mtbr member
    Jan 2004

X-post: AM Tubeless Tires That Don't Blow Beads?

I must have the worst luck with tires. Blown, right at the bead, two Nevegals (one front, one rear), one Resolution Pro, one Adrenaline Pro, one Captain Control. Stans wont work when beads are blown and neither will radial tire patches. It's at the bead so nothing will seal it at that point. And no, its not a rim issue and I was running appropriate air pressures. I'm running Mavic 819s front/rear. I just ride rocky terrain lots and fast downhill.

I like the thread pattern on many Specialized tires, the Chunder, Captain Control, Eskar. And Specialized dealers are good about honoring warranties. BUT, Spec. just raised their prices sky high! Example, Eskars and Chunders went from $37 to $55 !!!! That's an $18 increase. Outrageous. And they only sell via retail dealers, at retail prices no less. Heck, even one Specialized dealer said he doesn't run the 2bliss tires w/o tubes WTH! Then why even run them at all? No sense there!

Anyhow, enough ranting....

What tubeless tires have worked for you boys w/o blowing up, that aren't $55? I'm looking for AM tires at about 2.1-2.3ish or so. Dont need downhill tires. So, what'cha got?
    We Ride In God's Country!

I'm living the dream!
    I run 819s and blew out a Nevegal once and had a few burps. I switched to Maxxis High Roller LUST a few months ago and have yet to even have one burp on me. I run between 25 - 35 lbs depending on trail conditions. I like the HRs quite a bit more than the nevegals overall. Cornering, to me, is noticably better with the HRs and the rolling resistence seems about the same to me too.

mtbr member
    I'd agree with Ricky D that Maxxis HR's are the default choice but you could also try Schwalbe Fat Alberts or Nobby Nic's although the NN's have quite a light sidewall so perhaps not what you're after. I've run both the Maxxis HRs and Fat Alberts on 819's and personally I prefer the HR's. They seem to offer more control in tighter corners.....IMHO of course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Geax loco lobo tnt up front with a highroller ust in the rear. Only a few rides so far and i'm still playing with the air pressure , proper ust beads and strong sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Michelin Mountain X'Trems in the 2.5" size. Burp less than any other non-DH specific tire I've tried to run tubeless. I've had way better luck with these than the maxxis tires. The Michelin DH line are even better, but about 200g more per tire.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    The Mavic 819 and Maxxis tires were made for each other. I run the 2.35 Ignitor front and have had zero issues ever. I have a Larsen TT in rear which will probably be too XC for what you want however I do have several buddies who run it on their 7 inch travel bikes and swear by it.

You can usually find Maxxis on web and when I find a sale I usually load up. They are pricey when not on sale. I run them here in So Cal and once a month in sharp rock areas of Vegas and never have issues.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sounds like the maxxis HRs are favs here so far. i read about maxxis and mavics being a good match and mated for each other. i especially like the part where PP above said they're okay in sharp rocks and actually go ON SALE sometimes! those specialized tires will never, ever be on sale. damn them!

anyhow, if anyone knows some goods websites to get them pls let me/us know.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch

anyhow, if anyone knows some goods websites to get them pls let me/us know.

www.beyondbikes.com

they have several UST Maxxis on sales right now. I have never purchased through them but they are priced about $10 less than other sites right now. I think they are located in San Diego?
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

Its got what plants crave
    I've burped a Maxxis HR 2.35 UST on a 819 rim before. It was a 3 foot drop into a rutted out lander. Took me down to next to no pressure and I racked my bawlz on the landing. Still, an unusual scenario and have had virtually no problems with Maxxis otherwise.

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    ive asked the same question on the dh forums
    they've suggested maxxis and michelins.

so i say pick between those 2

id preffer the michelins since alot of people on dh forums are running ghetto tubeless, even worst than having both ust rims and tires.

but since i do not have the right rims or ust rims i rather go for something more durable which is michelins over maxxis running ghetto tubeless, these are based on people who does agrressive riding. but if your just gonna do reagular trail riding, i guess the maxxis would be good, or better yet get something UST related tires just to be sure.
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

mtbr member
    Michelins are the best answer to your question. If you have to ride up, get the Mountain X'trems in 2.5" (this is important, the 2.2" version doesn't have as strong a bead or sidewall). If you're shuttling and don't have to ride up much, go with the DH 16 front/DH 24 rear combo.
    USE STAN'S!!!
    I roll ghetto tubeless with the X'trems and DT Swiss FR 6.1's. Best combo I've run so far. I almost never burp a tire. When I do, it's because I landed something really bad, and I only lose a little air/stans, no total deflations or bead separations. I weigh 230lbs + in my riding gear and I go pretty hard, and the Michelins just take it.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Burping - usually results from too low of tire pressure. This is especially exaggerated when using non-UST specific tires which have much softer sidewalls.

The remedy is generally to run more air pressure although there are a few tires out there that I've had problems with, even at very high pressure. One in particular is the Kenda Blue Groove, couldn't get it to stay on an ex823 rim no matter the pressure. But, for the most part, if you take your pressures up, the tires will stay put.

For AM use, I run Maxxis ADvantage 2.4 at 35psi or greater, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 at 35 psi or greater, Intense 2.5 909/DH combo, single ply at 33 psi or greater. All seem to stay put on DT 5.1 and ex823 rims. I've not used 819's recently.

I have zero issues with tire burping. Not on 10'-15' drops, not on 25 mph corners, not in rock gardens, not on 30' gaps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Help me out. What is "ghetto tubeless"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Err

I have zero issues with tire burping. Not on 10'-15' drops, not on 25 mph corners, not in rock gardens, not on 30' gaps.

You = much smoother than me!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    You = much smoother than me!

I should clarify that when I'm going big, I don't really consider that AM riding, and I switch over to dual-ply tires. Currently using Intense FRO Lite 909/DH combo. They are dual ply at 1250g, non-UST tires on ex823 rims with Stans. The single ply version of these that I use for AM riding some are 1000g and hold up to some pretty serious abuse too.

I have taken some pretty big/fast lines on the 2.4 ADvantages with no issues. But the ADvantages in particular have paper thin side walls so I have to run a minimum of 35 psi to keep them from squirming.

Maxxis, Intense, Schwalbe all make tires with beads that seem to work well with UST conversions once you get your pressures set correctly. I've not personally used Miche's but everyone I know who has used them tubeless has had good results.

Oh - Getto Tubeless refers to any tubeless setup that does not use a tubless specifi rim with a tubeless specific tire. Common getto setups include using a 20" tube as a liner on a non-tubeless rim (such as a DT 6.1) in combination with a non-UST tire with Stans sealant added to make the whole setup seal up nicely.