Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    The fact that Cedric knew he'd hit his artery is what saved his life I'd imagine. He was aware that he needed to get pressure applied asap, and it saved his life. I get the feeling most of us would likely bleed to death before we were aware of what was going on. Scary thought.
    Good to see he made a full recovery.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

Formerly of Kent
    This is why I keep a tourniquet taped to the shoulder strap of my backpack when riding my AM bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Scary ... just another reason to carry first aid kit materials and ride with others. Also a reminder to keep those bars capped. Lucky that he is still alive.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    This is why I keep a tourniquet taped to the shoulder strap of my backpack when riding my AM bike.
    This is the other reason I carry extra tubes in my pack.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    So what caused the injury? Running open ended grips on the bar? What difference would the little ODI end cap really make?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    So what caused the injury? Running open ended grips on the bar? What difference would the little ODI end cap really make?
    dull/blunt plastic vs. dull/kinda sharp metal...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    A huge difference lol.... think about it...

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    I'll spare you the gory details, but I've seen scenarios where I sure as hell wouldn't trust an inner tube. Like, we went through 15-20 tourniquets sort of bad. My medic and platoon sergeant had/have nightmares sort of bad.

Please believe me when I say that a tube is VERY poor substitute for a proper tourniquet. If you live in an area with sharp rocks or lots of pine trees with broken off lower branches near the trail, do yourself a favor and find the real thing.

Look up Combat Application Tourniquet. Worth your $30.

squish, squish in da fish
    Running open ended grips on the bar? What difference would the little ODI end cap really make?
    REALLY? hmmm, lets think about this, a thin walled open ended pipe vs a capped pipe. maybe you should put down the crack pipe? LOL

man, i'm so glad he made a full recovery and he was with people that could help also. keeping calm is definitely key

mtbr member
    I'll spare you the gory details, but I've seen scenarios where I sure as hell wouldn't trust an inner tube. Like, we went through 15-20 tourniquets sort of bad. My medic and platoon sergeant had/have nightmares sort of bad.

Please believe me when I say that a tube is VERY poor substitute for a proper tourniquet. If you live in an area with sharp rocks or lots of pine trees with broken off lower branches near the trail, do yourself a favor and find the real thing.

Look up Combat Application Tourniquet. Worth your $30.
    So are you like missing every limb?
    A properly used tourniquet causes dead tissue and would have been extremely difficult to use in the instance of this accident.
    But yes. Lesson learned. I need to start carrying a proper first aid kit (although I don't ride AM, I just click through for the awe of AM riders).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    A rubber inner tube vs a 170 lbs + guy putting his knee on the spot for pressure? Inner tube would be a mega fail!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Formerly of Kent
    A bus hit an IED, 50m from my platoon in eastern AFG. 7 KIA, 22 WIA, all civilians. My guys treated a dozen or so casualties, many of which had missing limbs or other massive bodily trauma. Makes what happened to CG look like a walk in the park.

And, no, a tourniquet would not be hard to use in most situations.

There, it's hard to tell. If it was on the pelvis, no tourniquet, just manual pressure. Just below, "easy" tourniquet application.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by FatCloud View Post
    So are you like missing every limb?
    Do you find something about that funny?

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Amen, Le Duke.

CAT, quik-clot gauze, and an Israeli Bandage plus other first aid incidentals are in my pack on every ride.

mtbr member
    Gee I wish I hadn't looked at that. It brings back bad
    memories. Your lucky no one filmed them.

mtbr member
    he broke his hip (weakend from an old injury) and the smashed bone severed the artery... Name:  puke.gif
Views: 788
Size:  4.8 KB

mtbr member
    Do you find something about that funny?
    Nope. Sorry to hear that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It was good Cedric and his friends kept their cool and immediately went to direct pressure. Any updates on Cedric? Also, any news on Matthew Slaven?

mtbr member
    Wait, so let me get this straight. He didn't actually cut himself with something on the trail. He broke his weakened hip, and the smashed bone severed the artery? It was enough of a break that it broke skin?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If it was a compound fracture. Bones can be razor sharp and pierce right through the skin. Cedric is a lucky man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iWiLRiDe View Post
    Wait, so let me get this straight. He didn't actually cut himself with something on the trail. He broke his weakened hip, and the smashed bone severed the artery? It was enough of a break that it broke skin?
    That's what they're saying. He smashed that hip at val di sole last year in the huge crash there that nearly killed him. So when he went down in this crash it shattered again and cut the artery and skin.

It's majorly messed up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    he broke his hip (weakend from an old injury) and the smashed bone severed the artery... Name:  puke.gif
Views: 788
Size:  4.8 KB
    That's what I gathered yesterday after some more searching and reading about it, especially on Pinkbike. Thanks for posting! I just couldn't imagine a non-capped lock-on grip doing so much injury vs one that was capped with the little plug as both diameters are exactly the same. With or without a cap, plus it's not like it's a thin walled sharp tube like fishwrinkle makes it seem in his reply even if he wasn't running the bar end caps.

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    REALLY? hmmm, lets think about this, a thin walled open ended pipe vs a capped pipe. maybe you should put down the crack pipe? LOL

man, i'm so glad he made a full recovery and he was with people that could help also. keeping calm is definitely key
    See above.

mtbr member
    It's happened to me,(femur not hipbone),. Laying there waiting
    to bleed out is not an especially pleasant experience and I do
    not recommend it. With extreme riding I can guarantee that if
    you do it long enough your body will pay the price. As seen,
    even a seemingly mild ordinary trail can be one's undoing.

squish, squish in da fish
    really eurospeck, you've never crashed and had anything on your bars slide? very possible to have no cap on grip and have them slide inwards, thus resulting in thin walled pipe skewer. so whateva to yourself pompous lil man. ur still a crack head

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast