hikebike-bagpeak

would you want to know what your riding?

If your about to tackle a route that you know is not all singletrack, but is going to have good portions of 4wd, dirt and even paved, would you want to know what percentages are of one surface or another? What brings me to this question you ask???? I'm in the final stage of formatting a mtb trail guidebook, and trying to get an idea of what would be preferred.
    Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
    www.radtrek.com/blog.html

mtbr member
    For a guide book, the more information the better. A rough % of the various terrain types would only benefit readers. The only down side I see is people potentially getting too caught up in the %s to determine whether a trail is worth riding. For example a trail with 70% fireroad climb to the top and single track to the bottom could be better OR worse than a trail thats 100% single track. But the guide book would likely include enough other info to help in that decision.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

hikebike-bagpeak
    Thanx 4 the feedback

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by fattirefreak View Post
    If your about to tackle a route that you know is not all singletrack, but is going to have good portions of 4wd, dirt and even paved, would you want to know what percentages are of one surface or another? What brings me to this question you ask???? I'm in the final stage of formatting a mtb trail guidebook, and trying to get an idea of what would be preferred.
    You're (see what I did just then?) writing a book and you can't work out the difference between "you are" and possessive your? Not a good start.

Busting balls aside, if you have the information then I would put it in. I find that when I reach for a guidebook that I haven't seen one of any activity that has presented me with too much information. More often than not it is too little information so I could see that on a multi surface trail that giving a breakdown would be a nice addition. I've certainly been on a new trail where it has been different than my expectations where more than I thought has ended up as double track or jeep road (I'm looking at you, Poison Spider); it could be based on a lack of me consulting multiple sources but if I'm reading a ride summary I would like to know as much about the ride as possible from one source. I'm becoming redundant, I'll stop now.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    You're (see what I did just then?) writing a book and you can't work out the difference between "you are" and possessive your? Not a good start.
    I would of pointed that out but your to quick!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by msu alum View Post
    i wood of pointed that out but your to quick!
    fify
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    fify
    Dam!

hikebike-bagpeak
    Yep. You got me. Haste makes waste.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fattirefreak View Post
    I am floored that someone putting together an mtb guide book even has to ask this question (I realize you may not be the author).

OF COURSE you want to know this. At the very least I would want to know what is paved, dirt/fire road, or trail. I don't need an exact number, but at least a general idea (rounded to the nearest 10%). Doubletrack vs singletrack can be a little hard to be exact on, but some reference in the trail description would be nice.

Shouldn't this be pretty clearly indicated on the map which I would assume is included?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    YES. Include the percentages of trail types. I did a ride once in Australia that was described as "one of the best rides in Australia with stunning scenery." It was 90% fire road...I was pissed.