mtbr member
    Mar 2011

X-Fusion Vengeance Creaking!!!

Just picked up a 2011 X-Fusion Vengeance fork (160mm) from a friend of a friend and absolutely love it. Light, stiff, and smooth as any fork I've ever used.
    The only issue I have is that it's creaking like mad! Seems to be coming from the crown area. I talked to a friend who was a sponsored rider for the company last year and he said he had the same issue with most of the forks he'd gotten with them.
    My question is, have any of you that use their forks had a similar experience? And if so, what did you do to remedy the situation? I'd imagine I'll have to send it in to be serviced, but I'd rather just give it back to the guy I got it from if the creaking is always going to be an issue.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

mtbr member
    While mine doesn't creak, I have heard of the symptom on a couple of the HLR's here (and on the fox's too fwiw). You can talk to John at XFusion and get his take, though I'd bet he'll tell you its fine and you can ride on it. The other option is to get some of the green loctite (680) and apply it to the crown/stancheon interface. If you apply it to the fork while upside down, it'll seep down into the interface and take up the play in the press fit.

Note: I haven't personally done this but it seems like the most successful method of eliminating the creak. YMMV (though hopefully not).

www.derbyrims.com
    While visiting the X-Fusion booth at the Sea Otter Classic this year, one of the reps told me my Vengeance had the creek. I hadn't noticed it, and it may be the coil. He said if I sent it in they would fix for free.

Also he gave me a recipe to do it myself how they fix it. First clean the area where the stanchions press fit into the crown, then with the fork up side down apply Loctite Primer 7649 around the pressed in tubes to crown, then use Loctite 638, and leave the fork upside down for 12 hours or more.

I just looked up these items, pretty expensive for just one use. Sending it in would just be the shipping cost to get to x-fusion, and time. I think I'll send mine in during the rainy season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hey i need a little help. I have an x-fusion vengeance coil R, which has the creek. I read derby's post about how it is repaired. Found the LOCTITE 638, but not the Loctite primer 7649 and decided to go for it nevertheless. I cleaned the area and spread a layer of loctite 638 around the stanchions, where they meet with the crown. It looked like everything is fine, but its been 30 hours now and it shows almost no signs of curing. Is it possible that it wouldn't harden without the Loctite Primer 7649??? That would suck.
    It looks like that now:
    X-Fusion Vengeance Creaking!!!-xfusion-loctite.jpg
    Would appreciate any oppinions. Thanks

mtbr member
    It is cured in the anaerobic environment that exists in the gap between the parts. Don't worry about the primer or the material on the outside.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the reply. So you mean now after 2 days have passed, i can just clean whats on the outside supposing it has cured where it needs to? It is really sticky, like honey, but if I turn the fork around it will probably flow down the stanchions.

mtbr member
    Yeah, just clean up the excess, the loctite that wicked into the gap will be set by now and won't run down.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    mine is a HLR coil and the coil keeps making noise under compression. Any way to fix this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I cleaned up the excess and tested the fork today, but unfortunately the creaking is still there. It is not the same like before, but maybe 20% better, or it is just my imagination. Anyway i had no luck with this solution and now even if i find the primer, I don't know if it would work after my first try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    mine is a HLR coil and the coil keeps making noise under compression. Any way to fix this?
    Take out the coil and see if you have those "wraps" on the spring.

X-Fusion Vengeance Creaking!!!-1240610_665031680174244_151840121_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just tried the primer and 638, doesn't work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I bought a brand new Slant a few months back with the same issue. I sent it back to the distributor who returned it to me having tried the loctite fix. It didn't work. In the end I decided I couldn't / shouldn't have to live with a fork that creaked every time I applied the front brake and so I got a refund and bought a Pike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my 2014 Pike began creaking within three months of use. This was the fork I tried the loctite treatment on. Creaking is just going to be a fact of single crown forks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for f*cking up my happiness :-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been abusing a 13 Vengeance 170mm coil for about 10 months, no creaks awesome fork! My old 2011 Fox 160 Float creaked like a mofo, what I did was turn it upside down and soak in a little sewing machine oil(or any very thin oil) along the press fit. Kept it quiet for a few months, then reapply. I don't think there is any chance of separation with oil, because I did this for a year and plenty of big drops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my 2014 Pike began creaking within three months of use. This was the fork I tried the loctite treatment on. Creaking is just going to be a fact of single crown forks.
    So your saying all single crown forks creak? Or what are you saying?