mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Wrist Protection

Any recommendations on good wrist protection? I fractured my wrist in a crash two weeks ago. I was wearing full finger gloves wih some pads but from the accident I think I'll need something better. TIA.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by roypk
    Any recommendations on good wrist protection? I fractured my wrist in a crash two weeks ago. I was wearing full finger gloves wih some pads but from the accident I think I'll need something better. TIA.
    I've used the EVS wrist guards and been happy with them. They offer a lot of extra support to keep your wrists from hyper extending but don't really interfere with riding. It is kinda annoying to need to remove the guards every time you take your gloves off though (unless you ride with gloves that have really short wrists).

Unshaven Yak
    I use the standard EVS wristguards too with the velcro strap. Works for me but I have a friend who uses full on rollerblade hand guards after fracturing whatever bone it is the thumb plugs into. He's been happy with that for the DH and doesn't bother with climbing anymore so I guess that's that.
    If you can, get one. You can bild it up to be a kinda lite trail slaying,dirt surfin, 40 mile ride single track super mama. this bike is the cutting edge of the sport. "spred the groove".

Transition Blindside v5

"for crashes" vs "for tendonitis"

For preventing wrist injuries from crashes, there are Rollerblade-like stuff from 661.

http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.asp...5F5D26&pl=BIKE

As different wrist injuries, my friend and I seem to have developped tendonitis from just "riding" (pulling up, jumping, landing, bunny-hopping, etc), without direct impacts from crashes. I think it's ever since we switched to platform pedals from clipless setup over a year ago.

For extra wrist-support, so far I've been using some stuff from drugstores (ie. ACE or Futuro products). They work well together with gloves & arm pads for the most part, but they sometimes start to slide/move around with sweat & lots of wrist movements on a long ride.

So I'm thinking about trying these support-bulit-in gloves (kinda like old-school weight-lifting gloves)...

Anyone using these Fox Static Wrist Wrap gloves to provide any feedback on them, please?

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 05-26-2006 at 08:17 AM.

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu

Anyone using these Fox Static Wrist Wrap gloves? Any feedback on 'em?

Cheers,
    - PiroChu

i've got a pair of those Fox Statics...they're good for preventing injuries; initially i found that they make my wrist go stiff after throwing the bike around for over an hour, but now they don't bother me at all. I don't normally wear them, but they're awesome in wipeouts. if you get them you'll find that they can be worn very tight and that in itself can lead to injury...so i run them pretty loose. honestly i would rather have a glove that has just a slip-on 'wristband' at the wrist attached to the glove.

i wouldn't reccomend this or wear this if i sprained a wrist...and i think the glove part runs a bit small, strangely...the other fox's i've had run larger.
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Team BikeWood

Check out Bioskin..

I crashed a couple months ago and sprained my wrist pretty bad. After trying lots of different wrist supports I found one at www.bioskin.com that has worked really well. It's light, supportive and the material is thin enough to fit under a regular pair of gloves.

http://www.bioskin.com/MN.asp?pg=wrists

trail "cleaner"

tape up the wrist with Athletic tape

Just like the guys do in football, baseball etc.... I've got bad carpel tunnel syndrome and taping my wrists before rides really helps in reducing the pain, plus I've had a couple of crashes where the taping of the wrists prevented injury to my wrists. Cheap and effective.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're hurting your wrists crashing, it's time to learn to crash without hurting your wrists. Tuck n roll. Sticking your arms out to catch yourself will only break your wrists/arms. Skaters learn this very quickly.

I have two pairs of the Fox Static wrist-wrap gloves. Love them for long abusive rides (Whistler, hucking, and all-day dirt bike riding). Keeps the tendons where they belong and keeps 'em warm and happy. Been running them for years, but not for general uphill riding.

Another option is horse wrap from the tack-n-feed store. Sort of a sticky disposable Ace bandage - has more give than athletic tape - great for supporting an injured wrist without wearing one of those casts.

I've got the Fox gloves now for several months. Had developed a bit of tendonitis in the left wrist and I just wanted some extra support on the bike which they're pretty good at helping out with. Unfortunately they didn't prevent me from injuring my right wrist. I'm not riding for a bit as it seems I've fractured one of the small wrist bones according to the doc I saw the other day. The xrays were inconclusive, but I don't want to pay for an MRI study he recommended; doc's pretty sure from where I've got pain/discomfort and an indistinct line on the xray that I've broken a small bone I don't remember the name of. It was a silly sort of endo, I even got up laughing it was so funny...at the time. So I'll be taking it easy for a bit....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

ride hard take risks
    EVS WB01 wrist braces are awsome!!! Been using them for 5 years.

http://www.evs-sports.com/products/?prodCategory=8

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    If you're hurting your wrists crashing, it's time to learn to crash without hurting your wrists. Tuck n roll. Sticking your arms out to catch yourself will only break your wrists/arms. Skaters learn this very quickly.
    I didn't have time to do anything except lifting my arms up to protect my face from whatever I was flying into.