mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Wrist computers?

Hey,

I'm looking for a wireless MTB computer that transmits speed and distance to a watch design. I definately don't want any heartrate stuff. Does anyone make such a design? The closest I can think of is a GPS watch, but that would be tricky to use (as it is always recording data, not just when on a bike)

Thanks,
    Cam
    After The Gold Rush

mtbr member
    May 2006

Get a Garmin

Just rode this weekend with a teammate who was showing off his new Garmin GPS wrist receiver. Incredibly accurate and easy to use. You don't need to worry about it recording data all the time and throwing off your total distance. Just don't turn it on until you're ready to ride or reset it at the trailhead. It really is simple to use for tracking mileage and speed, although some of the other features require a couple hours with the owner's manual! Don't know the model number, sorry. I ride three different bikes (road/Full Susp/Single Speed) and rather than have computers on each I ride with a Garmin Forerunner 301. Again, simple if all you want to know is how fast and far you're going...but it's a bit big to wear on your wrist. What's cool is that all the Garmin units let you sync up to a computer which lets you see some cool info about your ride after the fact like an elevation profile, altitude gain, etc.

Hi!!!
    I use the Forerunner 201 on my singlespeed and all I do is just use a piece of foam tubing and just wrap it around the handlebars and then snug up the Forerunner on that. Works great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tolleyinpgh
    Just rode this weekend with a teammate who was showing off his new Garmin GPS wrist receiver. Incredibly accurate and easy to use. You don't need to worry about it recording data all the time and throwing off your total distance. Just don't turn it on until you're ready to ride or reset it at the trailhead. It really is simple to use for tracking mileage and speed, although some of the other features require a couple hours with the owner's manual! Don't know the model number, sorry. I ride three different bikes (road/Full Susp/Single Speed) and rather than have computers on each I ride with a Garmin Forerunner 301. Again, simple if all you want to know is how fast and far you're going...but it's a bit big to wear on your wrist. What's cool is that all the Garmin units let you sync up to a computer which lets you see some cool info about your ride after the fact like an elevation profile, altitude gain, etc.
    I believe you're talking about the new Garmin Forerunner 305. I plan to get one of those.
    Did your friend say anything about how comfortable it is? Being so bulky I'm worried it might not allow me to move my wrist as freely as I wanted.

Any info would be gratly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.