mtbr member

Idea! Wouldn't it be nice to have Fox 32-series forks on 20mm

With the recent spread of 5 - 5.5 inches AM-Trail bikes and their wide use possibilities, I see that Fox might be missing a single, little point when it comes to their 32-series forks. They should have an option with 20mm axle in the line-up, but keeping the standard QR versions. With low weight 20mm hubs wheels coming out, such the Mavic Crossmax ST, it would rock to have additional stiffness and strenght on our beloved TALAS, Float and Vanilla 32. Both Manitou and Rockshox have 5.5 inches forks with 20mm axles with Minute (that has both 20mm and QR options) and Pike, so I think why not Fox, and it would be a good choice for those who want to go bigger and harder, without having to move to the monster-drops-oriented F36 series. Any thoughts anyone?

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I wouldn't call the 36 a monster drop fork.... rather an all mountain/medium-light freeride fork. Just get a 36 and quit whining

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    I wouldn't call the 36 a monster drop fork.... rather an all mountain/medium-light freeride fork. Just get a 36 and quit whining
    Ok, but the 36 can take much more abuse than the 32, and it sures handles better 6-feet drops, and quite not jumping from a cliff!

Well, I'm not sure if you understood my position about having a 20mm axle F32, but I had that in mind because I DON'T want to have a F36 Vanilla in front of my 5.5 inch, but I could for sure benefict myself with a stronger axle. It sure would be a nice option!

Anyway, I was supposed to post that in the fork forums, and I did when I saw I misposted it, but now we gonna know what we all think about it, I guess.

But I problably go 36 when I get a Nomad or 6point6...

Motion activated
    My thoughts are that I'd still by a Pike over a FOX 32 fork anyway.

But I agree, 20mm should be standard on just about all forks over 100mm. Even my wife @115lb marvels over the stiffness of her new 20mm TA fork.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    My thoughts are that I'd still by a Pike over a FOX 32 fork anyway.

But I agree, 20mm should be standard on just about all forks over 100mm. Even my wife @115lb marvels over the stiffness of her new 20mm TA fork.
    Yep, more money for the Fox only to have it start spewing oil from the seals, sweet.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Yep, more money for the Fox only to have it start spewing oil from the seals, sweet.
    True, Fox's stock seals suck. Enduros took care of things nicely.

There was a thread about this exact topic a while ago. Lots of people chimed in saying that they'd like a 20mm 32.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's a crap excuse in my book because my 2005 Vanilla is still dry as a bone and it's been flogged. PUSH'd this year for another couple yrs of "dry seal" performance".

I think the reason Fox doesn't TA the 32 is b/c for it's intended purpose, the TA is overkill.
    Last edited by chelboed; 07-14-2007 at 06:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    That's a crap excuse in my book because my 2005 Vanilla is still dry as a bone and it's been flogged. PUSH'd this year for another couple yrs of "dry seal" performance".
    The seals in my 36 lasted about 6 months. Enduros have been solid so far.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

I think the reason Fox doesn't TA the 32 is b/c for it's intended purpose, the TA is overkill.
    Yaaaaaa, no.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Motion activated
    TA on a 140mm fork is overkill? The difference in stiffness between my 05' Vanilla and 06 Pike was huge. Granted Fox have improved the stiffness with new lowers in 07', but a TA just seems like a no brainier IMHO. All mountain friends don't let friends ride QR forks! Flex is the anti-Christ and flex in anything to do with steering is doubly evil.

<--- Check out this guy smirking at all those QR AM forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Fox sells so many of its 32mm QR forks that they probably do not care yet. I think thier next redesign will result in a 140 TA. They don't have the equivalent of the Pike in their lineup and the Pike is a great fork. However, they have so much of the OE market that they probably don't care too much yet.

mtbr member
    Well, from my side, I'd like to have it. I like Fox forks and shocks, so for me it would make a great addition. But regarding the Pike, it's an awesome suspension, but it would be really nice if RockShox could trim some weight, just a little, and make it more atractive for those who seek a great and stiff fork and yet light. It would still be as reliable as it is today and could reach more bikers on the light side of the trail.

