my respect. Plain and simple. Which is something I strive for.

Heart rate monitors. Counting calories. Measuring each others quads. Meh. To each his own I guess. I deal with enough seriousness In my regular life. Why would I want to bring that mentality onto the trail?

I ride because it is fun as hell.

Mountain Biking is cleaning that technical section (up or down) that has been kicking my ass for half of the riding season.

Mountain Biking is the session my buddies and I have on said technical section.

Mountain biking is cleaning that climb.

Mountain biking is cleaning that descent.

Mountain biking is threading that needle faster each time.

Mountain biking is about the real estate in which it takes place.

Mountain biking is about being with friends.

Mountain biking is about is about the solitude of being out on the trail by myself.

Mountain biking is about the mid ride passing of the flask.

Mountain biking is the post ride beer and giant burrito.

Mountain biking is about a lot of things to me.

What mountain biking isn't?

It isn't about attaching labels to myself. Labels are for political parties.

Labels are for people who need/want to belong to something easily defined.

Mountain biking isn't easily defined. Maybe that is why it is so hard for me to explain what I do to my non riding friends/family. And I would like to keep it that way.

Cheers.

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    how to do those guys keep from eating **** with their a$$es so high and their face so low going down sections like that? You would be so much faster droppin that post and getting back. then you could actually use your legs as a suspension
    I always cringe a bit watching the XC WC and seeing them abusing the front brake while putting all their weight on the front, watching the rear wheel rise ....
    Nino Shur.ter though really flies through the rock gardens, he's a bit of an exception

mtbr member
    Haha!!

I watched this vid recently and relised how tired you must be after a ride like that- arms, legs and core would burn. Different to xc type fitness I agree more core than cardio but still damn demanding. I sit somewhere between XC and AM and have never attempted a DH run like this, but Im sure It would destroy me, and nearly as much as if I rode up that killler hill!
    ps watch till the end or skip thru funny stuff!
    non stop snow park dh mtb track - Bike Wanaka
    'keep the mission alive!'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    The well rounded rider gets my respect. Plain and simple. Which is something I strive for.

Heart rate monitors. Counting calories. Measuring each others quads. Meh. To each his own I guess. I deal with enough seriousness In my regular life. Why would I want to bring that mentality onto the trail?

I ride because it is fun as hell.

Mountain Biking is cleaning that technical section (up or down) that has been kicking my ass for half of the riding season.

Mountain Biking is the session my buddies and I have on said technical section.

Mountain biking is cleaning that climb.

Mountain biking is cleaning that descent.

Mountain biking is threading that needle faster each time.

Mountain biking is about the real estate in which it takes place.

Mountain biking is about being with friends.

Mountain biking is about is about the solitude of being out on the trail by myself.

Mountain biking is about the mid ride passing of the flask.

Mountain biking is the post ride beer and giant burrito.

Mountain biking is about a lot of things to me.

What mountain biking isn't?

It isn't about attaching labels to myself. Labels are for political parties.

Labels are for people who need/want to belong to something easily defined.

Mountain biking isn't easily defined. Maybe that is why it is so hard for me to explain what I do to my non riding friends/family. And I would like to keep it that way.

Cheers.
    Hear hear, That is awesome!
    Not sure about the flask tho lol
    'keep the mission alive!'

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast