the goose is loose!

x post: spoke lacing question

i was looking at my wheels, and i noticed something. why, in a 3-cross spoke pattern, on the last cross, why does the spoke from the outside of the flange cross under the spoke from the inside of the flange, causing them to bend around each other? as you can see from the picture, the outside spoke (blue) crosses under the inside spoke (yellow) on the last cross. i would think the outside spoke would go on the outside, so the spokes wouldn't have to bend around each other at that 3rd cross. i did it with one spoke on my old wheelset, and there is a solid 2-3mm between the spokes with the outside spoke on the outside, the inner one on the inside. i've seen this on every wheel i've looked at in detail. anyone care to enlighten me on this?

i posted this in the wheels forum but got no answer....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It:s to keep tension on the spokes, and I:m sure there is alot more to it than meets the eye.

Read Sheldon:s article on wheelbuilding, might find your answer!
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#torsion

the goose is loose!
    ok, i guess that makes sense. it seems like the wheel would be stronger without the spokes bending, but the bend helps keep tension?. i looked at my motorcycle wheel then at the bike wheel and started wondering, so that's where this all came from. looks like it keeps the derailleur safer too.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sheldon Brown told me to do it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    is so as the hub and rim is loaded and unloaded with torque (you pedaling or braking) the spokes press against each other and give each other strength. Thats why you do 3x is so much stronger.

the goose is loose!
    yeah i get it now.