Anyway, I think that the best to date TA 5.5 fork is the Pike, and I'll problably spec one on my new bike. I'm looking for a frame and fork to replace my 05 Enduro and its Float 130, and both the Intense 5.5 EVP and Pike seems to match each other perfectly. I'll need another pair of shoes as well, but that's something else.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    ...it would be really nice if RockShox could trim some weight, just a little, and make it more atractive for those who seek a great and stiff fork and yet light...

Pace Fighter anyone?

https://www.pacecycles.com/product.a...D=2&subcat=468

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    Well, from my side, I'd like to have it. I like Fox forks and shocks, so for me it would make a great addition. But regarding the Pike, it's an awesome suspension, but it would be really nice if RockShox could trim some weight, just a little, and make it more atractive for those who seek a great and stiff fork and yet light. It would still be as reliable as it is today and could reach more bikers on the light side of the trail.
    How much lighter? How much more money are you willing to pay for that extra weight savings? How much (potential) durability are you willing to give up for that extra weight savings?

They've got a great fork, at a decent price point, that isn't stupid heavy. As the travel goes up, and you want that 20mm stiffness, there are compromises to be made. For the seeming intended purpose of a nearly 6" travel fork with 20mm capability, how light do you want to push it before you start worrying about reliability and chassis integrity?

I've done some things with my Pike that made me very glad they didn't shave a bit of extra weight here and there...

That cliched bit from Bontrager I have found to be absolutely true in regards to most things part wise in the mtb world.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

fux
    Scooterist
    I have swapped my talas for a pike for some extra stiffness and dont have any regrets.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, a Float 36 is ~5lbs, and you can space it down to 130mm.
    That seems like an ok option.
    Or Pike, sure.
    Or, Minutes now come with 20mm QR and are 140mm travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    IŽd like to have a FOX 34 TALAS with 90/120/150mm, Maxle 360° TA, Weight ~2000g. Would be a nice fork for the new Heckler

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    TA on a 140mm fork is overkill? The difference in stiffness between my 05' Vanilla and 06 Pike was huge.
    I can kinda understand that, but for the intended purpose...is the fork overly flexy? Ya got so many people out there saying "Why can't the Fox 32 be like the PIKE? The PIKE is better b/c it has a through axle." Well...buy a PIKE and leave the Fox 32 alone.

I weigh 195lbs and I don't sense enough flex in my 32 Vanilla to throw off my steering or not be able to carve a line. I honestly don't know what "flex" you're talking about.

Granted, I'm not doing gravity runs and whatever I descend I also have to climb but the 32 is obviously not made for gravity runs. Nor is it made for hucking. That's what the 36 and 40 are for, right? Wrong?

Motion activated
    I honestly don't know what "flex" you're talking about.
    You may not notice it now, but most people who try a 20mm fork will never go back. Do you have an 07? Maybe they are a lot stiffer that my 05 was.

Granted, I'm not doing gravity runs and whatever I descend I also have to climb but the 32 is obviously not made for gravity runs. Nor is it made for hucking. That's what the 36 and 40 are for, right? Wrong?
    Well it's a 140mm fork, so yeah, you can huck, drop and do lift runs. You can do pretty much anything as long as you're not bottoming it out hard all the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah...mine's a 2005. I also have a pretty dang stiff front wheel, so maybe that's making up for something.

I tried a cheap'o Marzocchi 20mm TA fork and hated it. I didn't get to ride it long enough to appreciate the TA b/c the internals were sooooooooooo crappy. (it was old too)

I wouldn't mind trying out a "good" TA fork now just to see what all the HOOPLA is about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jirka
    IŽd like to have a FOX 34 TALAS with 90/120/150mm, Maxle 360° TA, Weight ~2000g. Would be a nice fork for the new Heckler
    Ok, but it's called the Marzocchi 55